Problems with 7200A (Optiarc AD-7200A)

[qanda]This thread is about the Optiarc AD-7200A. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Whenever I insert blank media (I’ve tried DVD+R, DVD-R and CD+R), the drive’s designation changes from “DVD-RAM Drive” to “CD Drive” and the drive is no longer recognized by any burning software and isn’t listed among the installed drives on my system. The drive is only recognized correctly as a burner when I insert discs with data written to them, at which point it reappears in my various burning programs. What’s more unusual is that I was able to burn a CD+R using Window’s IMAPI while no other programs would recognize the drive. I’ve tried uninstalling and reinstalling it several times, and Windows always calls it a CD-ROM drive and installs CD-ROM Drive drivers.

Driver list:
AFS2K.sys
cdrom.sys
imapi.sys
PxHelp20.sys
redbook.sys
storprop.dll

Any ideas? I’m at a loss here.

[QUOTE=Lum4r;2290604][qanda]This thread is about the Optiarc AD-7200A. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Whenever I insert blank media (I’ve tried DVD+R, DVD-R and CD+R), the drive’s designation changes from “DVD-RAM Drive” to “CD Drive” [B]and the drive is no longer recognized by any burning software[/B] and isn’t listed among the installed drives on my system. The drive is only recognized correctly as a burner when I insert discs with data written to them, at which point it reappears in my various burning programs. What’s more unusual is that I was able to burn a CD+R using Window’s IMAPI while no other programs would recognize the drive. I’ve tried uninstalling and reinstalling it several times, and Windows always calls it a CD-ROM drive and installs CD-ROM Drive drivers.

Driver list:
AFS2K.sys
cdrom.sys
imapi.sys
PxHelp20.sys
redbook.sys
storprop.dll

Any ideas? I’m at a loss here.[/QUOTE]

I doubt that…

Install and use a proper burning app like Nero.

I am using Nero. I’m also using DVD Decrypter. Both do the same thing:
Blank Media - No drive
No Media - No drive
Written Media - Optiarc DVD RW

No, you have to know that xp has not DVD WRITE support.

I know, I said I burned a CD+R.

Ok, so ImgBurn returns the following message while trying to initialize the drive:

E 15:32:03 CreateFile Failed! - Device: '\\.\CdRom0' (F:)
E 15:37:05 Reason: The maximum number of secrets that may be stored in a single system has been exceeded.

[QUOTE=Lum4r;2290652]Ok, so ImgBurn returns the following message while trying to initialize the drive:

E 15:37:05 Reason: The maximum number of secrets that may be stored in a single system has been exceeded.

[/QUOTE]

Might be a virus thing:

And from CDFreaks:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f74/maximum-number-secrets-reached-160577/

[QUOTE=Lum4r;2290652]Ok, so ImgBurn returns the following message while trying to initialize the drive:

[/QUOTE]

You have a VIRUS!!!

I was having problems with my 7200. The burning software couldn’t recognize the drive. It didn’t work at all. M.S. said it was because of iTunes and it wouldn’t even play a CD from there. I went into reg edit and deleted the upper and lower filters and BOOM the was my CD/DVD=-rw again. It still doesn’t work IN iTunes but I can burn with the other software on my p.c. .NERO and all the preloaded windows programs

That’s not surprising. I’ve been having malware trouble recently. I’ve kept this machine clean for 2 years, but I guess it’s just time for a fresh Windows install. Thanks for your help.
Oh, and I already tried deleting the upper and lower filters.

Sorry I should have given this info earler Dell Inspiron 530 w/ Vista sp2 32 bit

[QUOTE=Lum4r;2290618]I know, I said I burned a CD+R.[/QUOTE]

Technically impossible, but you have a virus indeed…