Problems installing 2 burners on my PC

vbimport

Hi!

I tried a search on this topic but did not get any results that delt with my specific problem. I have an older system, a Dell Dimension 4700 (Pentium 3, 733Mhz, 511MB ram, one 80 GIG main HD, one 20 GIG secondry HD).

I had an LG cd-r/rw drive and a no-name DVD-rom installed as well as Roxio EZ CD Creator (version three I think). When the DVD-rom bit the dust, I decided to go for a Lite-On DVD ± r/rw dual layer drive (Oem) with Nero 6.

I changed out the DVD-rom and placed the LG cd burner in as Secondary and the Lite-On in as primary.

Reboot of computer and all seemed to work great. I insalled the newer version of Power DVD (after uninstalling the old one) and at this point I discovered I was having problems.

The computer was recognising both drives but any media I put in the Lite-On was not being recognised. Placing this same medis in the LG and voila, reading just fine.

After much experimentation, I determined that the EZ CD Creator might be the culprit and uninstalled and put the Nero InCD in it’s place. Things then went from bad to worse.

And media placed in the Lite-On would cause my computer to immediately reboot!

At this point, I still couldn’t tell even if the drive worked at all so uninstalled nero, InCd, Power DVD and took out the LG cd burner. I then reinstaleld those same 3 programs and got the drive working perfectly (except for InCD but thats another problem for another day).

So at this point, I would love to put the LG cd burner back in my computer but am fearful of a repeat of what happened before and am looking for some suggestions to get both drives installed and working without having to do multiple drive switching and program uninstalling/installing.

Should I again, uninstall all programs (nero, InCd , power dvd) and put both drives in as before?(dvd burner master, cd burner as slave)

Are there any “preperation” things I should do first, like some kind of Bios adjustments? Specific driver or software updates?

I’m looking forward to any and all suggestion and I apologise for the long post…still a newbe.

Packet writing software is rather evil, at least that’s what I’m told :bigsmile:

As long as you don’t install Nero InCD or it’s Roxio equilvant (Drag to Disc) you should be ok.

Everything else seems ok, dvd burner set to master, cd to slave. Others may suggest updating firmwares and such, which is fine, just make sure everything is working before you tackle that. Give it a shot without installing those two pieces of software and let us know what happens.

Thanks for the suggestion but ultimately there is something afoot in my computer that causes it to absolutely refuse to have 2 burners in it unless the old LG CD Burner is Master and any other cd/dvd drives are Slave.

This came after hours and hours on the phone with Dell support, making changes in the Bios and trying everything but throwing the thing against the wall out of frustration.

End result:
Put DVD Burner as Master & CD Burner as slave = neither drive working properly
Put CD Burner as Master and DVD Drive as slave = everything works perfectly

So I’ve at least got both my burners working perfectly. :smiley:

Thanks for the suggestion but ultimately there is something afoot in my computer that causes it to absolutely refuse to have 2 burners in it unless the old LG CD Burner is Master and any other cd/dvd drives are Slave.

good news!

This is what I had to do on several boxes!

Yes! Had a 4700 and gave it to my son! Excellent computer with two IDE channels! The secondary IDE was turned off in the BIOS from Dell! Update your BIOS, check all BIOS settings, set all new Pioneer and Plex drives to master primary only! Use the master/slave jumper on back of drive/not the CS. And make sure you have DMA set for the IDE in Device manager advanced tab! Burning software may need an update if you have a new burner! Uninstall DLA and INCD! DLA comes pre loaded from Dell! Get rid of it! Nothing but pure grief!

And make sure you use 80 wire cables. Dell usually ships with 40 wire.

LG tells you that the LG must be master and on it’s own cable, although I have a secondary burner on the same cable, but it runs slowly.
I have 2 dvd burners on one IDE cable. I have been having trouble with whatever dvd burner that is set to slave running extremely slow, whether reading or writing. With a benchmark test from CD/DVD Speed the speed is 2.3 with a burst speed of 3mb/s. Ridiculously slow. If I switch drives and jumpers, the drives are fine. I have tried every combinations with an ND-3500, BenQ 1640 and LG 4167B. with the same results. Whichever one is the slave runs like a dog. Any ideas. DMA is on. Also, tried both on cable select and one on master the other CS as someone suggested. No luck. :confused:
How do you tell an 80 wire from a 40? I’m using the cables that came with my Asus P4P800-E Delux.

Twice as many wires as pins! it also has a blue end!

The end that goes into the mobo is blue, master black, secondary gray. I don’t see how you can count the wire.

You have 80 wire. Any possibility you are using Nvidia drivers or something other than MS?

No, just the xp drivers.

The only thing left is a different cable. Try swapping the HD if you don’t have a spare.

@ricoman, I’ve exactly the same mobo and 4 (16x) burners, all burning and reading at full speed.
I have been even using 40 conductor cables with same result and yes, Asus (delivered with mobo) IDE cables are 80 conductor type.
How are your HDD’s arranged?

@chas0039, have you ever been able to run nVidia IDE drivers on a $intel mobo?

No, and with all the problems reported here, I would never try. Same goes for the Intel IDE accelerator software.

I’m all set. For anyone who might have the same problem:
Upon rebooting press delete to enter setup program. This will bring you to the Main screen, scroll down to the Primary or Secondary IDE (whichever is giving you the problem) Mine showed the Secondary IDE Slave as “not installed”. Click on that, which brings you to another screen. Set it to “Auto”. Hit escape to bring you to the previous screen. The Secondary IDE should now show your drive. Go to top, hit exit and save configuration and your done. My 3500 now works like a Champ that it is. Still my most versatile drive thanks to Liggy-Dee’s firmware. :cool:

Strange that it worked at all. Ah well, as long as it resolved. Strange BIOS. :rolleyes:

My thoughts exactly. :iagree:

Yes! Had a 4700 and gave it to my son! Excellent computer with two IDE channels! The secondary IDE was turned off in the BIOS from Dell! Update your BIOS, check all BIOS settings, set all new Pioneer and Plex drives to master primary only! Use the master/slave jumper on back of drive/not the CS. And make sure you have DMA set for the IDE in Device manager advanced tab! Burning software may need an update if you have a new burner! Uninstall DLA and INCD! DLA comes pre loaded from Dell! Get rid of it! Nothing but pure grief!

Wanted to make a small correction…my computer is a Dell 4100 (not 4700). I’ve upaded my BIOS, checked my BIOS for the IDE’s and everything is showing active. My setup is:
Primary Master: 80gig Western Digital HD
Primary Slave: 20gig Western Digital HD
Secondary Master: LG CD Burner
Secondary Slave: Lite-On DVD Burner

I uninstalled all my old Power DVD/Adaptec EZ CD Creator/Direct DC software and installed the Nero 6 OEM that came with my new DVD drive. My computer never had DLA software installed, only the Direct CD (which I removed).

The only thing I have yet to try is to get the 80 pin IDE cable (will be getting this sometime this week).

I’m still unsure if just replacing the cable will magically solve my initial problem of wanting the DVD burner as primary and the CD burner as secondary and my system not “allowing” this to work but I’m to the point now of just leaving everything as is since everything is working.