Problems burning

vbimport

I’ve had my laptop for over a year, and it has a TSSTcorp TS-L632D burner…it worked just fine until a couple of weeks ago, when it would say it successfully burned a cd, but when I reinserted the cd into the drive, it read it as blank, and any other cd player I inserted it in wouldn’t read it, so, since it was being read as blank, I tried burning again, and it said the disc wasn’t blank at that point. Has anybody else had this problem? Help, please!

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

There are two main possible causes for this problem:

[ol]
[li]The disc you are using is a very low quality disc, and after the burning you got a coaster. The solution is to buy quality discs and avoid “el cheapo” coasters.
[/li][li]The burner is beginning to fail, so you need a new burner :frowning:
[/li][/ol]

To check if the drive is failing, try to burn some quality discs and see if the problem is still there. If you get coasters also using quality discs, then you should save money for a new drive :frowning:

Being a laptop, there are two possibilities:

[ol]
[li]Buy a new slim drive to be installed internally (not exactly a cheap solution, but the lesser cumbersome one)
[/li][li]Buy an external drive to be connected to the laptop via USB or Firewire port. Much more cheap (and efficient) solution, but rather cumbersome because an external drive requires an external power supply. Rather uncomfortable but you can get an excellent drive (very often laptop and slim drives in general are not exactly excellent drives :()
[/li][/ol]

Well, it’s the same brand of disc i’ve used since I got the computer, and I don’t like that…that means i’m gonna have to buy a new drive…crap…

Depends what the disc brand is - some brands can be made by several different manufacturers (and then just branded with e.g. Memorex or Philips or whatever).

@ Maverick182,

Unfortunately stating you are using the “Same Brand Of Disc I’ve Used Since I Got The Computer” doesn’t provide any pertinent information on the Manufacturer and Media Code of the Media you are actually using.

The definitive means to identify Media is by the Media MID (Manufacture ID and Media Code) {Examples: TYG02, MKM001, RITEKG05}. To obtain the Media MID use a software utility program similar to DVDInfo (http://www.dvdinfopro.com) or DVD Identifier (http://dvdidentifier.cdfreaks.com).

Suggest using one of the above referenced software utility program and provide the Media MID (Manufacture ID and Media Code) of your undisclosed “Same Brand Of Disc I’ve Used Since I Got The Computer”.

Also to obtain the optimal performance from your DVD Burner it is prudent to ensure that your DVD Burner has the newest most current up to date Firmware available installed.

Regards,
bjkg

[quote=bjkg;2041313]@ Maverick182,

Unfortunately stating you are using the “Same Brand Of Disc I’ve Used Since I Got The Computer” doesn’t provide any pertinent information on the Manufacturer and Media Code of the Media you are actually using.

The definitive means to identify Media is by the Media MID (Manufacture ID and Media Code) {Examples: TYG02, MKM001, RITEKG05}. To obtain the Media MID use a software utility program similar to DVDInfo (http://www.dvdinfopro.com) or DVD Identifier (http://dvdidentifier.cdfreaks.com).

Suggest using one of the above referenced software utility program and provide the Media MID (Manufacture ID and Media Code) of your undisclosed “Same Brand Of Disc I’ve Used Since I Got The Computer”.

Also to obtain the optimal performance from your DVD Burner it is prudent to ensure that your DVD Burner has the newest most current up to date Firmware available installed.

Regards,
bjkg[/quote]

When I say I’ve used “The same brand of cd”, I mean from the exact same package. (I don’t burn a whole lot). That being said, the burning was working for “the same brand of disc” until a couple of weeks ago. So I don’t believe that information is pertinent.

@ Maverick182,

You might not think providing the Media MID (Manufacture ID and Media Code) {Examples: TYG02, MKM001, RITEKG05} of your “Same Brand Of Disc I’ve Used Since I Got The Computer” is pertinent information but in fact it is.

Suggest noting Forum Member Arachne posting #4 comments.

The vast majority of DVD Media is not actually manufactured by marketer name stamped on the package. Example Memorex, TDK, Imation, KHypermedia, Et cetera do not manufacture ANY DVD Media but sub-contract the Media manufacturing to various DVD Media manufactures. Sometimes their sub-contractor produces acceptable Media and sometimes their sub-contractor produces poor quality problematic Media. Sometimes these various Media manufacturing sub-contractors Quality Control procedures are less than optimal and they produce inconsistent quality Media. One Media disk in a package might produce acceptable Burning results but the very next Media disk in the package could produce unacceptable Burning results. These Media marketers are routinely changing their Media sub-contractors. There is no definitive way to know if the package of Media you purchased last month is actually manufacture by the same Media sub-contractor that manufactured the package of Media your purchased today.

The only way you can definitively compare last months Media with today’s Media is by comparing the Media MID (Manufacture ID and Media Code) {Examples: TYG02, MKM001, RITEKG05} of the two Media packages.

If you anticipate receiving meaningful assistance from Forum Members in trouble shooting your problem you will have to assist Forum Members in analyzing your particular situation. Providing the Media MID (Manufacture ID and Media Code) {Examples: TYG02, MKM001, RITEKG05} of your “Same Brand Of Disc I’ve Used Since I Got The Computer” is pertinent information in analyzing your particular situation.

If you chose to keep the Media MID of your “Same Brand Of Disc I’ve Used Since I Got The Computer” Media a secret you only hamper the effective trouble shooting of your problem.

Also do not overlook the suggestion of ensuring that your DVD Burner has the newest most current up to date Firmware available installed.

Regards,
bjkg