Problems Using DVD RAM

vbimport

Hi,

I run win xp home with sp2.

I have a Samsung SH-S182D SB02 that is DVD RAM compliant. It has the latest firmware installed. I am using Panasonic DVD RAM disks. I have used this site before and was able to find a thread that led me to a driver called DVDForm and also to an update for this. I have installed both of these. (Unfortuantly whenever I search the site at the moment I get taken to a blank page otherwise I would try and find that thread again).

I want to install Ubuntu on my computer. I have about 20G of data that I want to backup before doing the install. Some of these are .avi, MP3 and WMA files others are OpenOffice file formats, microsoft reader files etc.

The other day I started to backup some files. The first were some MP3 files, I then tried to copy some .avi files. The total folder size of the .avi files was about 1.1G. During the copying process I had an error message. I stupidly did not write this down, but it was basically requsting that the original disk be put in the drive. I cliked on cancel. The drive stopped running, the copy stopped and the tray would not eject - it was like the whole thing has frozen up - as opposed to just cancelling the copy.

I (eventually) got the tray to eject and then closed it to have another go and again the drive system just froze.

Can anyone please tell me what is going on please?

Will

I’m having problems generally writing to DVD-RAM disks these days with my SH182M & Pioneer 111L and I can’t really figure it out at all. So much so I’ve given up with that approach.
When the RAM write fails then the burner gets totally locked and the process never really gets cancelled. A reboot is all that you can do.

Not much help I’m afraid , just letting you know you’re not alone.

BTW a firmware upgrade to SB05 is available from Samsung here .

Hi,

That’s a strange thing, as you can’t reproduce the message.
I found this about problem with XP-SP2:

[Windows XP] I have problem using the DVD-RAM Driver after updating Windows to Service Pack 2 (SP2).

As of September 24th, 2004, we have found DVD-RAM Driver conflicts under Windows XP SP2. Download and install the latest DVD-RAM Driver updater.

This just for one manufacturer and the driver is said to update only their stuff (sometimes they had to say that, but you have to accept it if you try to do otherwise you’re on your own).
This is the link:
http://www.bhacorp.com/download/utilities/dvdram.html
What file format are you using?
Keep in mind that XP gives native support to FAT32, and this can be one the probs addressed by this update. No idea if that’s the case.
You say you’re doing a backup. Was it a real one or a copy?

Hi,

No, you haven’t :wink: Latest firmware is SB05 for that drive.

I am using Panasonic DVD RAM disks. I have used this site before and was able to find a thread that led me to a driver called DVDForm and also to an update for this. I have installed both of these. (Unfortuantly whenever I search the site at the moment I get taken to a blank page otherwise I would try and find that thread again).
You are referring to Panasonic’s DVD-RAM drivers. For finding them again, just ask Iris at Toshiba.com for DVD-RAM drivers and grab the latest ones. Then get latest update from www.bhacorp.com
Please note, that you shouldn’t have any packet writing software like InCD, DLA, whatever installed, as this will cause trouble.
Make sure, your discs are formatted as UDF1.5 or 2.0 (I prefer 1.5 for data)

(…) I (eventually) got the tray to eject and then closed it to have another go and again the drive system just froze.
Maybe a bad disc? Have you tried other discs then?.
And as already said - use UDF file format for DVD-RAM.

Michael

Thanks all of you for the help.

I updated to SB04 about a month ago but the drive is still has the SB02 in the title which is why I used it :).

The disks are from Panasonic. I had no idea that the driver was as well. Thanks for the link as I’m about to follow it and hope that like the wardrobe did to Narnia that it will lead me to an exciting new world (or website at least).

Thanks again all of you!

Will.

It looks like your firmware update might not actually have happened as SB04 should be seen as part of it’s title. Certainly when I updated on my 182M the title changed to reflect the update.

@Wobwill:

At what IDE controller did you connect your drive, and what driver is used? This is important, as the Panasonic driver seems only support MS standard IDE controller. At least on my system (I am running Windows 2000), the driver fails with USB and PCI IDE controller connected DVD-RAM-drives. The error message states something about I/O errors.

Michael

Hi all.

Thanks again for the responses. I have had a busy few days at work and so haven’t been able to check posts until now.

I have now updated my firmware to SB05.

I checked the sites suggested for the relevant driver and update and found that I have the most recent one of both of these that I could find. (I save my installers :slight_smile: ).

I don’t know how to find out which IDE controller my drive is connected to on the motherboard. The drive is connected internally though. I have tried looking in device manager and just can’t work it out on a Friday night after a long day at work.

To really annoy those of you who have posted, I have just tried a virgin disk and it has worked without a hitch. I am sorry for wasting people’s time. :frowning:

I guess that I must have corrupted the two other disks I have been using somehow.

Will

PS thanks again for all the help.

Hi mcihael
I run a Panasonic and a NEC inside firewire enclosures (as a matter o fact the enclosures are dual, but never used USB) and I have no problem with the Pana driver.