Problems burning some DVD±RW media in Sony DW-U18A @ Lite-On SOHW-832S VS0M

Hi guys,

Not sure if this is the right tread but here it goes, having a problem with Nero 7.
System specs:
2.0 GHz
512MB ram
NVIDIA video card
Windows XP SP2
Nero 7.5.7.0 (Newest I think)
Sony DW-U18A DVD+/-RW which I have tried many different firmware versions. Right now I have upgraded it to a Lite-On SHOW-832S VS0M.

My problem is this, Nero works fine with CD’s, DVD-R, DVD+R’s as does DVD Decrypter, but when I try to burn a DVD+/-RW that has to be burnt at 4X or 8X it wont burn at the drives 4X speed. It tries to burn at 2.4X. The drive specs say it will do 4X RW but Nero doesn’t even see that.

Is there something I am missing? Can I force Nero to burn at 4X while doing RW’s? The max right now that I can do throw Nero is 2.4X.

James

Hi guys,

Not sure if this is the right tread but here it goes, having a problem with Nero 7.
System specs:
2.0 GHz
512MB ram
NVIDIA video card
Windows XP SP2
Nero 7.5.7.0 (Newest I think)
Sony DW-U18A DVD+/-RW which I have tried many different firmware versions. Right now I have upgraded it to a Lite-On SHOW-832S VS0M.

My problem is this, Nero works fine with CD’s, DVD-R, DVD+R’s as does DVD Decrypter, but when I try to burn a DVD+/-RW that has to be burnt at 4X or 8X it wont burn at the drives 4X speed. It tries to burn at 2.4X. The drive specs say it will do 4X RW but Nero doesn’t even see that.

Is there something I am missing? Can I force Nero to burn at 4X while doing RW’s? The max right now that I can do throw Nero is 2.4X.

James

James, your drive is too old to properly support newer DVD media, so it tries to burn them at a default speed instead. Which DVD+/-RW media are you trying to burn? It would help if you tell us the media code of those discs, because then it’s possible to see if it’s supported by firmware.

I’m thinking that perhaps your post and replies belong in a separate thread, so I might decide to do that.

I am using RITEK 008 00 (Memorex 4X and 8X) I think its DVD+RW could be -RW

I thought my drive supports 4x RW though. Nero doesnt see the speed at all in the recorder properties area

Hi,

it seems, as if the media you are using are not supported by your drive’s firmware. Just get DVD Identifier or use Nero CD/DVD Speed (Disc Info tab) to check, what speeds are possible with your drive and your media.
If you are indeed limited to 2,4x, then you can’t do anything about that.

Michael

Its weird that Nero doesnt see the speed though. And it burns the other media DVD-r and DVD+R at the max speed.

Scratching head?

RITEK 008 is 8x rated DVD+RW media, and I very much doubt you can get it to burn properly in your drive regardless of firmware.

I suggest you get some decent and widely compatible 4x rated DVD+RW media such as Verbatim.

Anyone want some Ritek 008 DVD RW’s ha ha

Thank you for the info…it is making sense now why I am having problems recording on RW’s

Wonder if the DL feature works? Should I even try?

Hi,

Nothing weird, and no reason for scratching head :bigsmile:
It is rather simple:
The firmware of a CD or DVD burner contains a table of supported media. This table basically consists of the MID (Media ID) and the corresponding speeds, that particular MID can be written.
In addition, there are default speeds for unknown discs. These speeds are rather low, and quality is often bad.

The MID of a disc can be read with both tools I mentioned in my previous post. They are also able to retrieve the information about supported write speeds.

Sample output from DVD Identifier:

** INFO : Drive = SONY DVD RW DW-G120A - [FW MYS6] - [USB]
** INFO : Write Capabilities = DVD+R DVD+R-DL DVD+RW
** INFO : Write Capabilities = DVD-R DVD-R-DL DVD-RW DVD-RAM
** INFO : Disc = [DVD+R:YUDEN000-T03-000]
** INFO : Reference Speed : 1x DVD = 1385 kBps
** INFO : An Writeable Disc Is Recommended For Accurate Results
** INFO : Write Speeds (Supported By This Drive On This Disc) Listed Below

** INFO : GET PERFORMANCE Write Speed Descriptor(s)
Descriptor #1 = 22160 kBps (16.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #2 = 16620 kBps (12.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #3 = 11080 kBps ( 8.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]
Descriptor #4 =  8310 kBps ( 6.00x) - [CLV/Non-Pure CAV]

Michael

I have attached my resutles from CD-DVD Speed Test

He is the results from speed tests.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=112290

alwaysbgreat, I’ve merged your posts from the LiteOn forum into this thread. Crossposting (posting the same thing twice) is against our rules, as it just creates more work for our members who might post the same answer in the different threads, as you can see here. Please read the forum rules before posting further.