Problems with DVD Conler 5

Hi all

I recently bought DVD Cloner based on the rave reviews here - http://dvd-copy-software-review.toptenreviews.com/ and I finally got round to using it last weekend and backed up a few movies.

Sat down to watch Panic Room last night and it worked perfectly until about an hour in and then it simply went back to the start. I then checked another clone that I made - Star Trek Nemesis and it lasted about 1 hour 20 mins and the same thing happened - back to the beginning. :frowning:

Hopefully somebody can point me in the right direction. I’m using the internal DVD-ROM in my PC (a new HP) to read the DVD and an external LG GSA-E30L to burn the DVDs.

Here’s some more info -
I’m using Verbatim DVD+R disks, 16x, 4.7GB
DVD Cloner is set to copy movie only with a single AC3 soundtrack - no menus or extras
DVD Cloner is set to Read: Mid, Write: Max and DVD5 size is set to 4.7GB

Any help greatly appreciated!

Still did not tell us your problem. Did DVD cloner give you a trial before you bought it? I always try then buy because most time there is just to much hype in order to get you to buy then no real support when it will not work right or at least like you thought it would. Plenty of smart rippers here that should give some good advice if we knew what the problems are. Welcome to the forum Cormac.

Thanks for the reply tgidday. The problem is that the backed up movies stop after a time and go back to be beginning of the movie. Fast forwarding only brings you to the point where the movie stopped playing - it’s as if the full movie hasn’t recorded.

You are right about try before buy but I did a lot of research (well I though I did :doh:) snd selected DVD Cloner based on reveiws.

Do you have any suggestions on what I can try? I’m thinking about reducing the burn speed from 16x to 12x but apart from that I simply dunno :confused:

Depending on what media you are using 8x is a safer bet to get good burns, what is an extra minute or three.

DVD Cloner is a scam. It is merely the free DVD Shrink, but repackaged into a commercial program. I’m also highly suspect of toptenreviews.com and the objectiveness of their scores and reviews.

Any time you have trouble playing a DVD, try playing it on another DVD player or in your computer to see if the problem reproduces itself. This will help narrow down the possibilities of what’s causing your problems. Try doing this and report your findings back to us.

An even better idea (for the future) is to play the compressed video files on your computer before you burn them to a disc so that you can avoid wasting a disc if there are problems with the files.

[quote=AZImmortal;2009940]DVD Cloner is a scam. It is merely the free DVD Shrink, but repackaged into a commercial program. I’m also highly suspect of toptenreviews.com and the objectiveness of their scores and reviews.

Any time you have trouble playing a DVD, try playing it on another DVD player or in your computer to see if the problem reproduces itself. This will help narrow down the possibilities of what’s causing your problems. Try doing this and report your findings back to us.

An even better idea (for the future) is to play the compressed video files on your computer before you burn them to a disc so that you can avoid wasting a disc if there are problems with the files.[/quote]

Thanks AZ - some good advice there.

If what you say avout DVD Cloner and the review website are correct, what DVD copy package would you recommend? It’s always goo to get a recommendation for someone based on experience!

OK, I’ve gone through the reviews on the CD Freaks forum and DVDFab Platinum seems to get the best reviews from users. I think i’ll go with that (unless there is another recommendation!).

Thanks

That is the software I have used since 2004 never let me down, never a yearly or new version fee. By it once and that is it. Get updates on new protection and features faster than just about anyone else, like every week or so it seems. Matter of fact a new beta today was released.

[QUOTE=Cormac;2009960]OK, I’ve gone through the reviews on the CD Freaks forum and DVDFab Platinum seems to get the best reviews from users. I think i’ll go with that (unless there is another recommendation!).

Thanks[/QUOTE]

There is also the software package that you can get from www.slysoft.com. They are very good at their software as well. But you have to get two software to do what you need Anydvd to decrypt or ripp and then clonedvd or clonecd to compress or burn to the media. But when you do copy and burn make sure your not multitasking to let your computer finish its’ job then after that you can do what you want. But also make sure you don’t burn such a fast speed as well and get a decent media as well.

DVD Fab and CloneDVD are both good choices. Make sure you use the trial for any software before committing to the purchase. I personally use DVD Fab Decrypter to rip my DVDs and DVD Rebuilder to compress them, so it’s a two-step process. Some find it easier to use software that will do it all in one step without user intervention, such as DVD Fab Platinum or CloneDVD + AnyDVD.

[quote=AZImmortal;2009940]DVD Cloner is a scam. It is merely the free DVD Shrink, but repackaged into a commercial program. I’m also highly suspect of toptenreviews.com and the objectiveness of their scores and reviews.
[/quote]
I have to agree and disagree.
I bought DVD Cloner V and I have found that it works great as long as you do not try to burn Double layer disks. The dounble layer disks it produces will not play in any of my DVD players nor on my PC.
I have brought this problem to the attention of the DVD Cloner people and they say they are working on a fix.
so I agree that it is a scam. I bought based on the same website recommendation and I doubt they are objective.
I disagree that it is a knock off of DVD Shrink as even the full version of DVD cloner does not have all the features of DVD Shrink.

I don’t see how having fewer features shows that it’s not a knock off. All they have to do is not enable specific features while keeping others.

Well guys, I went ahead and got DVDFab Platinum and it works like a dream :slight_smile:

Thanks for the advice!

AZI is absolutely right. This pseudo-software caused a lot of problems for many users. Just look through the Forum and you will find interesting posts dealing with this issue.

There are a lot of useful, effective software for your purpose, have a look here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f62/

New here, but found you via Google. I’m having the same problem as Cormac with my trial to Cloner 5. I’ve tried twice and twice the same issue. I suspect that I’m only copying in 1:1 mode rather than with compression. That would be the reason that the entire movie plus menues, etc. doesn’t copy on a single DVD-R. The problem is that I haven’t been able to set the compression on. Using the symbol for compression seems to imply no menues, which I want. Using the simple that has a balloon which seems to indicate copying from DVD-9 to DVD-5 is what gets this.

I must be doing something wrong. Any suggestions?

[quote=HarvR;2014981]New here, but found you via Google. I’m having the same problem as Cormac with my trial to Cloner 5. I’ve tried twice and twice the same issue. I suspect that I’m only copying in 1:1 mode rather than with compression. That would be the reason that the entire movie plus menues, etc. doesn’t copy on a single DVD-R. The problem is that I haven’t been able to set the compression on. Using the symbol for compression seems to imply no menues, which I want. Using the simple that has a balloon which seems to indicate copying from DVD-9 to DVD-5 is what gets this.

I must be doing something wrong. Any suggestions?[/quote]

The only thing you are doing wrong is using DVD Cloner 5. Please try a real, genuine software: CloneDVD2 (www.slysoft.com).

Good luck.

[quote=alex thyl;2016055]The only thing you are doing wrong is using DVD Cloner 5. Please try a real, genuine software: CloneDVD2 (www.slysoft.com).

Good luck.[/quote]

I was just about to write the exact same reply.
Then I just downloaded and the latest version of DVD Cloner (Version 5.2)
It seems to work now.

They did take about two months to fix the problem, but it does seem to work now.
I just burned a double layer disk in 1:1 mode and it works.