Problems ripping an audio CD

Hi all,

I have come across a very weird copy protection unlike anything I’ve ever seen. Can anyone shed some light on it for me?!

The print on the CD face warns: “…this disc is unique and traceable. The copyright owner is able to monitor its use and to identify the source of any unauthorised copies.”

As soon as EAC opens and reads the disc, I get lots of error boxes filling the screen saying these two messages…

1. Unhandled Exception: ASPI32 > ASSIGN-RANGE
  2. Unhandled Exception: at 006203DC > ACCESS_VIOLATION
    …until it crashes out.

ISObuster shows the following structure to the disc.
The audio is obviously session 1 as normal as the disc plays ok in a normal audio system. However the CD Extra sessions cause havoc with the computer reading it. Session 3 reports 9TB!!

When performing a surface scan, bad sectors come up almost immediately.

Can anyone identify this and is there anyway I can rip these tracks?

Many thanks.

Hallo and welcome to the forums :slight_smile:
Would you please tell us artist & title of the album ?

Have you already tried to extract Session 1 by rightclicking on it:
Extract Session 1 <Content> -> Extract User Data (*.tao, *.iso, *.wav) ?

Hallo and welcome to the forums :slight_smile:
Would you please tell us artist & title of the album ?

Hello.

The album is ‘Which Bitch?’ by ‘The View’. It is a promotional advance not yet released (I work for a music magazine) so you can understand why they are cagey about leaks, but now I can’t rip to mp3 which I prefer to work with!

Have you already tried to extract Session 1 by rightclicking on it:
Extract Session 1 <Content> -> Extract User Data (*.tao, *.iso, *.wav) ?

Yes, I did try that but as soon as it starts to rip, it reports bad sectors and prompts what you’d like to do with them. I tried “replace with blank data” for all and when listening back to the track, it was just silence.

I don’t understand how there can be bad sectors on a standard home stereo!

[QUOTE=StuKeeler;2201044]Hello.

The album is ‘Which Bitch?’ by ‘The View’. It is a promotional advance not yet released ![/QUOTE]Ok, then it’s unlikely someone has experience with that one :wink:

Do you have another drive to test with ?
Maybe another one won’t “see” the third session.

P.S.: you have a personal message

[QUOTE=Terramex;2201157]Do you have another drive to test with ?
Maybe another one won’t “see” the third session.[/QUOTE]
Not another drive on my PC setup but there is another computer I can try it on with a NEC dvd burner and a pioneer dvd-rom. Will let you know how I get on!

I have yet to try in a different drive, however I did think I had made some progress…

I remembered I had AnyDVD installed somewhere and when I ran it, it said…

Media is an audio CD
Found and removed additional session(s) from Audio CD!
Corrected illegal TOC of Audio CD!

Marvelous, now EAC didn’t crash and saw the disc properly and all 14 tracks.
However, when I went to extract I got the following;

Exact Audio Copy couldn't detect a matching read command for this CD-ROM drive...

Yet, when I ask EAC to autodetect read command on the spot within the drive options, it immediately finds Read Command MMC1!

I usually use Winamp (Pro)'s ripping ability to extract copy protected audio that EAC struggles with but Winamp detected the disc originally as a blank cd-r, and after AnyDVD it detects fine but skips the tracks as though there is an error.

The Audio CD cannot be played by Winamp or Media Player straight from the disc.

I’ve tried an old version of EAC to “Detect TOC manually”, which only finds track 1 with AnyDVD and EAC crashes before I can detect TOC without AnyDVD.

Is there an alternative to AnyDVD that will stabilise the disc by stripping session 3?

Installing an ASPI layer (using ForceASPI) didn’t help anything so I restored the original (WindowsXP’s standard which is nothing) and I got a BSOD on reboot. Reinstalled the new ASPI and still get a BSOD after less than a minute within windows, reporting; PAGE FAULT IN NON-PAGED AREA.

Will ‘Killing’ the ASPI return stability to my WindowsXP?
I need to stop the BSOD!

Sorry for making you such inconvenience with the ASPI layer (part of suggestion in PM).

Execute the KILLASPI.BAT, reboot, then restore your original ASPI files.

Just in case you don’t have the dumped files anymore: which Service Pack do you have so someone could upload the missing files ?

P.S.: Do you have DAEMON Tools and/or Alcohol 120% installed ?
Maybe there is some conflict with its SPTD access layer (www.duplexsecure.com).
Or with some other access layer possibly installed on your system.

[QUOTE=Terramex;2201878]Sorry for making you such inconvenience with the ASPI layer (part of suggestion in PM).
Execute the KILLASPI.BAT, reboot, then restore your original ASPI files.[/QUOTE]
No worries, I’m sure it’s easy to fix once we find the culprit!
I did a dump before the first install of new ASPI for this reason but it reported that no layer was found.

Just in case you don’t have the dumped files anymore: which Service Pack do you have so someone could upload the missing files ?

I am running TinyXP (Rev8 or 9), which uses service pack 3.

P.S.: Do you have DAEMON Tools and/or Alcohol 120% installed ?
Maybe there is some conflict with its SPTD access layer (www.duplexsecure.com).
Or with some other access layer possibly installed on your system.

I have the installers, but I haven’t installed them onto my current PC.

[QUOTE=StuKeeler;2201890]I did a dump before the first install of new ASPI for this reason but it reported that no layer was found.
[/QUOTE]I mixed things up a little bit :o
XP doesn’t install it’s own ASPI layer, so it’s ok that no layer was found.
Therefore nothing can/has to be be restored, my bad :doh:

Just kill the ASPI and your system should be like it was before.

[QUOTE=Terramex;2201893]I mixed things up a little bit :o
XP doesn’t install it’s own ASPI layer, so it’s ok that no layer was found.
Therefore nothing can/has to be be restored, my bad :doh:

Just kill the ASPI and your system should be like it was before.[/QUOTE]
haha, ok.
I was going to kill the ASPI as a first port of call anyway. :wink:

Killed ASPI and rebooted… BSOD after a few moments in windows!
Installed ASPI layer and rebooted… BSOD after a few moments in windows!
Installed newer 4.71 ASPI for XP and rebooted… BSOD after a few moments in windows!

Help! I don’t know what is up but it HAS to be caused by the ASPI changes somehow; system was fine before that.

First got the BSOD after I tried to restore backup (nothing) ASPI. The batch file killed current ASPI (the adaptec 4.60) and rebooted. Then I got the errors ever since.

The only leftovers of the Adaptec ASPI layer installation with ForceASPI in the registry are:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_ASPI32
(if you want to delete this one you have to first rightclick the key -> Permissions… and grant full admin rights)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ASPI32

Both keys are maybe also present in another ControlSetx, but all those keys shouldn’t cause a BSOD :confused:

Would you please write down the line in the BSOD that begins with STOP 0x… and post it,
and also -if present- the name of a *.sys file.
Do you have errors in Event Viewer in Application log and/or System log ? Please post the Event ID.
Do you have Minidumps in \Windows\Minidump ?

EDIT:
I’ve also done a restore of “no files” as you did - no problems here

RestASPI 1.7

Found a Dumped ASPI Layer.
Windows NT or 2000 Detected.
Windows is in : C:\WINDOWS
Restoring Files...
  * WINASPI.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\system\winaspi.dll konnte nicht gefunden werden
    [ no backup, therefore killed ]
  * WOWPOST.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system\wowpost.exe konnte nicht gefunden werden
  * WNASPI32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wnaspi32.dll konnte nicht gefunden werden
  * ASPI32.SYS
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\aspi32.sys konnte nicht gefunden werden
Done!

Your Dumped ASPI Layer has been restored.
Reboot you PC to make the changes active.
Drücken Sie eine beliebige Taste . . .

This has been a bizarre one and thanks very much Thomas for all of your help. :slight_smile:

I was going to try and use the recovery console to copy repair sections of windows over from the install disc.
To do this, I had to put in my old DVD drive (ATAPI) as my SATA drive is controlled via a PCI card (old motherboard).
Somehow, in opening up the case, installing the old drive and booting the windows CD, the problem has gone away by itself!
I didn’t use the recovery console in the end as it wasn’t an option and I just rebooted without doing anything.

Either windows copied accross some files which repaired the error (I thought it only copies to a temporary directory though?)
…or…
Some hardware in my PC is problematic (RAM?) and the movement has seated it properly now.

I am happy it has been sorted but still curious as to the cause!

Here you go (always the same line, no file mentioned)…
STOP 0x10000050 (0x80000000, 0x00000000, 0x80502447, 0x00000000)

See attachment for a section of my system event log.
You can see the BSOD’s 5 times (circled red), and only one error in between.
The error I have also got recently after the system has stabilised so I think it can be ignored. It reports…

"The Human Interface Device Access service terminated with the following error: 
The specified module could not be found."

Yes, I do have minidumps for all the BSOD’s

(+ I haven’t managed to rip the CD yet! lol)

Glad you have a running system again :slight_smile: - though the cause possibly isn’t sortet out yet.

Would you please attach/upload the Minidumps you can temporally assign to the BSODs ?

[QUOTE=Terramex;2202621]Would you please attach/upload the Minidumps you can temporally assign to the BSODs ?[/QUOTE]

Will do this evening when I get home.
Many thanks.

Attached are the minidumps as promised.

Cheers :slight_smile:

Minidumps.zip (182 KB)

I don’t have the ability to make well-grounded statements, but possibly the SIS IDE drivers were the culprit.
Note the uncertainty of the analysis as the symbols for sisidex.sys could not be loaded.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc267328.aspx

EDIT:
General information about PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms793437.aspx

Bugcheck Analysis.txt (5.07 KB)

Thanks for doing that Thomas. :slight_smile:
I did look into debugging my own dumpfiles a while back but I would have to learn a bit more I think!

I’ll use the scan on the SIS website to determine the chipsets in my PC when I get home and see what it reports driverwise.
I’ll probably uninstall the current (SIS) IDE drivers (4.03) and let Windows control it natively.

When the problem went away, I installed all critical windows updates (internet connection now active at home) and chose an optional install of SIS 650 drivers. On reboot, I got another BSOD which specifically reported a problem with SIS 650 and XP did not even boot. A safe mode roll-back of the driver was fine.

Hi, just an update on CD ripping…

I tried the CD on my parents PC (Pioneer DVD-ROM) and the TOC displayed correctly in EAC… I was shocked. Quickly did a test rip of the first 2 tracks and both came out perfect.

I put it aside for a few minutes whilst I continued uninstalling programs ready for a format and when I went to try the CD again (after a couple of reboots), EAC read the TOC ok but refused to extract anything with the problem of ‘couldn’t detect read command’.
It would seem that a background program/drive emulator was somehow making the disc stable, but I cannot pinpoint which program it was.

I have just tried the CD on my old DVD-ROM drive and it has extracted great! (Pioneer Super-multi drive still crashes EAC)

The only odd part in logfile was the following;

Track  6

Filename E:\Music\T\The View\Which Bitch\06 - Glass Smash - The View.wav

Timing problem 0:04:02
     Timing problem 0:04:05

Peak level 100.0 %
     Copy CRC 8D25816B
     Copy finished

Track  7

Filename E:\Music\T\The View\Which Bitch\07 - Distant Doubloon - The View.wav

Timing problem 0:02:12
     Timing problem 0:02:24
     Timing problem 0:02:32

Peak level 100.0 %
     Copy CRC 8C619A32
     Copy finished

…but the rips are absolutely fine.

Glad I finally got around it. :slight_smile: