Problems Burning to DVD

Hi and sorry if this has been done before.

I am totally new to the world of burning DVD. I have an LG GSA - H20 DVD+_RW DL+_R DVD RAM (At least thats what the packaging says!) on a new machine running Win XP Home SP2 trying to burn with Nero Smart Suite.

I am having no problems at all burning CD’s and CD RW’s but when I try to burn data to a DVD it says I need to format the disk first which I do within Nero and it uses InCD (I think) once this has been done all I get is messages saying wrong disk type please insert correct type of disk etc etc. If I then look at the drive in Win explorer it shows as a CD drive not as DVD drive, sometimes however it shows as DVD RAM drive.
After this the DVD disk seems to be unusable anywhere.

What am I doing wrong? Please help!

Thanks in advance
Rob

Many thanks in advance

Welcome to CD Freaks

Firstly don’t worry about Windows Explorer & what it calls the device. This is just a quirk.

Nero’s INCD can cause loads of problems & is best never installed. Not sure how you uninstall it but it’s got to be worth a try.

Are you trying to write to a DVD RW (rewritable) or just a standard DVD +R/-R? If it’s an RW then yes Nero must format it first but is unlikely to use InCD for the writing (I believe). What’s likely to be happening is that Nero isn’t finalising the disk to make it readable on other PCs. That’ll be in preferences somewhere depending on what version of Nero you’ve got.

However, if you’ve used a DVD+R/-R then Nero would just create ythe Data DVD without any problems.

So to progress this further we need to know the Nero version & the media you’re trying to write to. Nero’s CD-DVD Speed (found in the tools area) , with the disc info tab will give full details including the Media ID.

Hi Tim

Thanks for your reply.

Im not sure what version of Nero it is but it came with a new drive 3 weeks ago so I suspect 6?

If I hover over “Format/Prepare DVD” I get a message that says “Opens with InCD” Is this the problem? Does it try to prepare the DVD as a CD?

I’m not sure that finalizing would be the problem as Nero doesnt get as far as even writing any data to the disk. It just says that its the wrong kind of disk?

Here is the text from Disk Info:

Nero CD-DVD Speed: Disc Info
Basic Information
Disc Type: : DVD-RW
Book Type : DVD-RW
Manufacturer: : TDK
MID : TDK502sakuM3
Write speeds: : 2 X
Blank Capacity : 4.38 GB
: 4488 MB
: 4706076672 bytes
Extended Information
Layers : 1
Usage : General
Copyright protection : n/a
Recorder information : recorded with HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H20L
Disc Status : Empty
Raw Data
Pre-recorded Information in Lead-in (0Eh)
0000 - 01 40 D6 FD 9E D8 21 00 02 0F 05 06 88 75 0D 00 - .@…!..u…
0010 - 03 54 44 4B 35 30 32 00 04 73 61 6B 75 4D 33 00 - .TDK502…sakuM3.
0020 - 05 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 E0 D4 05 00 18 EE 90 7C - …|
0030 - 78 FB 90 7C FF FF FF FF 71 FB 90 7C 18 6A DD 77 - x…|…q…|.j.w
0040 - 51 6A DD 77 00 00 15 00 02 00 00 80 30 00 00 00 - Qj.w…0…
0050 - 18 00 00 00 30 00 00 00 18 D5 05 00 40 00 01 00 - …0…@…
0060 - 0B 00 00 00 20 D4 05 00 4E 00 4E 00 98 D5 05 00 - …N.N…

Cheers
Rob

if you have a nero disc & serial number you could try to uninstall and reinstall but install as custom and de-select IN-CD.

not sure if it has a custom install, but could be worth a try

Hi

I have uninstalled InCD but left Nero and now I have no option to format the disk and the erase disk doesnt work either!

Rob

You should be able to erase with Nero’s CD-DVD Speed which is part of the toolkit.

Also IMGburn will erase rw disks when some wont & its free. Just erased a stack of dvdrw’s today. Its all I use.

OK, now things are getting confusing!
I uninstalled Nero and InCD and reinstalled just in case.

No matter how I go to format a DVD I get one or all of the following messages:
Invalid command
could not perform start of disc at once
formatting disc failed

I can format a disc on my other machine (Also running Nero) and then put it in the new machine and burn data to it BUT:
When the disk is formatted and blank if I look at its properties it shows 0mb used 4490mb free. However, when I burned some data to it and looked again it showed: 37mb used 0mb free!

Can anyone help please! could it be the drive? Is Nero a totyal pain or is it me? Can anyone suggest other good quality easier to use free DVD burning software?

Thanks in advance!
Rob

First uninstall Nero, then [B]run the nero registry cleaner patch[/B].
Then reboot and install again, an updated Nero version.

OK, Where can I get “Nero registry cleaner patch”

For Nero 6 it’s here , for Nero 7 it’s here .