Problems when trying to burn a data dvd (ISO)

vbimport

Hello…I’m new to these forums and am seeking help for backing up my files on dvd+r discs with my hp dvd writer 300n

I’ve been having problems burning data dvds… i’m trying to back up my .avi files but keep on experiencing problems

everytime I burn it using Nero 6. it says that the burn is successful, but it fails the verification check. The DVD is readable, but about half of the files do not work. Half of it works perfectly while the rest is unreadable

I use memorex dvd+r discs and i heard that they were low quality…but i just wanted to see if my burner worked properly. It burn’s cd’s properly (both data and music). I doubt it’s the program since i have used nero and recordnow (both have same issue)

I dont know what is causing it… I tried using Nero Info tool and when i looked at the ASPI tab for system ASPI, it said ASPI files are missing…Does this have anything to do with it? The only ones listed there are
WNASPI32.DLL and WINASPI.DLL…

Could this just be a bad media problem? Or do i need to upgrade my firmware?

I appreciate any assistance in solving this problem…

Hi there!! I have the exact same drive though I have not encountered this problem. (have a worse one at moment) I would say to check the firmware. The latest one is dvd300n_320[1]. Go to the HP website and search firmware (sorry dont know link). [Try the version 300 instead of 320 first though as I am experiencing problems reading discs after burnt in same drive - Fine everyone else’s though] :a

Also lower quality discs make a difference. I use datastream ones with no probs(are also reasonable cheap $29.90 Aus for 20) have found that burning at a lower speed on cheaper discs is very important too. Do not go over 2.4x on cheapies, although teac work well at 4x (expensive though).

Try a re-writable disc first. (TEAC is best). Have found that verifying is a waste of time too so try turning that off also.

As far as the ASPI thing goes do a search on google and see what you turn up. I have personally had no proplems associated with ASPI though.

Hope I was of some help to you :smiley:

Could you elaborate on your comments about verification. Does it report non exsisting errors or miss corrupted files?

It has saved me in the past. I would would get file corruption at the end of the burn with my old TEAC. The problem was due to overclocking (my fault, not the burner).

No real technical reason for this but these are my reasonings:

1. Verifying takes as long as burning the disc so it takes twice as long to finish

2. How often do you change your cd drive settings? Have found that if you do a test burn on a re-writable after driver and the burning software are installed, and check files manually (eg: copy back to hard drive -takes about 4 mins on my 7200 hdd) its working fine.

3. In your case, (over-clocking), it would be reasonable to assume that doing something like this is likely to be the cause of any forthcoming problems and therefore you would to a test run after any changes, before dong a “real” burn.

4. Finally, I have a problem at the moment that verifying does not find, when I know that there is. > Burns ok, reads ok on other computers but not in same drive burnt in<

Hope this answered your question. :slight_smile:

The TEAC CD-RW has gone to my Daughters PC. Never messed with the settings in 3 years.

1. In your case, (over-clocking), it would be reasonable to assume that doing something like this is likely to be the cause of any forthcoming problems and therefore you would to a test run after any changes, before dong a “real” burn.

It was the most probable cause of file corruption. I set the bus speed back 2 MHz and the problem went away. Interestingly, the PC ran for two years at 147MHz bus speed with no problems from the TEAC.

1. Finally, I have a problem at the moment that verifying does not find, when I know that there is. > Burns ok, reads ok on other computers but not in same drive burnt in<

This is not good. What is the length of time between the verification and the bad read?

Hope this answered your question. :slight_smile:

It did thanks