Problems with DVD-R in standalone

Sorry for the double post but I managed to post the first time in the wrong forum.

I have a Lite-on 1635S and a Pioneer 106D burner(actually a memorex dual). Latest firmware in both drives. I am using DVDShrink to encode on the fly to the hard drive as multiple files. This way I can watch the movies from the hard drive and burn later. I use Nero 6.xx.xx to burn always but have tried others like decrypter, clone, etc. I drag the video_ts folder to Nero and burn away. Every DVD+R disc I burn will work in my standalone. DVD-R discs in the standalone will read the volume label briefly and then give a message on the screen that says “incompatible disc”. I can read that same DVD-R disc into my computer, rip it to HD, then burn it on DVD+R media and it will work on my standalone. After reading some of the posts here on this subject I came up with checking the settings in Shrink to see if I have the total file size set to large in Shrink. I don’t think I changed those settings from factory and used a “custom” size. Even if I did… wouldn’t the DVD+R discs not work as well?!?

The standalone I’m using us a 2004 model KOSS. I don’t think this model is the issue as a friend of mine is not able to play my discs.

I am getting frustrated at this point. I don’t think it’s the media. I have tried MANY different -R media, all burned at 4X and have the same results.

Would it be possible to run nero’s cdspeed on the -R discs and diagnose the problem with that? If so, please let me know what test and what results to look for.

If I am able to read the -R disc, then burn to +R and work… what gives? I thought I should be having the problem happen the other way around.

HELPLESS, for the moment.

i think the answer is fairly obvious that your standalone is simply unable to read dvd-r.

Also, many hi-end and very expensive DVD players like KOSS and MARANTZ absolutely SUCK(!) at recognizing DVD writable media! Even if they are relatively new. Because they are or were (over-?) optimized for reading the DVD-ROM standard no matter what their advertising & specs stated about being able to read +/-R disks. Many times the lowly $50, walmart player does a better job of recognizing recordable media. Generally, -R media is recognized by more players than +R, hence the popularity of booktyping (bitsetting) in the +R arena.

Your Pioneer 106D is not capable of booktyping by default. Even the new 110D won’t do it. Actually, I was not even aware that the 106 would burn +R because at that point in Pioneer’s history, it was pretty firmly entrenched in the -R arena. The 106 must have been their first model that was +R capable.

But, Booktyping is the way to go so when you upgrade that old burner, get one that does it by default. Then no more problems because all players will see it as a DVD-ROM.

Which is the best DVD burner today that booktypes automatically?

Is a booktyped DVD+R better (more compatible) than a DVD-R?

Howzit trilite! Good to meet you.

You’re not gonna get any attention posting on this fellows thread.

Go to this section of cdf:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61

Read the “Stickies” first. I.E. the Bold Faced “Read First:” threads that are above the actual member-created threads. If that does not give you the info you want then create your own thread to ask your question.

Be sure to state the backup softwares you use (CloneDVD, AnyDVD, DVD Decrypter, Shrink etc.) and maybe a little about your computer rig. I personally recommend the that if you buy nothing else, buy the CloneDVD/AnyDVD combination (saw your other postings asking for “Which is best”).

You want a drive that will booktype by default (very important!) rather than depending on a backup software package to tell the drive to booktype. Be aware that there is often “hacked” firmware “obtainable” that will allow some drives with inadequate manufacturer’s firmware to booktype better. At the above link, you should get plenty of answers on drives that bitset by default. Remember that there is no one truth and that every answer is an opinion based on their experiences, their software choices and their rigs. In the end weigh out your own decision for your own needs.

Best regards,
Whisperer

Dude!

I just noticed you posted the same question “AnyDVD vs. DVD43 vs. DVDD. Which is better?” in three different forum areas and I’m now sorry I even took the time to answer this post of yours!

Damn, why do you new guys DO that? It’s so 9 years old! Quit multi-posting!

I’m so outa here!

IMHO it’s down to unrealistic expectations. Some individuals have very little patience; they expect an instant response. When no-one has replied on the first forum by the time it takes to make a coffee, it’s posted somewhere else and so on. All the while of course, not realising people are contributing free advice here in their hard-earned free time - when it’s available. Sadly, with the pressures everyone is under in their lives, coupled with the ridiculous needs of the “I want served yesterday” culture, you’ll see more and more of this on forums.

TZ

A litle research would show that the Koss players are not that reliable with -R disks.
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers?DVDname=KOSS&Submit=Search&Search=Search&dvdportable=&dvdchanger=&dvdtv=&chipset=&country=&orderby=Name&hits=25