Problems w/ Philips 8701 Burner

I have searched on this site and places like Dell and Google looking for answers. I have had the 8701 since august when it came in the Dell Optiplex that I ordered. Within the last two weeks the speed at which it burns has slowed tremendously. It burns at 1/4 the speed it should. Dell’s website gives very little information or support for the drive.

I then searched for solutions on this site and google as well as computing.net…no luck! I have the nero infotool and the nero cdspeed programs. I looked at the BIOS and didn’t see anything that allowed me to have control of DMA modes for the drive. In device manger it doesn’t allow me to make changes either.

When burning a DVD, I average 1.5x and burning a CD I average 12.9x. Prior to this I was averaging 7.6x and 43.9x. Which were much closer to the specs of the drive.

The only thing that I think may have played a role in this was the last batch of software updates Microsoft sent me. I turned off System Restore so I wasn’t able to revert back to a prior state. I even looked in the add/remove items list but only see one update…I’m not sure if that should be removed or not.

My frustration is there doen’t seem to be much info available on the Philips 8701 and I am reluctant to call Dell because they often seem to know less than they should.

Does anyone have any ideas that will allow me to get back the speed I lost? I am runnning XP Pro service pack 2 w/ a Pentium 4 3.00GHz. That came w/ 512 mb RAM.

Any help would be appreciated!

Welcome to cdreaks. :slight_smile:

Take your time and read threads related to your drive. This thread can be a good start. :wink:

I read that thread and many others before I posted. Look how long I have been a member of this site. I wasn’t looking to crossflash my drive. I posted to see if anyone had alternative fixes for my drive.

Enable DMA.

UPDATE: I bit the bullet and crossflashed my drive with the BenQ 1640 firmware. Evertything seems to be working good again! Thanks!

:frowning: I just opened the box from DELL (RMA) to see what “replacement” they sent out for my failed Philips DVD8631 in our six month old XPS 4700. It’s a Philips DVD8701/96 (Sept. 30, 2005) FIRMWARE 5D24 with BenQ written two places on the S/N label.

:confused: Is this is a “rebadged” DW1640 ???

:confused: Should I CROSSFLASH NOW to avoid any future headaches.

:bigsmile: The drive that failed (DVD8631) really failed quickly… I reflashed THAT one to BenQ DW1620 and it “revived” it for a couple of weeks… amazing what a new FW flash does :iagree: but shortly after that anything burned near the “inner” (hole) of the DVD was only readable in 50% of our computers. We are using top quality Verbatim DVD+R media. My Sony DRU-810A burns it just fine… NEVER made a coaster yet !!

I purchased a Dell XPS 600 about 3 months ago and it came with the Philips 8701. The drive worked fine as is, but I flashed it to a 1640 just to get access to the features not available as an 8701 using Qsuite. Burn quality may have improved slightly but I can’t say I did extensive tests on it as an 8701.

Another advantage is that Benq comes out with firmware upgrades periodically. Dell hasn’t posted a firmware upgrade yet for the 8701.

A downside is that crossflashing allegedly voids the warranty. You think Dell checks when it’s RMA’ed?? :disagree:

Dave

:confused: PLEASE tell me what “additional” features I will get (after crossflash) ?? Is one of them a red LED when recording instead of the green one ? I’m sure there are lots more so please tell me if you can. I am very curious since I never owned a “genuine” BenQ.

PLEASE tell me what “additional” features I will get (after crossflash) ?? Is one of them a red LED when recording instead of the green one ? I’m sure there are lots more so please tell me if you can. I am very curious since I never owned a “genuine” BenQ.

No, a red led is not one of the features. Qsuite adds the ability to set the booktype, enables WOPC, Test Write, Solidburn and Overspeed. Download it http://support.benq.com/front/BenqMain.asp?MenuHead=128&ShowType=program&FileURL=service/driverlist.asp&Dataid=18368&downloadclass=Software&product=3731&langu=null&ops=null&GenMenu=&RootId=undefined and check out the help file for more info.

Dave

Doesn’t the Philips burner automatically booktype to DVD-ROM? I thought I read that somewhere.

Well,

All I can say is that last night I cross-flashed my Philips DVD8701 to a BENQ DW1640 and the DVD+R Discs that my XBOX wouldn’t read before the flash, now work beautifully.

I don’t know if the Philips automatically sets the booktype to DVD-ROM, but the BENQ firmware does.

FYI these are the BENQ firmware updates:

[I]Firmware (BSGB)
Release Date:
22-Apr-2005

1. Improve the writing performance for DVD+R DL media at 8x speed
  2. Fix Windows only detect master drive when 2 same firmware drives are connected.

Firmware (BSHB)
Release Date:
16-May-2005

1. Fully support QSuite v1.0.
  2. Improve the compatibility with CD-R media.
  3. Support DVD-R DL media recording.

Firwmare (BSJB)
Release Date:
22-Jul-2005

1. Improve the writing performance for low speed & DVD+R DL media.

Firmware (BSKB)
Release Date:
15-Aug-2005

1. Improved writing quality for DVD+R & DVD-R media.
  2. Added SolidBurn Technology.
  3. Added Overspeed ability. (Enable via QSuite 2.0)

Note:
QSuite 2.0 can be downloaded from http://support.benq.com/files/Storage/Software/QSuite/QSuite v2.0 Setup.zip

Firmware (BSLB)
Release Date:
31-Aug-2005

1. Modified the strategy of SolidBurn for DVD-R media.
  2. Modified the writing strategy for 8x DVD+RW media.

Firmware (BSMB)
Release Date:
02-Nov-2005

1. Modified the writing strategy for DVD-R, DVD-R DL & DVD+R DL media.
  2. Improved the compatibility between SolidBurn and QSuite for DVD-R media.
  3. Supported new feature in QSuite v2.1 (Show media support information)

Note: QSuite v2.1 can be downloaded from http://support.benq.com/files/Storage/Software/QSuite/QSuite v2.1 Setup.zip

Firmware (BSNB)
Release Date:
09-Dec-2005

1. Fixed QScan does not work properly.
  2. Improved the writing quality of 4x DVD+/-R media.
  3. Supported FTI 16x DVD-R media.

Firmware (BSOB)
Release Date:
23-Dec-2005

1. Fixed DVD-DL PTP format disc cannot be played issue in BSNB.
    [/I]

Keep in mind that Dell has not upgraded the firmware on the Philips yet!

So are there instructions anywhere for crossflashing this drive? I just got an Optiplex GX620 with a Philips DVD8701 /firmware 5D24.

See this thread for crossflashing instructions:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=153390&highlight=8701

Dave

What instructions ?
All you’ve done is point to a thread where someone is ASKING for instructions ! :disagree:

Whoops ! My apologies, dmjohn - reading wrong page ! erm…sorry ! :o

I realize this thread is 2-3 years old. But I have an XPS600 with the Philips 8701. I just recently began TRYING to burn DL disks. I want to cross-flash the drive but none of the links to the firmware are working. Benq does not seem to have these firmware releases on their site. I realize 2 years is a long time in computer life. Does ANYONE know where I can get the firmware updates??

[QUOTE=DanielW33;2127353]I realize this thread is 2-3 years old… I want to cross-flash the drive but none of the links to the firmware are working. Benq does not seem to have these firmware releases on their site. I realize 2 years is a long time in computer life…[/QUOTE]Welcome to cdfreaks DanielW33. :slight_smile:

BenQ DW1640 firmwares are also more then 2 years old. Not sure a crossflash will do you any good.

First, what is the media code (MID) of your DL discs. CD Speed DiscInfo might give you information needed (example from our guide), thanks to [I]geno888[/I].

BTW, latest BenQ DW1640 stock firmwares can still be found at BenQ EU page.