Problems coping 2 discs at once

I was wondering if DVDFab supports doing 2 copies at the same time ?

I have 2 Plextor PX800A’s, a Adaptec RAID controller card and 4 WD Raptor drives. 3Ghz machine. 4GB ram.

I use W2K by choice. Nothing installed on this machine except DVDFab and Nero. No virus scanner or ANY other software, its a virgin W2K install with updates. All un needed services disabled, in BIOS all un needed hardware disabled.

I have done testing using Nero CD-DVD speed and can benchmark both drives at the same time at 18X for writing and reading with no problems. The RAID benchmarks from HD Tach are 90MB/sec.

Nero can write to both drives at the same time when burning DVD-R at 18X perfectly.

DVDFab however is weird when reading discs. Sometimes completing locking up and requiring task manager to stop it.

At times it works perfectly.

I am a licensed DVDFab platinum user.

I was wondering if using 2 instantness on 2 drives is a supported function ? And if so does anyone have any suggestions on tricks doing this ?

Other then that, this is a OUTSTANDING product. I have had -zero- problems over a long time on a huge number of DVD backups.

Exactly how do you have your Plex’s and Raptors set up? What is hooked to Adaptec RAID controller card?

The Raptors are the only things connected to the Adaptec 2410SA
http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/products/sata_cards/entry/AAR-2410SA/
Obviously RAID 0 for performance

The PATA Plex drives are controlled by the motherboard, a ABIT IC7-G.

The rest of the MB hardware is disabled. This machine is dedicated to DVDFab / Nero use and only does dvd backups.

The machine works perfectly in every way with -zero- hickups to date. Everything works perfectly using just one drive at once. Things work pretty good using 2 drives at once but at some point DVDFab will lockup.I can use DVDFab to read the disc and Nero to write discs at the same time. Using 2 Nero’s to burn 2 discs at once works perfectly.

One of the problems I know exists when doing 2 DVDFab’s at once is that when you start up a second DVDFab while the first is already running it will attempt to read what disc is in the drive that is already being copied. Maybe it should see that drive as “in-use” and not scan it. This reading of the disc already being copied causes the drive to work really hard and, at least for me, sometimes caused lockup.

I’m sure your rig is running really good.

The better way to burn 2 DVD’s at the same time would be to use different IDE or SATA hard drives feeding the info to the 2 burners. That way your not tying up the same controller with 2 burns.

I have not tried to burn 2 discs with Fab but i have burned two Verbatim +R DL’s at the same time with ImgBurn here. I ripped both video’s to separate hard drives then burned both at 4X.

i haven’t got SATA or RAID, just normal IDE hard drives and IDE burners (though some burners are in USB2.0 enclosures) and only use freebie version of DVDFab, however i often rip up to 3 DVD’s with DVDFab (sometimes i mix and match with DVD Decrypter ripping alongside DVDFab). For burning i use Nero’s multiple recorder feature on 2 or 3 burners concurrently. I can burn up to 8x using the multiple recorder feature.

the socket 478 P4’s were kind of lame for video encoding, if there’s any compression versus ripping going on then I would think your cpu is dropping the ball

try to make sure that only one conversion or compression is taking place at the same time

don’t even mention hyperthreading, a bunch of intel smoke and mirrors

DaChew is a veteran 2 disc at the same time burner member also :iagree:

I did my first dual burn when cd writters hit 32X using nero 5.5, using a lame hard drive and a amd xp 1600(ugh!), my 256 megs of kingston value ram wouldn’t do it.
Got some cas 2 premium ram and all was fine. Burning is not cpu intensive, or at least it shouldn’t be, nero can go a little overboard.

I only burn 2 dvd’s or copy on the fly at 16x for testing purposes, not as a practise or habit, heck that would be crazy.

Cool info ! Thanx !

“The better way to burn 2 DVD’s at the same time would be to use different IDE or SATA hard drives feeding the info to the 2 burners. That way your not tying up the same controller with 2 burns.”

This MB has 2 IDE controller chips. So the Plex’s are on different IRQ’s.

Also with 90MB/s of HD bandwidth and separate IRQ’s im not sure having 2 controllers will make that much difference. I could buy another RAID card and split up my 4 drive array into 2 RAIDS.

This brings up another question, is PATA or SATA better for the 800A & this application. The 800A comes in either.

“the socket 478 P4’s were kind of lame for video encoding, if there’s any compression versus ripping going on then I would think your cpu is dropping the ball”

The MB and CPU were free, so I can’t argue. Also this MB has been out long enough for every know issue to posted somewhere - there are almost no known issues. But you have a good point.

I would think that decryption also uses CPU resources ?

I clone everything and have in fact never used compression. I use lots of Verbatim DVD+R DL’s.

I will try doing compression on 2 at once and see if anything smokes :slight_smile: or hangs.

“I only burn 2 dvd’s or copy on the fly at 16x for testing purposes, not as a practise or habit, heck that would be crazy.”

Hmmm… Why ? Burn/rip quality ? I have used CD-DVD speed quality check to scan discs after burning and they have really low amounts of errors and my DVDFab reads are great as I set the “retry” option to 0 to alert me on a error and I set “sectors to skip” to 0. My hundreds of backed up DVD’s play without any issues at all.

On doing clones DVDFab usually starts at about 6-8MB/s and peaks at about 15MB/s when I do both at once and clone. Some discs go way higher for some reason and I have seen 20MB/s.

CD-DVD speed with the option “Create Data Disc” enabled will smoothly write up to 18X using Verbatim DVD-R on both drives at once no problems.

Almost everyday I rip and burn at full speeds at the same time and have hundreds of discs done this way with almost zero issues other then the ones im reporting in this thread.

I can assure everybody ripping/burning 2 dvd-r’s at 18X at the same time works fine with just minor hiccups. It did however require careful attention to hardware and BIOS and required disabling a lot of windows stuff and BIOS stuff to make it work best. In fact im tempted to buy another Plex 800A with SATA for a 3rd ripping/burning channel.

I just don’t like waiting around to backup dvd’s.

Evidently :bigsmile:
I would use all SATA or both SATA and PATA drives on different channels.

Anyway keep us posted on your crusade to doing exclusive multiple simultaneous burns. I would like to know anyway. I might try doing 3 +R DL’s sometime soon :bigsmile:

I have tried 2 discs at once using compression “Full Disc”. I used Natural Born Killers and Edward Scissor hands. They both reported a 53% quality.

This did not peg my CPU at 100, mostly about 90%. There was between 3 and 10% still showing on the System Idle service in Task manager.

Both processes topped out at 5.8MB/sec.

I put in both discs. I then started both DVDFabs at the same time.

They took a long time and kinda fought with the first drive to scan it. IE They were both trying to scan the same disc. The cancel function does not abort this process.

Once up, I then set each DVDFab to its correct drive and “full Disc” and away they went.

No problems. I did not let DVDFab burn, as I use Nero for that.

Before I began I installed a Lite-On drive I just bought for another computer using a sata connection I have on the MB that uses its own controller.

After the 2 Plex’s were DVDFab’ing I placed a third disc into the lite-on. I then started a third DVDFab.

THIS caused a issue. One I had seen before and a real bug.

After quite a bit of fighting with the Natural Born Killers drive ( another DVDFab was already reading it ) it gave up and I was able to point it to the new Lite-On and its disc.

It reported “The disc in the drive is a data disc, you can use Clone to copy it”.

I have seen this before. It occurs when you try and start up a DVDFab while another is already ripping.

This is fatal. It also effects ALL open DVDFabs from that point on. Every disc inserted will report as a “Data Disc”.

You have to close all open DVDFabs and start again.

THIS is the actual bug that has caused me issues.

This ALSO occurs if one DVDFab rip finishes and you pull the disc and insert the next disc WHILE THE OTHER DRIVE IS STILL RIPPING. You pop in the new discs and wait for a scan. Many times, not always, it will then go into “Data Disc mode” and you have to wait for everything to finish ripping, exit all the DVDFab processes and restart things.

Im going to now go and try to DVDFab 3 discs at once.

You see im trying to get my CPU temp to go up. So far I am not doing well as it keeps at about 160 F. I also have not gotten anything to lock up yet either.

Well…

I must say the DVDFab compression at 53% quality looks quite nice. I am glad I did this because on some DVD’s I would rather loose a tiny bit of quality and burn them to a DVD 5 rather then burn them to a expensive DVD+R DL.
I did rip 3 dvd’s at the same time using DVDFab. I had to start them all up first. Then go to each one and choose the disc to copy.

If I tried to load a new disc in as soon as one stopped it would cause the “Data Disc” problem. BUT if I waited for all the drive to finish I could then start on a new round.

I could use Nero at the same time to burn without any issues.

I did see a drop in speed of copying while doing compression on doing 3 at a time. I also pegged my CPU at 98-100%.

I was annoyed by one thing doing compression. The Natural Born Killer dvd5 53% copy ended up being larger then even orverburning a dvd-r could do… The resulting .iso was too big to make a DVD-R from. While the Edward Scissor hands was only 3.9GB.

So I now have a 2+ at a time reproducible bug to report.

If you start a dvd ripping and then start a second instance of DVDFab it will many times result in “data disc” and not be able to work. This condition can only be cleared when you kill off all instances of DVDFab and restart it.

However if you start them all first and then start ripping this works as long as you let them all end before starting again.

I would like to bump this older question to the top again.

I now have 3 Drives.

I can burn 3 dvd-dl’s at the same time. If I have 20 ISO’s on my HD I can just burn and once one finishes I just pop in the next disc until I am finished. Using Nero makes this childs play…

However I can only use one instance of DVD-Fab at a time.

If I start all three up at once, put 3 discs in and RIP then it will work and all three will rip at once.

However once one finishes the process of scanning the new disc will result in trying to scan the other 2 drives that are still ripping and then will result in DVD-Fab becoming locked up. The other instances of DVD-Fab will finish but you cannot use them either.

You have to close ALL the DVD-Fab instances and restart.

I would like for DVD-Fab to work better with more then one drive at a time.

[QUOTE=DaChew;1879886]
I only burn 2 dvd’s or copy on the fly at 16x for testing purposes, not as a practise or habit, heck that would be crazy.[/QUOTE]

exactly - why would anyone who’s not a pro bootlegger want/need to burn multiple copies at once.

IF it works ( big IF) you save what - 15 minutes -, and for that you run a far greater risk of bad copies, even with a dual or quad core CPU, as each burn is continually being interrupted so that the CPU can serve data to the next dirve.

I guess it does’nt matter if you are going to sell the copies on street corners, but if you plan to watch them yourself then burn them one at a time & make a quality product !

Sounds good to me, Amen :bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile::cool:

[QUOTE=Xymox;1879965]Almost everyday I rip and burn at full speeds at the same time and have hundreds of discs done this way QUOTE]

and of course, you have purchased all of the originals and are only making hundreds of backups for some perfectly sensible & legal reason :slight_smile:

Illegal copying…

NO I am not copying. I am NOT a bootlegger.

I have over a 2000 DVD’s. I have a extensive collection. I buy 20 sometime more a week. From a collectors standpoint I do not want to use my orginals as it might lead to a scratch. I buy them, bring them home and burn a backup. I then ONLY use the backup, NEVER using the orginal.

This preserves my vast collection in perfect condition.

:frowning:

Think about it. I have a stack of 30 discs. At 17 minutes each how long would I have to sit in front of the computer ???

8 1/2 hours !!!

JUST TO RIP THEM ! With burning its 16+ hours !!!

Using 3 drives drops this to 1/3 the time or like 2 hours.

I might add a fourth drive.

I have a very reasonable application and need for 4 drives.

*** I am reporting a BUG or maybe a feature request ***

I want DVDFab Pro to use more then one drive at a time. Currently even the beta does not do this correctly.

[QUOTE=Xymox;1929620]

Think about it. I have a stack of 30 discs. At 17 minutes each how long would I have to sit in front of the computer ???

8 1/2 hours !!!

.[/QUOTE]

ah - here we have the misunderstood part of the process. Has no-one told you that you don’t actually have to sit & watch the program to make it work!

So start it off & do something else for 17 minutes :slight_smile:

PS it helpfully dings when its finished a rip, so you can then come back & slot the next disc.

PPS compared with the time you’re gonna need to watch those 30 DVDs ( you do watch them don’t ya & not just collect them) , this is a non issue. Hel,l you could even multi-task watch one copy on your dvd player while you are burning the next. on your PC
Lets see 30 movies per week at 2 1/2 hours each including the bonus stuff. That’s 75 hours viewing per week you have to fit in. :slight_smile: