Problems with 401S and "c't" statement on KProbe

Hello,

I own a Lite-On DVD Burner 401S (S0G). I recently burnt some Philips DVD+RW 4x and some Fuji DVD+R 2,4x without problems. No I tried to burn some Platinum (RICOHJPN) DVD+R 4x and I get a “Power Calibration Error” all the time with Nero 6.0.0.19 and Nero 5.5.10.54.
I also have a NEC 1100A DVD burner available and tried the same Platinum DVD+R 4x Discs - burnt without a problem!
Has anyone an idea what could be wrong? I tried also different firmwares S0C & S0E - but with no other results.

I also wanted to let you know, that in the newest issue of the German magazine c’t 22/03 (magazin für computer technik) there is an articel about DVD blanks (S.134ff). They compared the results of KProbe against calibrated professional scans from a laboratory called “Audiodev” and only about two thirds of the PI SUM 8 results were equal. One third was extremly different so they concluded that KProbe is not suitable to judge the burning quality.

This agrees with my opinion, because if I do some scans with KProbe on the same burnt blank I get different results.

Alexander “Vibsi”

Many DVD burners are very picky about media choice. You have to wait for a firmwareupgrade.

What are the ADIP of the FUJI’s. Have you burnt RICOHJPN before with your drive.

If you look at the DVD media forum here you can see dhc014 have burned
RICOHJPNR01 with the 401S.

1: what speed did they use to scan the discs at? They should use the same speed for the Lite-On DVD-Writer and for the audiodev analyzer. They did use a DVD-writer to scan with, right? as Lite-On DVD-ROM’s and combo drives do not report the correct amount of errors.

2: Read this thread with more discussion on this: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=77594

3: Hi and welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

Originally posted by OC-Freak
1: what speed did they use to scan the discs at? They should use the same speed for the Lite-On DVD-Writer and for the audiodev analyzer. They did use a DVD-writer to scan with, right? as Lite-On DVD-ROM’s and combo drives do not report the correct amount of errors.

They used a Lite-On LDW-401S. They did not mention the speed - I think that the audiodev scans are made at 1x. As I think that the c’t magazine is a very reliable source I would suggest that they also used 1x to scan with KProbe, but right now we cannot be sure. If I have the time I will write an email to the editor of the articel.

Originally posted by OC-Freak
3: Hi and welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

Thank you! I will have a look on “2”, odd I didn’t find a thread about LDW-401S and the c’t scans (must be blind :confused: ). Nice forum by the way - read it for a long time and finally I had something to say :smiley:

Alexander “Vibsi”

I’m not completely sure, but I think 2X is the lowest accepted setting on the LDW-401S (Do not have one myself). So if the audiodev tests at 1X, then this is one reason for the scans to be different…

if they did not know to take max off and selected 1,2,4x then it overrides these settings and goes at the full speed of the drive which does give different results every scan.

There must be differences betveen a free tool like KProbe and the professionel tools. I dont expect KProbe to give a exact result.

I use KProbe as a guideline in mediaqualitet. My 165H and 166S gives different results, but it can show a good media from a bad one.

My final test if my standalone dvd player ( Denver 122 ) can read the media without problems.

kprobe was made by someone at liteon and it was not meant to be rlsed… i think it is just a good or better… it is not exactly free… someone who knows a lot oabout liteon drives took alot of their time or liteons time to make this program.

there are differences between different drives because of how they read differently… but you can get a good idea of how good a disc is

use these settings

2x or 4x … 2x is supposed to be a better read… 4x works good too

UNCHECK max

pipo sum 8 ECC

and you should get scans that are every close with those settings…

I own a Lite-On DVD Burner 401S (S0G). I recently burnt some Philips DVD+RW 4x and some Fuji DVD+R 2,4x without problems. No I tried to burn some Platinum (RICOHJPN) DVD+R 4x and I get a “Power Calibration Error” all the time with Nero 6.0.0.19 and Nero 5.5.10.54.

Might be a power supply issue. I had the same problem. I could burn dvd+rw’s, and the dvd+r’s that came with the drive, but nothing else. I rerouted the power cables so that the 401S was the only thing on its particular cable, and subsequent burns have been flawless.

you might be right ive since rerouted power on my machine and come to think of it the 401s is the only thing that is on that power cable. strange but could be a factor