Problems with CloneCD

vbimport

I hope I’m not in the wrong forum. I read a post from James in this forum where he mentions beta CloneCD 5302 so I thought it would be all right to ask my question here.

I am currently using AnyDVD version 6107 and CloneCD 5302. I am running Windows XP service pak 2 with all patches. From time to time I also use CloneDVD2 version 2903 to make backups of purchased movies.

My problem is when using CloneCD with Verbatim DVD +R DL (made in Singapore) the copy process appears to hang up at the layer break. To make copies I use an internal Sony 710 drive with the latest revision BYX5. If I make copies using CloneDVD2 I have no problems.

I like CloneCD and would like to use it instead of CloneDVD2 because of exact copies. However, it seems like all I’ve been making lately are coasters.
The movies I have been having difficulty with are The Black Dahlia and Snakes on a Plane yet I can copy The Descent utilizing CloneCD without any difficulty.

Thank you for any help
BigBadJ

New Here! can ANY DVD be put on more than one Cp, or do you need to buy more reg. keys?

One key will suffice, if you aren’t using the computers at the same time.

OK, thanks much, trial ran out and I use a laptop plus my Desktop to copy. Did not have one problem with any copy and I use 1 click with Any dvd.

thanks again

when you you use cloneCD, are you still running AnyDVD at same time?
AD must be running at all times

otherwise it is ususally just a simple rip as there are no options to change

1. Change the booktype to dvd-rom before burning. Use http://www.cdspeed2000.com/ if you have to–but make sure
    the booktype is changed to dvd-rom first. Clonecd won’t do this for you.

2. Burn these discs at 4x. What speed are you burning at? You might want to reduce your burn speed, if possible. Generally 4x is ideal for most burners with Verbatim +R DL media (the kind that is sold at “2.4x–up to 8x speed with compatible drives” or something like that).

3. Do not burn on the fly.

the copy process appears to hang up at the layer break.

Clonecd hangs while burning?

Playback on your computer hangs? Have you tried playing the discs in your burner?

Playback on a standalone dvd player hangs?

What hangs exactly?

Do you get an error message? If so, what is that exact error message?

Some burners just don’t handle double layer media very well–even Verbatim (I cringe to think what will happen when they start to be made in India again, and that’s going to happen very soon). I suspect if I looked at a PI/PIF graph of your burns, there’s probably a large spike right at the layer break. It’s possible you came across a couple of bad blanks. More than likely you just produced bad burns. I’ve never been a huge fan of Sony/Lite-on burners.

The movies I have been having difficulty with are The Black Dahlia and Snakes on a Plane yet I can copy The Descent utilizing CloneCD without any difficulty.

In terms of software, this would imply a problem with Anydvd–rather than Clonecd since you were able to backup The Descent. But Anydvd handles those other two titles, afaik. Consequently, the problem may have to do with your burn speed–or simply coming across a couple of bad blanks. It’s also possible your burner is dying.

why not using imgburn?

Why bother?

Clonecd and Anydvd are a much faster and easier combination, provided you figure out how to use the software properly.

1. Change the booktype to dvd-rom before burning. Use http://www.cdspeed2000.com/ if you have to–but make sure
    the booktype is changed to dvd-rom first. Clonecd won’t do this for you.

Can you point me to an article or instructions how to do this?

1. Burn these discs at 4x. What speed are you burning at? You might want to reduce your burn speed, if possible.

Using CloneCD where can I change the burning speed?

1. Do not burn on the fly.

I don’t

Quote:
the copy process appears to hang up at the layer break.

Clonecd hangs while burning?

Yes

Playback on your computer hangs? Have you tried playing the discs in your burner?

The orignals play in the burner

Playback on a standalone dvd player hangs?

No

What hangs exactly?

The burn process, I’m guessing at the layer break.

Do you get an error message? If so, what is that exact error message?

It is a wrtie message I’ve seen in the headings of some threads.

Some burners just don’t handle double layer media very well–even Verbatim (I cringe to think what will happen when they start to be made in India again, and that’s going to happen very soon). I suspect if I looked at a PI/PIF graph of your burns, there’s probably a large spike right at the layer break. It’s possible you came across a couple of bad blanks. More than likely you just produced bad burns.

Not so. I have tried other DL discs such as Memorex that hang during the burning process at exactly the same spot.

Quote:

In terms of software, this would imply a problem with Anydvd–rather than Clonecd since you were able to backup The Descent. But Anydvd handles those other two titles, afaik. Consequently, the problem may have to do with your burn speed–or simply coming across a couple of bad blanks. It’s also possible your burner is dying.

Maybe the burner is dying. However, I can copy using CloneDVD2. Wouldn’t the burner be dying for that software as well?

Last edited by Webslinger : 1 Minute Ago at 11:40.

Yes, I have Anydvd running all the time.

Run Nero cd-dvd speed. Put the blank in your burner. Click “Extra” and then “bitsetting”. Where it says “DVD+R DL”, change the booktype to “dvd-rom” and click “set”. If possible, check “set as default”–so you don’t have to do this each time before using Clonecd.

All this does is improve playback compatibility with standalone dvd players. Doing this doesn’t explain why Clonecd is hanging when you burn.

Using CloneCD where can I change the burning speed?

After you select your burner, there is a screen that has a drop down box for “write speed”.

It is a wrtie message I’ve seen in the headings of some threads.

This one?

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=126827

You probably used a bad blank. But you may want to read that thread for possible solutions.

Not so. I have tried other DL discs such as Memorex that hang during the burning process at exactly the same spot.

That would be because Memorex is one of the worst brands of blank media you can possibly buy (and not just DL stuff). I won’t touch anything Memorex sells. That junk will fail more often than Verbatim +R DL media (made in Singapore, which tends to be one of the best +R DL media you can buy, basically).

Maybe the burner is dying. However, I can copy using CloneDVD2. Wouldn’t the burner be dying for that software as well?

Are you using double layer media with Clonedvd2–and it’s working?
And Verbatim +R DL media with Clonecd causes Clonecd to hang on your system? If the Verbatim +R DL stuff is working with Clonedvd2, then it’s possible you just ran into a couple of bad blanks or are burning at the wrong speed in Clonecd.

This one?

You probably used a bad blank. But you may want to read that thread for possible solutions.

Quote:

That would be because Memorex is one of the worst brands of blank media you can possibly buy (and not just DL stuff). I won’t touch anything Memorex sells. That junk will fail more often than Verbatim +R DL media (made in Singapore, which tends to be one of the best +R DL media you can buy, basically).

Quote:

Are you using double layer media with Clonedvd2–and it’s working?

Yes, I am and it is working.

And Verbatim +R DL media with Clonecd causes Clonecd to hang on your system?

Yes it does.

If the Verbatim +R DL stuff is working with Clonedvd2, then it’s possible you just ran into a couple of bad blanks or are burning at the wrong speed in Clonecd.

O.K. Thanks for the help!

bigB
need some clarification
From you first post it seemed that you had a ripping ie read error of the original disk
and not reached the burning stage?

Based on the OP’s posts in this thread, I’m pretty sure Clonecd burns about half the disc and then produces this error message:

I suspect the OP either encountered some bad blanks or was burning at the wrong speed.

Webs
Gotch-ya
I guess then there are as you say 2 0r 3 possibilities
a) bad media
b) burn speed too high - keep at 2.4x
c) firmware does not support this media well

copy = rip and burn :confused:

I’m also having problems with snakes on a plane. It rips fine but after I shrink it using dvd shrink I mount the iso to test it out and playback is really slow and choppy. The original plays fine though. I’ve ripped with dvd decrypter and the newest dvdfab and they both produce the same results. Has anybody else come across this or am I just unlucky?

btw I know mine isn’t a clone cd problem, but since it was the same movie I thought posting here made more sense than starting a new thread.

Sounds like poor quality media…