Problems copying, will copy & burn, playback varies, mucho problemo! PLZ Help!

Okay, let me see if I can describe this situation. I want to copy a series of DVDs, 14 in total, all TV series content. I have done this several times before with the same series, albeit different seasons/DVD content.

Here is my dilemma. It seems this bunch of DVDs would like to be tricky. I’m not sure what the root problem is, I’m hoping someone will know.

My normal process (if possible) is to simply use Nero Recode2 to both copy & compress the DVD to my hard drive and then I load the DVD folder/files back into Nero Recode2 and burn from there. Always no problem, always works. In this case though, the DVDs have copy protection so I can’t rip them using Recode2. What I did before to get around this was to use DVD Shrink which seems to bypass/ignore copy protection and rips the DVD just fine and dandy.

So I ripped the DVDs using DVD Shrink, compressing them to a normal DVD size. Rip seemed to go fine, no error messages and such. I then loaded the rip into Recode2 (no probs) and burned the DVD (also no probs).

Now, when I play the DVD I get the intro screens (company and warnings and such) and then it will load the menu. Here is where my playback becomes glitchy. The main menu has 6 different episode options. Usually only the first episode will load. The other buttons don’t seem to work, yielding a Disc Error message on my DVD player, or Unexpected DVD Error when playing on my computer with Nero Showtime. The other 5 episode buttons usually won’t work. Sometimes all buttons won’t work, sometimes some will. I know it’s not a problem with the video content, because when I can get the first episode button to load the episode I can use the skip to next chapter button on my remote to skip through the entire DVD.

I really have no idea what the cause of this may be and would gladly appreciate any thoughts or help.

So you know:
Burner: Memorex 16x Dual Layer +/-
Firmware: BWSE
Media: Verbatim 16x DVD+R

Like I said though, I have copies all other DVDs other than this series of 14 before with no problems.

have you tried using anydvd running in the background and then use nero recode

No, I haven’t used this, what does Anydvd do?

It removes the protection and maybe the new disk have something in the protection that is causing the problem . You could also download clonedvd from slysoft along with anydvd and use there trial to see if you get a good copy. Without knowing the tv season you are burning it is hard to help you more.

Stephmw -

Visit SlySoft (http://www.slysoft.com) and download a copy of AnyDVD and CloneDVD.

If you unfamiliar with the AnyDVD-CloneDVD software combination below is a link to the AnyDVD-CloneDVD User Tutorial that details the use of these programs.

http://forum.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?threadid=72022

BeLooken