Problems using ImgBurn

vbimport

Hi,
I’m having some trouble using ImgBurn. I can’t get it to run. I always get this “build” window, even though I have “Don’t prompt…” set. Any help out there?

That option in the setting is not controlling the layer break setting window. As you are burning a DL disc, ImgBurn asks you to set a layer break. Pick one with a green star.

Looking at those ImgBurn screens is reason enough why I could never use ImgBurn, even though it is free.

This software is way too complicated for the novice like me who simply wants to clone (archive) his/her DVD collection.

Using CloneCD in conjuction with AnyDVD produces 1:1 bit perfect copies of DL DVDs preserving the original layer break and only requiring the user to choose a write speed. Or simply use DVDFab’s Clone function which preserves the layer break. These are much simpler approaches and both work very well for me.

[quote=captainvideo;2115510]Looking at those ImgBurn screens is reason enough why I could never use ImgBurn, even though it is free.

This software is way too complicated for the novice like me who simply wants to clone (archive) his/her DVD collection.

Using CloneCD in conjuction with AnyDVD produces 1:1 bit perfect copies of DL DVDs preserving the original layer break and only requiring the user to choose a write speed. Or simply use DVDFab’s Clone function which preserves the layer break. These are much simpler approaches and both work very well for me.[/quote]
The software is as easy as it gets. All you have to do is have a video file and a piece of media, then under the " Mode" in the taskbar select write and open your file and select your drive and write speed. Thats it.

[quote=captainvideo;2115510]Looking at those ImgBurn screens is reason enough why I could never use ImgBurn, even though it is free.

Using CloneCD in conjuction with AnyDVD produces 1:1 bit perfect copies of DL DVDs preserving the original layer break and only requiring the user to choose a write speed. Or simply use DVDFab’s Clone function which preserves the layer break. These are much simpler approaches and both work very well for me.[/quote]

I want to thank you for showing me that I was doing things the hard way, what was I thinking, :doh:

Step 1: Rip to your hard drive with a program like DvdFab Decrypter.

Step 2: Burn the result with ImgBurn in either Build Mode, if saved as VIDEO_TS or ISO Write, if saved as ISO/MDS.

http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=86742

http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=86730

Yep, sure looks tough.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2115536]The software is as easy as it gets. All you have to do is have a video file and a piece of media, then under the " Mode" in the taskbar select write and open your file and select your drive and write speed. Thats it.[/QUOTE]

Yes, ImgBurn might very well be easy if you know what you are doing. But there is so much sophistication and versatility to this software that it might very well be easy for a newcomer like me to play around with the various settings and mess things up, especially with my DVD Burner. This is just my opinion.

What I do not understand is why anyone needs to use ImgBurn or Nero when you already own DVDFab? It decrypts and burns in one package and has several different modes like Main Movie, Customize Split, and Clone. But again, everyone has different needs. I usually decrpyt/burn with just a couple of clicks. So I have no desire to complicate matters with software which does much more than necessary.

Yes, ImgBurn might very well be easy if you know what you are doing. But there is so much sophistication and versatility to this software that it might very well be easy for a newcomer like me to play around with the various settings and mess things up, especially with my DVD Burner. This is just my opinion.

Then restore the defaults.

What I do not understand is why anyone needs to use ImgBurn or Nero when you already own DVDFab?

Because ImgBurn is the best damn burning program on the planet, that’s just my opinion.

Are you referring to using Imburn in general or are you asking about using the Imgburn burn option in Fab? It will always default to the build option using it with Fab. If you are not asking about using it with Fab this is the wrong subforum.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2115790]Are you referring to using Imburn in general or are you asking about using the Imgburn burn option in Fab? It will always default to the build option using it with Fab. If you are not asking about using it with Fab this is the wrong subforum.[/QUOTE]
Yes, in conjunction with Fab.

Imgburn will only burn in Build mode in Conjuction with Fab. If you want to use Imgburn as a standalone program without Fab you can select the Write Mode and burn a file you have saved to your computer.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2115824]Imgburn will only burn in Build mode in Conjuction with Fab. If you want to use Imgburn as a standalone program without Fab you can select the Write Mode and burn a file you have saved to your computer.[/QUOTE]
I was attempting to find out WHAT to do at this window. :slight_smile:

Do you get that window inbetween the rip and the burn? Or are you just opening Imgburn and trying to do something from there? You have to choose Imgburn in the Fab options, then it will automaticly open Imgburn when its time to write. Make sure you have a disc in your destination drive.

When VSO had a problem in FAB a while back I started using IMGburn. Once I figured out a few things, I Love it. It does so much more and better. The verify is very fast, when I use it. you can make several copies automaticly without doing anything except changing discs. It’s really not that hard to learn to use.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2115834]Do you get that window inbetween the rip and the burn? Or are you just opening Imgburn and trying to do something from there? You have to choose Imgburn in the Fab options, then it will automaticly open Imgburn when its time to write. Make sure you have a disc in your destination drive.[/QUOTE]
In between, I have it set in the options. I get this layer break message always when burning DVD9 DL discs. Using DVD-R DL

@tdonahue_nj

1. Cynthia has answered you (post 2). Pick a green star - any one. Refer to the legend at the bottom of the layer break dialogue.

2. Your choice of DL media is bad - very bad. You should only use Verbatim, +R, 2.4x, MKM-001-00, Made in Singapore. Especially do not use DVD-R DL; while it is fine for normal data, it is almost impossible to make a proper burn for DVD Video.

Regards

or use Clone Mode and the original layer break will be preserved. :slight_smile:

tdonahue_nj,

thanks for bringing this information to the forum. as i recommend using ImgBurn with DVDFab, however i do not burn DL disc so i was unaware of the need to select layer break. i thought that ImgBurn would auto-select the appropriate layer break.

cynthia_old,

nice guides by the way, thank you.

is there a method to have ImgBurn auto-select the layer break when input is Video_TS? as the burning of SL media is seamless with dvdfab and i would hope the same ability is available for DL media.

[QUOTE=tdonahue_nj;2115881]In between, I have it set in the options. I get this layer break message always when burning DVD9 DL discs. Using DVD-R DL[/QUOTE]

I’m really sorry if I am sounding naive but being prompted to select a layer break is something I would not want. I always prefer to maintain the original layer break. Using DVDFab Clone does this. Also AnyDVD in conjunction with CloneCD. Do people here actually see a difference in video quality on a DVD+R burned via IMGBurn vs. DVDFabs VSO?

I agree about using Verbatim DVD+RW 2.4 DL. Two+ months ago when I purchased my LG DVD Burner I erroneously ordered a spindle of TDK DVD+RW DL. This was based upon TDKs reputation as well as a cheap price. The bottom line is that I tried six DL recordings and none of them played through perfectly. Each one would start to freeze/pixelate as it got closer to the layer change. Concerned that my LG burner was at fault, I immediately ordered Verbatim and had them rush-delivered to me. I am now nearing the end of my 2nd Verbatim spindle and have not had a single coaster.

[QUOTE=captainvideo;2116008]I’m really sorry if I am sounding naive but being prompted to select a layer break is something I would not want. I always prefer to maintain the original layer break.[/QUOTE] It shouldn’t matter. If ImgBurn does prompt you to create a layer break, just follow the advice, and you’ll have a copy that could work better than the original in some cases. You don’t have to have the layer break in the exact same place to have the same quality.

Do people here actually see a difference in video quality on a DVD+R burned via IMGBurn vs. DVDFabs VSO?
There is none.

[QUOTE=captainvideo;2116008]I’m really sorry if I am sounding naive but being prompted to select a layer break is something I would not want. I always prefer to maintain the original layer break. Using DVDFab Clone does this. Also AnyDVD in conjunction with CloneCD. Do people here actually see a difference in video quality on a DVD+R burned via IMGBurn vs. DVDFabs VSO?

I agree about using Verbatim DVD+RW 2.4 DL. Two+ months ago when I purchased my LG DVD Burner I erroneously ordered a spindle of TDK DVD+RW DL. This was based upon TDKs reputation as well as a cheap price. The bottom line is that I tried six DL recordings and none of them played through perfectly. Each one would start to freeze/pixelate as it got closer to the layer change. Concerned that my LG burner was at fault, I immediately ordered Verbatim and had them rush-delivered to me. I am now nearing the end of my 2nd Verbatim spindle and have not had a single coaster.[/QUOTE]

Come on Captain…Don’t you want to learn more things…expand your horizons…a journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. :smiley:

[QUOTE=blutach;2115897]@tdonahue_nj

1. Cynthia has answered you (post 2). Pick a green star - any one. Refer to the legend at the bottom of the layer break dialogue.

2. Your choice of DL media is bad - very bad. You should only use Verbatim, +R, 2.4x, MKM-001-00, Made in Singapore. Especially do not use DVD-R DL; while it is fine for normal data, it is almost impossible to make a proper burn for DVD Video.

Regards[/QUOTE]
Thanks, I got it.

I have ZERO problems playing -R DL movies on my standalone Toshiba SD3800.