PROBLEMS WITH 52/32/52 drive

vbimport

hello!

i am trying to help a friend figure out a problem with her LITEON 52/32/52 drive while writing with EAC software

her PC operating system is WINDOZE XP

the firmware revision of her drive is “QS53”

afaik EAC supports this drive for both reading and writing; i know of several people using this with EAC and even for her it DOES work, just not ALL of the time

she used the drive for awhile and as far as i know all was well, but now she
tells me that she “sometimes” gets errors when burning CDs with EAC

i do not know the exact frequency of how often the errors occur, but i
believe the problems occur sporadically on the order of less than 10% of the time (?), and are not reproducable

the write errors that she is getting are:

“WRITE ERROR!
SEND CUE SHEET
POWER ON, RESET, OR BUS DEVICE RESET OCCURED”

and

“WRITE ERROR!
WRITE BLOCKS:
WRITE ERROR”

also, at one point recently she also got a READ error that said…
“EXACT AUDIO COPY COULD NOT DETECT A MATCHING READ COMMAND…”

but i’m skeptical about that particular READ problem…it could have just been a corrupted disc of some kind?? i sometimes have similar problems myself with bad discs

nevertheless - does anyone have any ideas or possible things to consider?

i’m guessing a couple things so far that could be the problem:

(1) there is something physically wrong with her drive that causes it to “behave badly” sometimes

(2) this drive (or media) for some reason does not do well with hi-speed writes, maybe she should slow down to say 12x? i believe she uses taiyo-yuden 48x rated media and burns mostly in the 40x range somewhere (?)

(3) upgrading the firmware revision (QS53) of the drive may or may not help - and reading the thread on this particular drive i understand that there are complications/issues with making the upgrade, and if done incorrectly the drive can be ruined!

(4) perhaps there is something else going on wrong in her PC causing problems, a software conflict, a cable problem etc

thoughts?

suggestions?

prayers?

thanks muchly

Look at her IDE controller drivers, if it’s Nvidia or VIA, try removing it and reverting to the MS driver.

thanks for that tip, i will try to have her do that

a problem for my “support” of this is that i am trying to figure this without being there for hands on and i do not have XP on my own system to refer to either - i need exact instructions on how to do that that i can pass off to her, for windoze XP - if you could provide any it would be greatly appreciated

happy holidaze!

@ slipkid
To check in XP go start/settings/control panel/system/Hardware(tab)/Device Manager(button)/IDE ATA-ATAPI controllers/(channel containing drive)(double-click)/driver(tab)/driver details(button). Here it should say under ‘provider’: Microsoft. if it says anything else close ‘details’ window and choose ‘roll back driver’. If that doesn’t let you do that, try the ‘uninstall’ button and then reboot. XP should reinstall MS drivers,if they give an option, choose MS drivers, just check to make sure…you might want to have your XP disc handy.

Actually, the dual chanel controller itself will show as Nvidia or VIA on the main Device Manager window, no need to look at the driver.
:wink:

thanks folks, we will check it out!