Problems getting nero to work

Hello. this is my first post here. I used the search function and got 47 pages of results searching for nero 5.5. I tried to go through them and see if I could find answers starting with the last page as 5.5 is an older version of nero. However after going backwards through the pages until I got to page 26 I got the following message:

There seems to have been a slight problem with the database.
Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser.

An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, who you can also contact if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

So I decided to go ahead (no pun intended) and just ask my questions here.

First here is some info about my software and operating system.

Software version: Nero Express 5.5.10.53
Cd player/writer: CDRW Liteon Black 52x32x52
Operating system: Windows XP Professional
Cpu data: 2.4 GHz and 256K memory

Now for the problem and questions.

I have burned several CDs using the built in windows burner, however these CDs will not play on my DVD player. I had tried nero before and noticed that files that were burnt onto the CDs with it would play in the DVD player. So I decided to try and Make some CDS with nero. The first one I made nero worked fine and the CD plays good except for one file/track on it. That track freezes about a minute or so into it and the CD won’t start again until the next track starts. No biggie. So I decided to try and make more. This is where the real problems started.

When I open Nero, it loads fine and I get to the add files page just fine. By the way I only use the regular Cd option and not the SVCD option. And the files in question are all video files. :wink: Anyway, Nero only pulls up certain file types unless I use the drop down to list all files. After listing all files I start to add some to be burnt. When the scanning file window pops up, it either shows the green bars as the scanning progress or it starts causing the green arrow in the task bar to flash in and out repeatedly. The green arrow in question is there when I play some of the files in WMP and when right clicked on shows Direct Vodsub and some other options including the infamous Ligos mpeg-2. By the way, by my signature I will include a link to a newsgroup post of mine that worked as a way around the crashes caused by the Ligos mpeg-2.

After the green arrow flashes about 30 times the file either goes into the nero page or the nero program justs shuts down completely. Both of those have happened on the same files. Some of the files just produce the green arrow and it stays solid. The flashing ones do not remain in the taskbar and stop flashing after the file shows up in Nero.

If I get a full set of files to be burnt and start the burning process it also freezes. Meaning that at various times when Nero shows that it is encoding the files the progress bar just stops and won’t go anymore. This has occurred at 7%, 83%, 95% etc. I have not been able to successfully burn a CD since the first one.

So I guess my question is; Why?

Any answers would be appreciated, but I can not afford to update my Nero version.

Here is the link mentioned above:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.computer/browse_thread/thread/8578ff96f9a41ec3/1e00238b2278b316?lnk=st&q=Ligos+mpeg-2&rnum=44&hl=en#1e00238b2278b316

The way around is in the second post.

Thanks in advance for replies and/or solutions.

James M. Vierling Jr.

Burn at lower speeds, some standalones doesn’t like fast burned CDs.

Other than the one file that got messed up during the burning process, the problems are occurring before Nero shows that the encoding is done. The burning hasn’t even started at that point.

Well I tried a couple of things and finally got it to burn again, but the file that was messed up on the first one was messed up again on the second one. Probably more that file than Nero. What I did was close and/or exit almost every program in the start up. I also used the infotool that came with nero and found out that the system drivers were still loaded so I switched it to the ASPI drivers. Finally I just tried to burn files that it would display as opposed to switching it to all files. Apparently the latter was the major problem as I think Nero is pretty particular about what files it encodes. When I open the add box, it doesn’t display about 90% of the .wmv files, but it displays all the .avi files and almost all the .mpg files. Hopefully it will work when I convert all the .wmv files to .avi files.

On a different note, the experience and looking up the information for the first post did reveal something. The bill of sale for this computer shows that it should have a 40GB hard drive and 256 ram. However it only has a 20GB hard drive and the system window from control panel shows it at 192 ram. So I am going to be contacting the people I bought it from to find out why. That would be a company called Digilink. I would advise anyone that may have purchased a computer from them to check and make sure that they got what they payed for. I am also going to contact the local newspaper consumer help section. I wil also be posting that to all forums and/or newsgroups that I go to. They screwed the wrong person, because I fight back. I don’t have any problems with doing so physically either.

Have a nice day.

James M. Vierling Jr.

The available RAM is reduced because obviously your computer has a mobo-embedded gfx card/chip which uses your system RAM to make it work… It is normal.

256mb for a computer who is used for transcoding?!?!? Jeeeeeeeez.

That is pretty much the answer I got from digilink about the memory. On board video controller. Their reply also stated that they have no answer for the hard drive discrepancy.

What is the problem with using 256 for transcoding if I shut down everything else? Granted it took about 1 hour and 20 minutes for Nero to get through the encoding phase for a little over 79 minutes of video, but the actual burning process took less than 5 minutes. How much ram would you suggest?

How much RAM? As much as you can get/is suitable for your computer.
Honestly, 192mb RAM for running an actual 32-bit OS AND transcoding is a hard time for all components.

Well when I can afford some more memory then I will check into it. Thanks for your response.

Now I would like to apologize to Digilink for the statements that I made about them. I misread something and thought it was about the hard drive space, however it was not. The owner was nice enough to point out to check disk management to see if all the space was listed there. I did and sure enough it showed 37.26Gb which means that the correct hard drive was installed on the computer. I had never used the disk management feature before. My mistake.