Problems with cdr media audio playback

I have burned audio on several brands of 650MB CDRs and have had very few problems with playing them back in my two car CD players. However this is not the case for the two brands of 700MB disks I have tried, Fuji 48X (Taiyo Yuden) and Memorex 52X (Prodisc).

Is the problem with compatability of the 700MB disks with my CD players or is it just the brands I have chosen? If it is a brand issue, is there any 700 MB media known to have good compatibility with cd audio players?

Many car players cannot track more than 74 min, but you should be able to put 74 min on an 80 min CDR.

You’re right about 650Mb discs working properly and also correct about 700Mb discs exhibiting problems - it’s not the brand of media - it’s the the 700Mb spec … read my longer post in this thread:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=62750

Stick to your 650s - and build a stockpile if they are getting harder to find (definitely my experience - and I’m not talking the overpriced 74min “CD-For-Audio” discs, rather, just good 74min CD-Rs!)

It is actually a belief of mine that CD-R74s have been intentionally made scarce (or too expensive), as 80min CD-Rs are not audio spec and many people do experience your exact problem - problems finding TOC, skipping, difficulty finding the tracks on scan etc etc - and thus when these problems show-up burn after burn after burn, people may get discouraged from copying audio CDs “cos it never works”, and maybe go out and buy them, so the CD does work glitch-free … just a theory, but I feel there’s something to it …

But what is fact is that 74min discs are audio spec and 80min discs are not - as you will have read I co-own a professional recording studio - part of my job is to hand the client a master disc that the client will not bring back and say “this doesn’t play properly!” I would never hand them a CD of their work, whatever level of their accomplishment, even burnt at 1x, on an 80min disc. Not a chance. And yes, I keep a stockpile of 74s!

Being the engineer that I am, I tried 5 more brands of 700MB (bringing the total to 7 different brands I’ve tried) and 2 more 650 MB CDRs. I burned each of the disks using the same music CD at 8X using NERO 5. Again the result was none of the 700MB CDRs work correctly in my two car audio CD players but the 650 MB CDRs worked perfectly. Also this test proves that burning 700MB disks less than 74 minutes does not help. I also tried burning 700MB CDRs at 4x and 16x and it does not help.

I realize that some audio CD players will work with 700MB CDRs, like my home audio 6 disk CD changer, but the bottom line is that if you want to be able to play CDRs in a high percentage of audio CD players stick with 650MB disks.

Does someone know of any other “settings” that I can change in NERO which would allow better compatability when burning 700MB CDRs for audio use?

Don’t assume that burning slower is better, it’s not. High speed media will show more read errors when burned al low speeds than at higher speeds. The possible exception is in an older, slower, burner. But even then, you should use low speed media for low speed burns. In this instance, the more expensive audio CDR’s might prove usefull, as they are supposed to work at 1x burn speed. My own players, (car and home) do not care about the size of the disc, but won’t track past 74 min. I use nothing but 700MB blanks.
My best results with older, pickier players and drives has been with Cyanine-type CDR’s, that’s Verbatim DLP and TY (Fuji). Burn speed does not seem to be a factor, I burn everything at 32x-40x.

Originally posted by mhfnet
[B]…but the bottom line is that if you want to be able to play CDRs in a high percentage of audio CD players stick with 650MB disks.

Does someone know of any other “settings” that I can change in NERO which would allow better compatability when burning 700MB CDRs for audio use? [/B]

You’re totally correct with your tests and conclusions, mhfnet. I assume you’ve read my posts on this … no there is no way to make 700Mb/80min CD-Rs more compatible - their groove is an 80min groove, and this is regardless of whether you burn 80mins of audio or 3mins … the groove is too thin for audio and it does not comply to audio CD standards. That’s a fact - no amount of tweaking will change the CD-R80’s physical characteristics, and they’re the problem for audio CD players.

As I said, try and get CD-R74s and build a small stockpile … and remember that you can overburn a CD-R74 to 75 or possibly 76mins and it will play fine normally … if the CD you are trying to copy is say, 78mins, then either use an 80 and know the consequences, or use a 74 and leave one track off - it’s an ‘either/or’ situation at this point (too large a source CD) with no perfect solution - lose a track or burn an unreliable disc.

Sorry I don’t have a better solution for you. I’ve had my studio for a number of years now and been in the music biz even longer - if I knew a way that worked 100% with 80min discs I’d tell you, oh, and I’d be using it. Currently the way I use is ‘CD-R74’, and I and my clients never have a problem.

Cheers!

One more thing I notice in my testing. I found that disks that use cyanine dye also have much better compatibility with CD audio players than those using phthalocyanine dye. Also from what I read cyanine is more rugged. This is an issue as there seems to be more and more vendors using phthalocyanine.

In conclusion I believe the best CDRs for audio CD player compatability are 650MB and use cyanine dye.

I think this has turned out to be a good reference thread! Hope it helps others with similar 700Mb/80min CD-R audio issues!

This solved my car audio problems right off. Dug around and found some old 650mb cd’s. I havent used them in a LONG time and was glad I hadn’t. My factory car cd player plays the old-new 650mb discs perfectly now. Thanks for all the help!Now to find some more 650mb CD’s…Blockbuster had 5packs for $10 Canadian…ugh.

Thunderman_72

In conclusion I believe the best CDRs for audio CD player compatability are 650MB and use cyanine dye.

Interesting read! I just had the same problem, I burned 12 .wav file tracks on a 700 mb CD-R and it didn’t play anywhere (even my computer which I found strange).

WHERE would you recommend finding good quality, reasonably priced 650MB Cyanine dye spindles online? Are they even out there anymore? Are they similar to ‘audio’ CD-Rs that you find in the stores?

Surprisingly, the place I now still get CD-R74s from is Jaycar Electronics(?!) Do you have this chain over where you are? Great stuff too - MITSUI Gold CD-R74 @ $1AUS per piece including full jewel case.

:cool: