Problems: Error 16 And VSO Burning Engine

I know that error 16 is a Nero Code but I cant find out the meaning of this code. My problem is that when I try to do a full disc copy as soon as DVD Fab starts to write to the disc it gives a message Task 2 Failed Error=16. This only happens with Sony Pictures DVD’s. All other DVD’s Copy Without any problems. Why does this only happen with Sony DVD’s. I have downloaded the latest version 3.2.1.0 of Dvd Fab.I have been trying since DVD Fab Version 3,1.8.0 but get the same results all the time. I have allso tried different versions of nero am at the momement using Nero 7.5.9.0.
My other problem is if I change to VSO burning engine Dvd Fab only writes to between 12% and 20% then the computor freezes up the mouse included and the keybord. The only way out is to switch off the computor and restart it again. This problem has been with me since I bought DVD Fab 18 months ago therefore I have been using Nero without any problems until about a month ago. I have contacted the DVD Fab support team on numerous times and the only reply I get from them is download the latest version of DVD Fab And try again.
Thank you for any support on these problems.

Look for a post from Stormjumper and follow his clean uninstall instructions of DVDFAB in his signature then download the latest version and try using these setting

My DVDFAB Platinum Settings Which Work Great For Me
Read
I/O Mode: Auto
Check: Ask Retry/Ignore/Abort When Reading Error
Retry: 5 Times
Skip Sectors After Reading Error: 32
Cache Control: Check Enable Read Ahead

Write
Write: Burning Engine VSO
Write Speed: 4X or 8X ( I use Verbatim 16X +R media writing at 8X or 12X)
DVD Writeable Media: DVD-5 Size 4472 ( less compression )
Write Type: SAO
Check Booktype To DVD-ROM ( only for DVD+R/RW Media )

Protection
Check Everything

Path Player
Enable Path Player when necessary

Hi Jimbo
Thanks for the advice. I will try these settings and see what it does. I dont know when I will be able to reply agian as I am having problems with my internet connection at the momement.
Thanks

Hi Jimbo
I followed your advice and found the post from Stormjumper and done excatly as the instructions then followed your instructions with the settings. Unfortunatly I still have the same problem the only difference is that DVD Fab now went as far as 33.67% before freezing the mouse and keybord. Itried again with Nero and got the same results as before Error=16. I have in the meantime copied 3 non Sony DVD’s wiyhout any problem.

Hi Gerald: I believe you either have a bad batch of media or a bad source disc, just because the source disc plays does not mean it can be backed up. Try cleaning the disc or using some quality media, like Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden. It just might help. If it is freezing your keyboard also it is most probably locking up your whole system. Sounds like bad source disc to me.

Hi alan1476
Dvd Fab Copies the files to the hard disc. All eight Dvd’s That I cant get written to the blank DVD’s are on my hard drive. I allso thought it Could be the source discs so I tried different source discs. For instance I had two different Spiderman single disc DVD’s and The Two DIsc Version with the same results. I know I am repeating myself but this problem only happens with Sony pictures DVD’s. So far all the other DVD’s have copied without any problems using the same media. When I get the error=16 message with nero I use that same disc to copy a non Sony pictures DVD to without any problems. Therefore it does not seem to be a media or bad source disc.

Hi Gerald if the are rips on your hard drive can you burn them with Imgburn?It is a great free program.

Hi tgidday
Thanks for the information I downloaded Imgburn and it copied the files to a DVD. I now have the movies on disc it is a slightly longer way of doing the copy but at least it works. I allso downloaded the trial version of 1 Click DVD Copy 5 which uses VSO burn engine and the program allso freezes the mouse and keyboord the same as DVD Fab. So in future I do the copies the long way as thier does not seem to be a answer to my problem.
Thanks for all the input.
Gerald Crouch

Gerald

See if the folks at VSO can help you. Click on the link to VSO support in my sig.

Have you had any response to your problem??? I am having the same problem and have tried everything. I used to have a Ide drive and upgraded and now have scsi card and have had nothing but problems since scsi? Any suggestions would be helpful???

[quote=Lori R;2032645]Have you had any response to your problem??? I am having the same problem and have tried everything. I used to have a Ide drive and upgraded and now have scsi card and have had nothing but problems since scsi? Any suggestions would be helpful???[/quote]I would offer you the same advice I gave Gerald back in October–try the VSO support link in my sig. You could also post a burn log and let other users take a look–someone might spot the problem.

Still having problems , as I am new at this site and I am not sure what you mean by VSO support and I defintely do not know how to post a burn log???
I went into my device manager and uninstalled both drives, shut down my computer, restarted and windows gave my burner & rom drivers. I was able to burn one movie . When I tried to burn another one…same thing happened.
DVD Fab copied the movie no problem and then it burned to about 23 per cent and failed again. (process failed) HELP:a

VSO support is the tech support at VSO Software, the company that supplies the burn engine that comes with DVDFab. To get there you can click on the red link below that says “VSO Burning Engine Support”. A burn log is a text file that details the burn process and the interaction between DVDFab and your burner. It can be found in My Documents\DVDFab\Log\dvdfab_burn_vso.log. You can open it with notepad and copy one or two of the groups of entries and paste them into a post here in the forum. They look like this:

4/8/2008 10:08:54 PM info ******************** Report session closed *********************
4/8/2008 10:05:40 PM info Finalization Time 00:01:52 - Total completion time 00:18:58
4/8/2008 10:05:40 PM info WRITE SUCCESS
4/8/2008 10:03:48 PM info Write finished in 00:17:06 - Finalization start here. Avg. burn rate 5.41
4/8/2008 9:47:13 PM info Lead-in burning time (mS) 0
4/8/2008 9:46:42 PM info Write started 3415696 sectors to write
4/8/2008 9:46:42 PM info Layer change set to LBA 1764864 (3.37 Gb.)
4/8/2008 9:46:42 PM info Writing speed requested x6.0, effective x6.0
4/8/2008 9:46:42 PM info layer break set by filesystem builder at 1764864
4/8/2008 9:46:42 PM info Available write speed: 10x, 8x, 6x, 4x
4/8/2008 9:46:41 PM info Media ID: MKM-003-00
4/8/2008 9:46:41 PM info Media type: Dual Layer DVD+R
4/8/2008 9:46:39 PM info Optimal Layer Break is in cell 11, around 00:53:39
4/8/2008 9:46:39 PM info Scanned files #28, folder #2 - total size 6994188288 b. (6.51 Gb.)
4/8/2008 9:46:39 PM info Inserted media type : DL DVD+R
4/8/2008 9:46:39 PM info Write started
4/8/2008 9:27:02 PM info New media inserted. Burning layer is ready to write
4/8/2008 9:27:00 PM info Compatible media types : DVD-R, DVD-RW Seq., DVD-RW RO, DVDRAM, DVD+R, DVD+RW, CD-R, CD-RW, DL DVD+R, DL DVD-R
4/8/2008 9:27:00 PM info New Drive selected : 0:0:0 - HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-E60L 1.00 [F] (Usb)
4/8/2008 8:16:37 PM info Current Drive selected : 1:0:0 - HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4083N 1.08 [D] (Ide)
4/8/2008 8:16:37 PM info Using Patin-Couffin driver Version 1.37, Internal revision 37 - Async. Access mode
4/8/2008 8:16:37 PM info User default language : 1033 (0x0409h) - English (United States)
4/8/2008 8:16:37 PM info System default language : 1033 (0x0409h) - English (United States)
4/8/2008 8:16:37 PM info DLL Version 2.1.7.338
4/8/2008 8:16:37 PM info DLL C:\Program Files\DVDFab Platinum 4\vso_hwe.dll
4/8/2008 8:16:37 PM info Version 4, 1, 2, 0
4/8/2008 8:16:37 PM info ExeName : "C:\Program Files\DVDFab Platinum 4\DVDFabPlatinum.exe"
4/8/2008 8:16:37 PM info OS : Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (Build 2600).

You should be able to find one of the recent failures–post that.

All this being said, the symptom you describe is usually caused not by DVDFab but by conflicts with other applications on your PC that access the DVD burning drive by means of what is known as a filter. The easiest way to explore that is a small free program called devfilter.exe that you can download here.Download and run it; it will produce a screen like the one below. Single click on the drive you use for burning in the left hand window; the right hand window will then show the filter drivers associated with it. Single click on each filter and the lower area will populate with the information on where the filter came from and usually what software installed it. In the screen below, the filter was installed by WinDVD. The information on each filter can be copied to the clipboard and pasted in a post. Common conflicts have been reported by other users with Roxio, Sonic and versions of some Nero components (InCD). Try the VSO link, it has automatic software that will gather all this information and submit it for you.[quote=Lori R;2034884]Still having problems , as I am new at this site and I am not sure what you mean by VSO support and I defintely do not know how to post a burn log???
I went into my device manager and uninstalled both drives, shut down my computer, restarted and windows gave my burner & rom drivers. I was able to burn one movie . When I tried to burn another one…same thing happened.
DVD Fab copied the movie no problem and then it burned to about 23 per cent and failed again. (process failed) HELP:a[/quote]