Problems with Capture Card (Can any one help?)

vbimport

Okay, I will try to keep it simple. I recently purchased a pci tv tuner capture card and every since I put it in my DVD burner computer, I have had nothing but problems. Don’t get me wrong, the card does capture the cable single to my hard drive, I can watch tv on my CP, but it seems to conflict with Nero 7, and there is a small problem right after it is installed (every time that I have installed it). I have wiped out my system some eight times now trying to hammer out the bugs. I have found that after the CP is wiped and before a fresh install of the operating system is put in, you must remove the card or, the system blue screens on me. I did this three times and changed the HDD twice before I figure that one out. Mind you that, you have to install the card before the drivers are installed, I checked that when it came out of the box. I have a fresh install of XP Pro with SP2 and then installed the card, (here comes the problem) fire up the computer, install the drivers, (for the card) get the screen that says “must restart” then restart as told to, the system restarts, gets to the welcome screen and “BANG” reboot on its own, and then goes to windows as though that was supposed to happen. (A double reboot) Now, I have tried to install all other software first and then the card, tried XP Pro with and without SP2 and all updates and a myriad of other ways in an attempt to get it to not double reboot, and get it to configure with Nero 7. Also, it is supposed to record in my choice of, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, VCD-NTSC, SVCD-NTSC, DVD-NTSC, VCD-PAL, SVCD-PAL, DVD-PAL, AVI, and MPEG4, however I can only get mpeg-1 or mpeg-2. When I went to the web sight to find out why, I was informed that the card is no longer supported, even though it was manufactured November 2006. This seems a little odd to me, either that or I got screwed.

The system is as follows

Computer: Dell Dimension 4400
HDD 1: Westdigital 120 GB 7200 rpms
HDD 2: Seagate 80 GB 7200
CPU: P4 1.6 Ghz
RAM: 768 MB @ 3200
DVD Rom: Generic
DVD Burner: Sony DRU-800A
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400
Capture Card: Phillips SAA7130 Honestech TVR Video Capture
Power Supply: 480 Watts

Windows XP Pro with SP2
Nero 7 Ultra
And all other appropriate drivers

Any one got any ideas?

It sounds pretty much like you got screwed. A friend of mind recommended that if I ever decide to get a tuner card, to spend the extra money and get a Hauppauge card. He does a lot of encoding so that is what he recommended. The bad thing about buying a lesser known product is that the company can decide to stop supporting it anytime they want or just totally dump the hardware support. I think the only thing you can do is try to update bioses, drivers, and software. Otherwise you will BSOD.

Have you tried moving the card around?
In general capture cards doesnt like to have shared IRQs.
I also found a rather new driver for your card but I’m not sure its 100% perfect for your card but you can give it a try at least.
http://www.jhsafe.com/safe/soft/show.asp?id=107
//Danne

IRQ change could be the solution.

Yes I had tried that before I posted, but thanks for the input, because there are times that I would not thought of that.

I had not thought of that. Do you think that there would be any kind of conflict that I could see or would show, or do you think I should try to change them manually?

First check out this forum, maybe you can find more specific info about the card/setup:
www.videohelp.com