Problems with all my DVD(+/-)R's -- Is my drive bad?

Ok, I have a LiteOn LDW-851S drive. I’m having a ton of problems with compatibility and skipping (movies, video game FMVs, etc).

I’ve tried several kinds of media: Ritek G04 DVD-R 4X, TDK DVD+R 4X, TDK DVD-R 2X.

The Ritek discs were the worst. They don’t work in anything. After doing Kprobes on several discs, I noticed that they had PI counts of 100+. Perhaps I got a bad batch of discs.

Next are the TDK (both DVD+R and DVD-R). When I use KProbe, it says very minimal PI’s (average is about 15). Even though I have very very few PI’s, could my drive be somehow still producing bad burns? How else can I check my drive for errors? I’ve used the “Record and Verify” option in RecordNow and it says every disc I burn is perfect.

Please help me, I’m going crazy trying to figure out what the problem is.

My most recent “problem” burn was a self-compiled movie which was burned at 2.4x onto a TDK DVD+R disc. The disc shows VERY few PI’s (using KProbe). However, in my X-Box and PS2 the DVD movie is VERY VERY choppy. How can this be?

How many different DVD players have you tried them on and have they all had the same problems?

• I would try using the bundled RecrodNow software for burning. Some people have reported increased compatibility compared to Nero.
  • Try a different firmware, some are better then others for compatibility.
  • Also try burning at 2x and see if that helps.

Is there any way for me to test for compatibility?

KProbe tests for PI/PO errors and as I mentioned my discs have very very low counts for them.

Can I test my discs for other types of flaws?

I’m also curious as to the reason RecordNow would produce a more compatible disc as opposed to Nero.

Usually caused by bad media. Have you tried Memorex or Maxell DVD+R ? Have you tried bitsetting your +R to DVD-ROM ?

How long is the movie you are trying to burn ?

If you use NERO, enable High Compatibility DVD border. When your burnt disc is less than 1GB, extra data will be padded.

As to NERO, I use nero all the time and have never run into any problems with picky DVD players.

Your PI count of 100 is still well within specs!

Any idea on how PO count ? do you have that info handy ?

If all else fails and you have tried many firmwares including latest one then I’d think you have a bad drive…

(what are the brands of DVD players you’ve tried this on?)

The only media I’ve tried is Ritek (DVD-R) and TDK (DVD+R and DVD-R). All my discs had PO’s of less than 5. Usually they were only 1 or 2 on average.

In Nero I did use High Compatibility.

As for testing, I’ve only used my X-Box and my PS2. The PS2 is brand new and it supposedly has a new laser which even supports DVD-RW -AND- DVD+RW.

Is it possible for my drive to be bad even though the discs have normal PI/PO counts and verify correctly after a burn?

I’ve also tried using different firmwares. Right now I’m using the latest.

Yesterday was my last day to return the drive to the store, so I’m hoping that I have some other kind of problem instead of my drive being defective.

But you haven’t said anything to convince that the burned media are really bad. As was already stated, a PI of 100 isn’t all that bad. A half-decent reader should work with media having a PI of at least 250-300.

What your data does suggest is that the media you’re using isn’t compatible with your player. Go to http://www.dvdrhelp.com and look up your player and see which media works best & try that. Let us know the results.
d.

Originally posted by Ssseth
[B]- I would try using the bundled RecordNow software for burning. Some people have reported increased compatibility compared to Nero.

• Try a different firmware, some are better then others for compatibility.
  • Also try burning at 2x and see if that helps. [/B]