Problems Ripping Copies

vbimport

Why is it that I have so many problems ripping my own backups?

This started with a NEC2500A, moved onto a NEC3500A and LiteOn 1693, and still have the same problems. There always seems to be an error while reading the disc, generally somewhere from the middle to the end of the disc (anywhere from VTS_04_0.IFO to VTS_08_0.IFO or so…).

I’ve tried a number of different apps to overcome this, including nero, blindwrite, decrypter, 1click, clonedvd, alcohol, roxio, etc… and they all fail around the same area. The discs play back fine on standalone, but give me the hardest time duplicating. When I’m running AnyDVD, upon disc insertion, it tells me it cannot read the disc.

When I take those discs however, to my buddy’s house, and try to rip them on his LiteOn 1673, it works fine… I recently bought the 1693, hoping it would be as good, if not better than his 1673 rips…

What am I doing wrong here… is it perhaps an aspi driver, or perhaps use a different engine, or maybe a problem with the burners themselves (doubtful)?

All recorders have the most up-to-date firmware available to them at the time of the posting.

Thanks.

@ pimppops,

If in fact you are attempting to copy a backup copy of a DVD that has had the copy protection already removed there is no need to be using AnyDVD.

The reason you use AnyDVD is to remove copy protection decryption. Your backup copies all ready have copy protection decryption removed.

It appears that when the backup copy was burned to the blank DVD media that there was a Write Error to data that was written to the middle to the end of the disc (anywhere from VTS_04_0.IFO to VTS_08_0.IFO or so…)

I am quite sure if you CLOSELY watch the backup copy when to the middle to the end of the disc (anywhere from VTS_04_0.IFO to VTS_08_0.IFO or so…) is played you will notice skipping/stuttering or something similar when played on a stand-alone desktop DVD player. It is possible if you view the backup copy in the computer DVD Burner that burned the backup copy it might possibly play properly.

Suggest using DVDInfo Pro (http://www.dvdinfopro.com) or similar software utility and check the backup copy for CRC Read Errors. In DVDInfo Pro click on the little magnifying glass icon located on the top menu bar on the DVDInfo Pro opening page (Test Your Media For CRC Read Errors). This will test your recorded DVD media for CRC Read Errors. If you find CRC Read Errors in the backup copy you need to re-record the DVD again.

Usually poor DVD media and/or Burning data too fast cause Read/Write CRC Errors.

Some problems caused by poor DVD media can be overcome by taking a couple actions. Slow down your burning speed. Limit all background activity while Burning DVDs including Ant-Virus programs. Defragment your Hard Drive (Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Disk Defragmenter). Check for Spyware by running Spybot-Search & Destroy (http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html).

A little help in deciding which DVD media to use.

Suggest visiting the CD Freaks DVD Recorder Forum (http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61) for your particular DVD Burner and see which DVD Media other Forum members have reported that work for them.

Suggest visiting the CD Freaks Media Forum (http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33) and see which DVD Media other Forum members have reported as good reliable DVD media.

Suggest visiting the Video Help DVD Media List (http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia) and see what other users have reported about particular DVD Media.

Concerning the quality of DVD media. The saying “You Only Get What You Pay For” fully applies to DVD media. If the price is cheap the quality is also probably cheap.

Best Regards,
bjkg

Hey bud, thanks for replying. I am fully aware of what AnyDVD does :wink: …but as an example, I was just showing how it responds to these so-called bad-discs. Also, the majority of my discs are burned onto CMC MAG branded media, which I find very stable (Memorex, TDK, HP). I was hoping there was a program to would skip the bad sectors, or patch the CRC errors, because the master is no longer available for me to copy. I’ve tried using BlindWrite suite with profile set to Bad Sectors, but that didn’t work out too well… if anyone has any ideas, feel free…

I was going to suggest bad media (discs) but you already did! CMC is some of the worst out there. Yes, you may have had good luck with your setup (burner, reader, player) but in general it is the worst. Check out the forums here and the media codes over at videohelp.com.

Hi Guys I hope someone can answer my question, becuase I don’t know if there is something wrong with my computer/burner or my friends. I burned 3 movies over the weekend (Coach Carter, Hostage, The Jacket) with Decrypter and Shrink. I used NERO to burn the blank media. The problem is it plays in my dvd player, but I cannot copy the back ups of each movie I made. I did not notice until my friend told me that his NERO was not able to read the disc I gave him. The weird thing is that the only way I could make a copy was to open the disc with SHRINK and copy only the movie and remove the special features.
I have never had a problem like this before. I have been able to copy all my movie backups with Nero up until this weekend. The other problem I have is that after I burn it with SHRINK my friend can still not copy it with NERO. Any suggestions??
Please let me know. Thanks.

So you’re copying movies and giving them to friends? :stuck_out_tongue:

alot of ppl put down memorex but of over 100 burns i have yet to have a coaster.
try using dvddecrypter to copy the dvd to your hard drive. if it doesn’t work try Vstrip. Vstrip literally rips the dvd sector by sector.

Hello Folks,

When just saying you are using “Memorex”,“Verbatim”,“HP” and such is like saying you are using Peanuts or Onions, which virtually means absolutely nothing. Memorex, Verbatim and Hp do not manufacture DVD media; they just purchase the media from a DVD media manufacture and then put in Memorex, Verbatim or HP Boxes. It is hit or miss when purchasing DVD Media in a Memorex, Verbatim or HP Box.

To accurately describe your DVD media you need provide the Manufacture ID and Media Code (Example- RitekG05). You can obtain the Manufacture ID and Media Code by using DVDInfo Pro (http://www.dvdinfopro.com) or similar software utility.

-> @ pimppops,

Your CMC DVD Media is not good reliable DVD media. This fact is displayed by the very fact that you are now having serious problems with your back up copies that you are now unable to make copies of. If you had used good reliable DVD media instead of lesser quality DVD media you would not be having the problem you are currently experiencing. There is no easy magic cure to correct your current problem. Your CMC DVD Media will continue to deteriorate to the point that it will become totally useless. You need to purchase good reliable DVD media such as Taiyo Yaden. Rima (http://www.rima.com) is a reliable source for Taiyo Yaden DVD Media. Suggest that you do some research concerning DVD media by visiting the Web Sites I provided in #2 in this thread.

-> @ johnny2775,

You problem is also related to poor DVD media. Suggest that you re-read my #2 posting in this thread as all my comments to Forum member pimppops also applies to your problem.

-> @ tigerman8u,

Perchance have you ever checked your Memorex DVD Media with DVDInfo Pro (http://www.dvdinfopro.com) or similar software utility for CRC errors? You might be surprised by your testing results. As stated in the being of this thread Memorex does not manufacture their own DVD Media but purchase DVD Media from many different DVD manufactures. You might have lucked out a got a batch of Memorex DVD media that was manufactured by reliable source I know for a fact that Memorex CMC DVD Media is less than desirable. Suggest that you do some research concerning DVD media by visiting the Web Sites I provided in #2 in this thread.

Best Regards,
bjkg

yeah, I’m new. So – yes, I have copying problems, sometimes. I tried copying a DVD disk w/ nero and failed. I then tried to copy the disk to my hard drive and found one file will not copy. the error message is something like “cyclic redundancy” something. So, now I’m left w/ a drama missing a whole disk. what can I do? Yes, I’m copying for my family.

@ copyforfun,

Concerning CRC (Cyclic Redundancy Check) data error notifications

Suggest viewing the below Forum posting concerning CRC (Cyclic Redundancy Check) data error notification. Notice the Comments in posting #6 by Olli the author of CloneDVD/CloneCD and instrumental in the development of AnyDVD.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=138522

Best Regards,
bjkg

mucho thx.

bjkg, thanks for your help. I downloaded the trial softwares and cleaned the disk w/ Brasso. None worked. So, I guess it’s futile to go forward. Thanks for taking the time w/ me.