Problems with batch conversion to xvid

Hi,

Firstly, let me say hello to the forum.

I’ve been using DVDFab Platinum (4.0.55 now) for a couple of months now and can’t seem to get round a particular problem when using the generic conversion feature.

Basically, I have ripped 18 DVDs to hard-drive using the Full Disc method and then added the main movie into the generic/xvid.audiocopy batch queue.

My first problem is that I can’t seem to select the correct resolution for standard def widescreen (720x576). The closest matches I can find are 720x400 or 1024x576. This isn’t a big problem, but I would like to know if I’m doing anything wrong.

My big problem is that at sometime during the batch process the aspect ratio changes from 16:9 to 4:3 and all subsequent conversion are then squashed into a 4:3 window (but still widescreen). I have made sure that all the movies are 16:9 to begin with.

I’ve tried changing the order of the conversions to see if it is one particular movie that’s causing it, but it doesn’t seem to make any difference.

It always seems to be around the 3rd/4th title where it starts. Which is pretty annoying when you’ve waited 16 hours for all 18 to finish!

Cheers,

NZ

Hi -

I just found the answer to this one myself, with help from another user.

Try this sequence:

1. On the startup dvdfab page, insert your disc, let it go though it ‘scanning’ bit, then select ‘generic’.

2. Select the titles you want to convert, press ‘next’.

3. On the page that comes up, select each of the titles, then press ‘configure’.

4. Assuming the configuratioin is correct, just press ok. Otherwise, set the configuration to your liking, then press ‘ok’.

5. Repeat steps 3 & 4 til you’ve selected all of the titles, one at a time, and gone through the ‘configure’, ‘ok’ sequence.

6. Now press 'start. Your titles will all rip to the correct aspect ratio, with no horizontal compression.

– Jeff

Great to see that you have the problem solved.

A suggestion…

If all the movies that you want to do are 16:9 (and most are these days), edit the profile so that that is the only resolution available.

[quote=snowskier1;1993163]Hi -

I just found the answer to this one myself, with help from another user.

Try this sequence:

1. On the startup dvdfab page, insert your disc, let it go though it ‘scanning’ bit, then select ‘generic’.

2. Select the titles you want to convert, press ‘next’.

3. On the page that comes up, select each of the titles, then press ‘configure’.

4. Assuming the configuratioin is correct, just press ok. Otherwise, set the configuration to your liking, then press ‘ok’.

5. Repeat steps 3 & 4 til you’ve selected all of the titles, one at a time, and gone through the ‘configure’, ‘ok’ sequence.

6. Now press 'start. Your titles will all rip to the correct aspect ratio, with no horizontal compression.

– Jeff[/quote]

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the advice but it hasn’t cured my problem. There is no way to set the aspect ratio in the ‘configure’ menu, but you can set the resolution.

My problem is that I will select a widescreen resolution (1024x576) but at some point during the batch conversion the aspect ratio switches from 16:9 to 4:3, so I get a 1024x576 image (with encoded black bars top and bottom) in a 4:3 frame.

I’ll add a pic tonight to highlight the problem.

Thanks again,

Steve.

Steve,
I too have had several “batch” conversion issues, and have posted them on this board… to no avail. It just doesn’t work the way it’s touted. With DVDFab 3.x, I have to go in and manually configure each item for a “batch” process. With DVDFab 4.x, I consistently get wildy wrong output sizes… after the first item, DVDFab 4.x tends to “forget” what it was configured to do. Soo… basically, yeh, I’m still using DVDFab 3.x… and I’m having to manually configure each item in a “batch” process. Good luck on getting this resolved!

Guys,

Just a tip.

You can edit the profile so that it ONLY has the resolution that you want and then NO OTHER resolution can be selected.

OK,

It looks like I might have solved this problem - although I still don’t know exactly what was causing it.

Basically, I’ve followed the total uninstall guide on this forum and reinstalled from the BETA on the DVDFab website.

It’s all working now, but will let you know if it all happens again.

Cheers,

Steve.

I just posted about this issue in a new thread.

Can anyone confirm if is now totally fixed in a later full realease, and if so, which release was the fix. I’ve checked release history at dvdfab.com but no info there. my problem is with 4.0.5.0 & I’m in the porcess of running versiou tests to try to define exactly when/how it occurs

(MODS - please feel free to merge the threads if thast is appropriate - thanks)

Hi,

Latest release is 4.1.2.0 which comes with much improved resolution handling. Includes manual overrides for cropping and aspect ratio.

Cheers,

NZ