Problems copying video files from DVD to hard drive

vbimport

i cannot get video files that are on dvd to copy to another hard drive. could anyone help me? thank you

Gonna need a little bit more info than that, no a lot more.

hi, i have videos that were recorded from avi files on a hard drive. i want to transfer the files from the dvd to a hard drive. i am using “magic dvd ripper” software and it will transfer video files from a store bought dvd but it will not recognize the computer made dvds. i bought it just for that purpose and tested it on store bought dvds so now i’m out of luck with that software, i guess. any advise or suggeston would be greatly appreciate and thank you for answering. beaglehorns

Are these AVIs stored on the computer or are they on a DVd already. Do you wish to burn these AVI files to a Dvd?

For backing up Dvds that you own, one option would be the link I will supply, all free. This would be for movies & not for episodic Dvds. Posts #67 to 74, but please also read post #78 & any questions that you have, ask here.

Movie only + 5.1

Unless you have a Dvd player that is capable of playing AVIs etc, you will first need to convert them into Dvd compliant files, IFO, BUP & VOB. This can be done with Dvd Flick or FAVC, there is even a free trial of a very good program, ConvertXtoDvd which I highly recommend. Then you can burn the result to a Dvd with ImgBurn, which you will come across in the above link.

[QUOTE=beaglehorns;2153741]hi, i have videos that were recorded from avi files on a hard drive. i want to transfer the files from the dvd to a hard drive. i am using “magic dvd ripper” software and it will transfer video files from a store bought dvd but it will not recognize the computer made dvds. i bought it just for that purpose and tested it on store bought dvds so now i’m out of luck with that software, i guess. any advise or suggeston would be greatly appreciate and thank you for answering. beaglehorns[/QUOTE]

you can use ImgBurn for burning avi files to dvd then just drag and drop the files from the dvd to hard drive using windows explorer.

use ImgBurn in build mode to create a data dvd/cd

[QUOTE=beaglehorns;2153741]hi, i have videos that were recorded from avi files on a hard drive. i want to transfer the files from the dvd to a hard drive. i am using “magic dvd ripper” software and it will transfer video files from a store bought dvd but it will not recognize the computer made dvds. i bought it just for that purpose and tested it on store bought dvds so now i’m out of luck with that software, i guess. any advise or suggeston would be greatly appreciate and thank you for answering. beaglehorns[/QUOTE]
You don’t need software to copy from your DVD’s. Simply [B]Explore[/B] the DVD, hightlight all the files-> [B]Copy-[/B]> then[B] Paste [/B]to a new folder on your Hard drive.

HELLOOO MYSTICEYES, i followed your instructions and it worked perfectly. you’re a genius i don’t know how to thank you. i have over 2,000 videos to transfer and this is quick and comes out perfectly. thanks again. beaglehorns

[QUOTE=troy512;2153782]you can use ImgBurn for burning avi files to dvd then [B]just drag and drop the files from the dvd to hard drive using windows explorer.[/B]

use ImgBurn in build mode to create a data dvd/cd[/QUOTE]

your welcome :slight_smile:

Everytime I try and play the files they will not open so how do I get the files to play?

[QUOTE=jtracy55;2163074]Everytime I try and play the files they will not open so how do I get the files to play?[/QUOTE]

You lost me here? What are you trying to do? If you problem isn’t specific with the OP could you post a different thread and provide us with more info as to your problem???

I have copied the DVD file to the hard drive but when I click on the file it will not play on any of my players.

Is there a problem with just playing from the DVD itself???

There is no problem playing from the DVD it is when I go to the saved file and double click on Video_TS KMP DVD Movie File it does nothing.
So I guess what I am asking is what player will open this kind of file.

Thanks

AFAIK. Just play from the DVD unless your going to convert dvd over to another format. Playing from the HDD is shorting its’ usefullness lifespan. One is better playing the DVD and backing to another DVD. HDD are more expensive to replace compared to buying a new burner to play the DVD. That is my take on it.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2164679]AFAIK. Just play from the DVD unless your going to convert dvd over to another format.[B] Playing from the HDD is shorting its’ usefullness lifespan. [/B]One is better playing the DVD and backing to another DVD. HDD are more expensive to replace compared to buying a new burner to play the DVD. That is my take on it.[/QUOTE]
Using that logic, how about the folks who feel the need to defrag their system’s (NTFS) daily with the basically useless ‘fancy’ 3rd party defraggers?

[QUOTE=MysticEyes;2164800]Using that logic, how about the folks who feel the need to defrag their system’s (NTFS) daily with the basically useless ‘fancy’ 3rd party defraggers?[/QUOTE]

What logic is that??? That doesn’t even go along with what I said???

I am having a problem trying to backup my copy of The Dark Knight. Everytime I launch DVDFAB5 it starts up but then it shuts down the program. Can someone help?

Thanks

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2164863]What logic is that??? That doesn’t even go along with what I said???[/QUOTE]

Playing from the HDD is shorting its’ usefullness lifespan.

I had assumed from your statement that accessing a movie off a hard drive entailed, what you considered to be, needless read operations that would in effect shorten it’s lifespan. Accepting that to be valid and using the same logic would mean defragging, which entails both read [B]and[/B] write operations should also shorten it’s lifespan… even more.