Problems Reading GTA3 Disc 2

vbimport

Well, like apparently many others, I went out and bought GTA3 and have been looking to make a copy. I WAS using CloneCD 3-something when I tried to read disc two, but have since updated to CloneCD 4. Anyhow, I have a Plextor 24x and have been able to make perfect copies of everything up until this CD. CD one burned like a charm because there was apparently no protection, but CD just chugged along lethargically until I gave up 1/2 hour later. It made to a whole 2% progress in that time, and it didn't even report any of the 10,000 errors I was expecting (I have it report my errors, just so I can see that it's actually progressing). Anybody know what gives? I also tried reading it from my Pioneer 16x DVD for the hell of it...nothing but confusion there. I bought the Plextor right after it came out and have never updated the firmware. Might that be worth doing? Thanx.

it’s safedisc 2.51 which, I believe, the Plextor cannot do

cd 1 +2 copied in the xact same way for me.

they are both protected by the weaksectors of sd2.51.

you make have a problem with you originals ??

So, the Plextor is (supposedly) EFM compatible, but it doesn’t do so hot with Safedisk 2.51…if this is the case, I’ll probably be running into this problem in the future. So, if it’s EFM compatible, but that doesn’t do the trick, would amplifying weak sectors do anything? Or is that only helpful when burning? I guess the problem is in the reading, not the burning. But, like I said, I only waited 1/2 an hour…and all the other Safedisk 2 discs took me like 50 minutes to read…but, they also showed signs of life during that period. Bah, stupid Plextor was supposed to be my dream burner…LiteOn from now on, I guess, or no-cd cracks or Daemon-Tools (1:1s are much preferred though). Thanks for your replies!

Originally posted by Federali
So, the Plextor is (supposedly) EFM compatible, but it doesn’t do so hot with Safedisk 2.51…if this is the case, I’ll probably be running into this problem in the future.
Yes it’s semi-EFM compatible. SafeDisc 2 is no problem but SafeDisc 2.51 will cause problems.

would amplifying weak sectors do anything? Or is that only helpful when burning? I guess the problem is in the reading, not the burning.
AWS is only helpful when burning the image. Reading is normally not the problem, but writing the image (and weak sectors).

But, like I said, I only waited 1/2 an hour…and all the other Safedisk 2 discs took me like 50 minutes to read…but, they also showed signs of life during that period.
Tried upgrading your firmware? The first firmwares for the Plex 24x were indeed very slow with SafeDisc errors but this has been fixed in later firmwares.