Problems picking up the LITE-ON LDW-401S

i have been struggleing with this problem for a while! when i boot my system up the liteon drive is displayed as a hdd with a red question mark on it! (i think thats windows saying its a raw drive), ive got all the l8test updates for my hardware and software and it does not fix the problem!

ive tried uninstalling the ide controllers and rebooting but to no effect! i know the drive works as when i go into the controller and put it from dma mode to pio mode i get the drive displayed but very slow burn speeds!

ive got dma enabled on bios and xp…its a new cable and the drive is set to master running on the primary ide channel!

ive tried formatting countless times to c if that was the prob but wif no luck (im that desperate!) once the drive actually was working to its full capacity but then after a reboot it went back to its useuall useless self again!

ive read some similar posts and have tried their methods to get it to work but with no luck! :frowning: any ideas d00d? i would very much appreatiate some help in this matter as its making me go grey! lmao :wink: