Problems with backing up audio CDs

I am trying to backup (burn) ice cube greatest hits with “fast cd ripper” and when I choose “Refresh CD” it come up with “multi session disk” --> insert new CD .

Is there any way I can back up this disk ? My flatmates have scratched enough of my cds during partys etc and I am a complete newbie to this stuff .

Is there a site that could show programs , patches or ways to get around various protections as my collection is quite substantial .

I use a LiteON 40125-s

I’d like to ask you to read my standard text although some questions have already been answered:

a) Which drives do you have? (It depends on the hardware whether you can rip protected discs or not.)

b) Which CD would you like to extract? In order to determine protection correctly you should post the record
company (e.g. Sony Music, Universal, BMG,…) and the text on the inner ring of the disc (e.g. Sony DADC,
sonopress, DOC.data,…). Tools like Clony often show wrong results when analyzing audio protection because
every drive behaves different.

c) Is there a software player (e.g. CactusPJ.EXE) on the CD-ROM-part? If yes, is there a hidden file called
VERSION.TXT? Please post it’s content.

d) Which software have you tested? (CCD, ExactAudioCopy, Feurio, Nero, CDRwin 3.8/4.0A …)

e) Which OS do you have?

f) Have you switched off the auto insert notification?

Install ExactAudioCopy 0.9 beta 4. After the first start configure your drive(s) and select “Yes, I’m an
expert…” (very important!). Then insert the disc and select Action -> Detect TOC manually. This procedure take
a few minutes. Depending on the capabilities of your drive, after that the correct TOC should appear and you can
rip the disc. Some versions of CDS200 require a reduced reading speed because there are artificial sector-errors
inside the music-area causing clicks and drop-outs.

Feurio 1.65 is also an excellent ripper for protected discs.

BUT: The bottom line is your reading hardware. The best software can’t help you as long as your drive is unable to extract the disc. However, LiteOns have a bad reputation for ripping protected discs. They can only read some CactusDataShield200-Versions and nothing else. Current Plextor recorders are able to rip most of that corrupt discs but not all. The old Plextor SCSI-CD-ROMs have prooved to be the best protection ignorers, especially the UltraPlex40, 1st hardware revision with firmware 1.0x. Old Teac CD-ROMs and recorders aren’t bad, too. The Yamaha CRW-F1 seems to be newcomer being able to rip any protected discs, but there haven’t been many postings about this drive. Please ref. to the drive list in order to select a suitable reader: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?threadid=54783

Originally posted by XORFF
I’d like to ask you to read my standard text although some questions have already been answered:

a) Which drives do you have? (It depends on the hardware whether you can rip protected discs or not.)
1 x Liteon 40125s
1 x HP 2x2x24

b) Which CD would you like to extract? In order to determine protection correctly you should post the record
company (e.g. Sony Music, Universal, BMG,…) and the text on the inner ring of the disc (e.g. Sony DADC,
sonopress, DOC.data,…). Tools like Clony often show wrong results when analyzing audio protection because
every drive behaves different.
Well , i had a look on the back of the CD booklet thing and it said priority records The inner ring = D.A.T.A. IFPIL 311 5367582 A E1

c) Is there a software player (e.g. CactusPJ.EXE) on the CD-ROM-part? If yes, is there a hidden file called
VERSION.TXT? Please post it’s content.
When i try to explore the CD there is nothing …

d) Which software have you tested? (CCD, ExactAudioCopy, Feurio, Nero, CDRwin 3.8/4.0A …)
EAC does not show any of the tracks either. I tryed Nero’s file encoding but that dosn’t show any of the files either , I would preff like to get this CD to MP3 first …

e) Which OS do you have?
Win XP pro

f) Have you switched off the auto insert notification?

Install ExactAudioCopy 0.9 beta 4 . After the first start configure your drive(s) and select “Yes, I’m an
expert…” (very important!). Then insert the disc and select Action -> Detect TOC manually.
(I carn’t seam to do this because it is all greyed out like there is no disk in there ?

This procedure take
a few minutes. Depending on the capabilities of your drive, after that the correct TOC should appear and you can
rip the disc. Some versions of CDS200 require a reduced reading speed because there are artificial sector-errors
inside the music-area causing clicks and drop-outs.

Feurio 1.65 is also an excellent ripper for protected discs.
Will try Feurio 1.65

See CD Protections and Copy Protections.

Is there a site i can use that mint have what sort of protection the disk has and what programes i can use to backup my cd ?

Go to CLONE CD & CLONY XL PROTECTION and download Clony xl English.

The “Detect protection” link will download Copy Protection Detection 0.6.

Thanks, i take it , this programme tells me what to do once it has identified the form of protection used on the cd ?

Firstly i would like to point out that i have tryed other cds that i have ripped in the past and both programes detected overburn and various other protection forms .

I tryed the ice cube CD with both Clony and Detect protection.

Clony: "Non or blank media (CDR/CDRW)
Detect protection: “Total Disk Time : Empty” , “Protection found N/A”

It play on media player but i carn’t see the tracks in win explorer. How can they do this ?

If you can read, you can copy.

As Xorff told you, launch eac, expert mode, limit the speed of your drive to 4x in eac, insert the cd, detect toc manually.

Try your hp drive, i think it’s better than liteon.

Unfortunately your LiteOff (sorry, but it’s rather off than on for audio protections) is everything else but suitable for reading protected audio discs. On the other hand I don’t know anything about your HP.

There’s one thing I do not understand. You mentioned that the disc plays in media player but all other high sophisticated ripping software does not see the disc. What do you mean with playing in media player? Is the drive playing the CD-audios via analog output or does is seem to play compressed audio files?

Please check the status of your auto insert notification. You can switch it off
a) with the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdrom\autorun=0
b) CloneCD Preferences
c) Win98/ME: Device Manager

Many audio protections confuse the Windows CD-driver causing crashes and misbehaviour. In order to avoid that you should switch off the auto insert notification so that Windows will not notice that there’s a strange disc in the drive.

In some cases you need an updated ASPI-layer. Please update to V4.60 by using ForceASPI 1.7 (Google …) or to V4.71 (adaptec.com).

I give up , will just download it and burn …

Thanks for your guys help … I am sure i will use those tools l8r anyways , i would be interested to know what protection the disk has and what sort of percentage of protected cds are using it :slight_smile:

Nxt time , might buy a plexor , only thing is , they are sooooooo expensive . I guess you pay for quility huh

Btw , ignore that media player comment , I think I got confused with something else .