Problems with Aopen DUW1608/ARR and DVD+R's

vbimport

Hello,

I’m new here, so hope I got to right forum with this…
I recently bought the Aopen DUW1608/ARR, because my old Aopen 2412Pro broke down…
The first disc I tried to burn with the 1608 was a self composed DVD movie on a Verbatim Digital Movie DVD+R. The disc had no problem playing back on my PC, so I tried my Onkyo SP502E standalone DVD-player (which normally plays all kinds of discs without any problems). The DVD+R was recognized in the player, but towards the end of the movie it started to stumble and froze…
After that I copied the movie on a Philips DVD+R 2.4 speed with the same bad results in the Onkyo… :frowning:
I browsed the Aopen site for support and downloaded and installed the latest firmware 1.08 for the drive. After this I burned the movie on a Imation DVD+RW 4 speed, which also played back without problems in the Onkyo player… :slight_smile:
However it turns out now, that the AOpen 1608 won’t read multisession DVD+R’s (Philips DVD+R 2.4 speed) with backupped photo’s, I previously made with the AOpen 2412Pro drive… :frowning:
I don’t know what would be the best move here: trash the Philips discs and buy the Imations from now on? Or are the discs not the problem and is it Aopen/firmware related?
Being optimistic, I recently bought some extra Verbatim Digital Movie DVD+R discs, because they look nice and have the AZO layer for extended conservation of my precious movies. I did’nt try these Verbatims yet after the firmware upgrade, so maybe they work better now…(I hope…).
Also I would like to burn some movies for friends in the US and want to make sure I provide them with the best compatable discs I can get…
Conclusions: the solution to one problem leads to another problem and I don’t know where to start with solving them all…Getting rid of all the “old”, slow Philips 2.4 speed discs (they worked fine with the Aopen 2412) ? Getting rid of the Aopen 1608?
Sorry for this extended story, but I hope somebody with similar experiences can give me some advise here.
Thanks in advance…