Problems with DVD burned on Sony AW-Q170A -- can't be read by standalone DVD player

I am asking this question as I have searched many times and haven’t found an answer that applies yet.

I installed a DVD-RW (Sony/Optiarc AW-Q170A, firmware 1.72) in my parents’ computer and I am unable to burn a DVD that will play on their standalone DVD player. The media is Memorex DVD+R. I know that’s not great but it’s what I have available to me. Plus, after 5 identical looking coasters, I’m thinking there’s a pattern.

I can burn and read/play CDs with this new drive. But when I burn a DVD, the two laptops that are here will play it (Power DVD) and the DVD-ROM on the tower PC where the new burner is installed will play it. But the standalone DVD player will not.

The computer with the new burner has Windows XP Home SP2 with Nero 7.5 for burning. I burned at 2.4x and can’t burn any slower. I’ve run the Nero tools and it produced a data DVD successfully and appears to be okay. It ran all the surface scan tests, etc. and no errors. The PI and

What I noticed that seems odd: I burned a homemade DVD on my home PC on a TDK 4.7GB DVD media. The burned area of that disc extends about 3/8" to 1/2" out from the center (sorry, no metric conversion available). The DVD I burned here only fills up about 1/4" of the disc from the center and is on Memorex. When I put the TDK I burned on my computer into their standalone DVD player to watch on TV, it works fine. When I put the Memorex I burned on this new Sony/Optiarc drive, the DVD player shows a message “Load Error”.

I’m at my wits end with this bloody thing. I uninstalled and reinstalled Nero and that got the CD burning part to work. I haven’t done anything to the drive, like flash the firmware–its the original that came with the drive.

Do any of you kind folks have any suggestions as to what to try next?

Thank you

Bump…still clueless as to possible causes and problem still exists.

Why are you burning at such low speed? Do you have some 2.4x media lying around? With modern media, burning that slow could actually cause bad results, which seems to be the case. Try 12x at least and see how it turns out.

It could also be that your parent’s DVD player does not support playback of DVD+R discs. You could try to either use DVD-R discs instead or flash your drive with a bitsetting firmware and change the default booktype for DVD+R to DVD-ROM. But don’t forget to backup your old firmware first.

Thanks for your suggestions. That’s a good idea and one I hadn’t thought of. I suspect that DVD+R media isn’t the problem, though.

The reason is because I burned a copy of a slide show on a DVD+R on my home PC and it plays just fine on their home player and all four of the PCs and laptops we have between us.

I brought home one of the blank DVD+Rs from their house and burned it with my computer. I have the same size area used on the disc as I saw at their house, so I understand now that’s because of the media, not the burner. I also tried the disc I burned with their media on my PC, my laptop and my standalone player and it plays fine in all three.

I’ll take the one I burned with me at Thanksgiving when I see them again and see if it will play in their home player. If it does work, then it’s definitely something with [B]their[/B] burner.

I’m also going to bring a couple of discs that I use to try with their burner to see if that makes a difference.

Then I’ll look at the bitsetting thing to make the default DVD-ROM instead of DVD+R.

I read the Binflash instructions and I see how to dump the existing firmware to a file to save it off. I also see how to make the command to flash with set new firmware.

Please understand that I’m pretty much a beginner and know almost nothing about firmware other than it exists and has versions.

I have four (hopefully) simple questions:

1. Which version of comparable Optiarc firmware does it have now? The Sony version is 1.72.
  2. Which new firmware do I need? There is a Liggy’s AD-5170A Bitsetting firmware with versions 1.11, 1.12 and 1.13.
  3. Is the command to change to DVD-ROM as simple as running
    "[I]C:>[B]necflash -setbt DVD+R DVD-ROM perm 1.0.0" [/B][/I]from a DOS prompt?
  4. Do I need to boot into safe mode before doing the backup, new flash and the bit setting?

Thank you Liggy and KTL

1 & 2) You can use either the LD 1.04bt (original with bitsetting) or 1.M1 (tweaked with bitsetting).
3) No need to run from a DOS prompt, just download the latest necflash_wingui.zip and extract the executable.
4) You can backup without going through SAFE mode, but since you will be flashing it in SAFE mode, might as well do it there first. Make sure you change the DMA transfer mode to PIO through Device Manager. Otherwise, you may get a checksum error message.

[QUOTE=KTL;1927780]1 & 2) You can use either the LD 1.04bt (original with bitsetting) or 1.M1 (tweaked with bitsetting).[/QUOTE]
Wrong. The AW-Q170A is a rebadged AD-5170A - not an AD-7170A. So 1.13 or 1.M1 should be the right firmwares

Flashing the drive is the only task that needs to be done with the drive set to PIO mode. Either by booting into safe mode or by manually changing the setting in the device manager.

[quote=Liggy;1928053]Wrong. The AW-Q170A is a rebadged AD-5170A - not an AD-7170A. So 1.13 or 1.M1 should be the right firmwares

Flashing the drive is the only task that needs to be done with the drive set to PIO mode. Either by booting into safe mode or by manually changing the setting in the device manager.[/quote]

Thank you for the information.

So that I could have an idea of what the PIO change might require from Device Manager, I looked at the Device Manager on my home PC. I opened the CD/DVD ROM drives and found my own burner. When I click on Properties on the context menu, I don’t see anything regarding DMA transfer mode.

I went through Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Device Manager.

Is there some other way to access the Device Manager that will allow me to see the DMA transfer mode? Or should it be where I’m looking but I’m just missing it?

Thanks for your help.

[quote=Liggy;1928053]Wrong. The AW-Q170A is a rebadged AD-5170A - not an AD-7170A. So 1.13 or 1.M1 should be the right firmwares
[/quote]

My mistake, I confused the Q170A with G170A. :doh:

[QUOTE=DirkStainly;1928136]So that I could have an idea of what the PIO change might require from Device Manager, I looked at the Device Manager on my home PC. I opened the CD/DVD ROM drives and found my own burner. When I click on Properties on the context menu, I don’t see anything regarding DMA transfer mode.[/QUOTE]
That’s the wrong location. The DMA mode is set for your IDE controller, not the drive itself. But then again you need to know, which controller (primary or secondary) your drive is attached to and whether it’s set to master or slave.

I know the jumper for the new DVD-RW drive is configured to “master” because it didn’t want to work when it was set to slave.

I went to the IDE properties in Device manager on my home computer and aside from the hard drive channel, I see a Primary IDE Channel.

When I look at the properties, it says for [B]device 0[/B], transfer mode is “DMA if available”. Current transfer mode is “Ultra DMA Mode 2”. The same settings are used for [B]device 1[/B] (I have a DVD ROM and DVD D/L burner in my home PC).

If my parents’ PC has a primary and a secondary IDE, I would guess the DVD-ROM and new DVD burner are on the same IDE channel because they are connected as part of the same ribbon cable.

So if I change the IDE on my parents’ PC to PIO only for [B]both[/B] drives (I don’t have to worry about which is which that way) I can boot into safe mode and flash the drive and do the bitsetting and that may fix my problem?

Once the flash is complete, can I set the drives back to “DMA if available” or whatever setting they have before I did the drive flash?

By golly I might just be able to do this with your great assistance!

Liggy, it worked!!

Thank you for all your help and the great firmware. I would never have figured this out on my own.

I am able to burn DVDs on my folks’ burner and they play on their home player.

They’re happy and I look like a genius.

Don’t worry, I gave you the credit.

Thanks again and have a great Thanksgiving.

Im Just Did Register Here to post a very big THANKS !!!

To liggy… Master !

It works for me ! u save me money buddy! thanks alot !!

I used 1.13 Optiarc and my dvd isnt burning now :(!!!
just reading
to burn i have to stay changin between optiarc and sony :(! (original dumped)

sorry for multipost

but I did a mistake…

My dvd wont burn even if I change the firmware … just dont burn whatever I do :frowning:

FokinSony, you might have to check the DMA status on the drive.

Take a look at this thread

[quote=Kerry56;1998073]FokinSony, you might have to check the DMA status on the drive.

Take a look at this thread[/quote]
I had tried that… but is the same, for example:

[B]Alcohol [/B]stop in wainting a cd… the wierd is alcohol recognize a Blank Cd but wont want to start to write.

[B]Ashampo [/B]Dont start to write.

before Flash I can burn dvds and CD but canot read
after flash I can read dvds and CDs but cannot burn

sorry the english

cant edit so i go to post again :S

I tried another image and it start :S! to burn :S

Maybe is the cue who is bad :S dunno look

FILE "image.bin" BINARY
  TRACK 01 MODE1/2048
    INDEX 01 00:00:00

damn… i tried mounting it and copy and wont work :S

I go to post my own post and post it more clear cause many times I talk before time to get fast answers… and told wrong things cause that…

My drive is sony DVD -RW .Model is AD-7170A.Now he can read DVD .So tell me how to repair! Thank!