Problems burning (Nec 3520A)

vbimport

Hello everyone!

This is my first post here on this excellent forum, and most probably not my last. I’m a total newbie when it comes to DVD burning, so please have patience with me :). Now to my problem:

I recently bought myself a NEC 3520A DVD recorder to backup some HDTV material, but unfortunately I am having some problems with it. I use Nero 6 as burning software, and when burning it doesn’t show any sign of problem (using UDF). However when using DVDinfo to verify the burned DVDs I get a lot of errors, and when trying to play the HDTV material I get a lot of hang-ups (more often at the end).

I have updated the firmware (Liggy/Dee) and tried to burn the same file 3 times with the same faulty results (in different places tough). This specific file is no larger than 3.2Gb. The media I use is Bulkpaq Printable, DVD Identifier shows the following:

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:MCC-003-000]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [Not Available]
Manufacturer Name : [Mitsubishi Chemical Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [MCC]
Media Type ID : [003]
Product Revision : [Not Specified]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4,482.6MB = 4.38GB (4.70GB)]
Recording Speeds : [1x , 2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x]

I had actually been reading on this forum (and others) before ordering the media, but it’s such a jungle out there that I finally decided to buy these Bulkpaqs due the fact that many recommended MCC-003. So basically, could my problem be media related? If not, how do I start trouble shooting?

Thank you in advance!

Kindest regards,
Patrick J.

I bet it is because the media is printable. With the NEC-3500A I’ve tried the following inkjet printable media:

MCC003 (Verbatim branded made in Taiwan)
Optodisc 4x (Acro-circle branded)
TDK TTG02 (Ridisk branded)
Tayio Yuden DVD-R (Sony Branded)
Sony 08D1 (Sony branded)
Ridisc CD-printable media

The Sony 08D1 burns excellent. All others have the same problem with lots of errors at the end of the media. So many errors, that medias might be ever unreadable. The Optodisk is also tried with a Pioneed 108D and has similar burning quality at the end of the disk, so I don’t think it is a recorder issue. Another thing I noticed (but not sure if really true) is that the more “glatt” the printable surface is, the worse the recording quality.

From 8x DVD+R media, I rate Ricoh JPN R02 and TDK 002 as the best. Never liked the MCC003, personally.

your problem is the bulkpaq (bulkcrap) .it is one of the worst media that you can buy , the dye is a Mitsubishi Chemical Corp dye , the media is not made by Mitsubishi Chemical Corp if you want good media for a nec drive use Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden if you can get it , over 300 burns with both of those and not a bad burn

Get the real Verbatim, or better yet, 8X DVD+R Made in Japan Fuji media at Best Buy.

Thank you for the replies guys! I’ll definitely try some other media, any suggestions on where to find good prices in Europe (or US if they ship overseas)?

Just realized I’m not 100% sure what to look for. Is the dye what determines the quality of the media or does it also vary between brands? For instance I found these RiDisc for a good price, will they work Ok on a 3520A?

http://www.nierle4.com/s01.php?sid=PG001007121728684335176684335176&cur=eur&sp=fr&ag=1&pp=aa&bnr=2415

Media code/Mfr ID RICOHJPNR01
Media type DVD+R
Media Id Code Speed 4.0x 5540KBs
Current Drive Speed 4.0x 5540KBs
Write Rotation Control CLV
Linear Density 0.267um/bit

Patrick