Problems burning files to DVD drive in Windows 7

vbimport

After upgrading my Toshiba laptop from Vista to Windows 7, I can copy files onto the hard drive from the D drive, but I cannot burn files to the D drive; I get a “Invalid MS_DOS function” screen. The driver for the D drive is updated and I have an administrator’s account. It’s been suggested to me that I need a master administrator’s account so that I can write to the root directory. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[QUOTE=debthompson;2560635]After upgrading my Toshiba laptop from Vista to Windows 7, I can copy files onto the hard drive from the D drive, but I cannot burn files to the D drive; I get a “Invalid MS_DOS function” screen. The driver for the D drive is updated and I have an administrator’s account. It’s been suggested to me that I need a master administrator’s account so that I can write to the root directory. Any help would be greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]

How many HDD do you have in the laptop? Cause if I remember you only have one HDD in the laptop? So where is your D drive at???

Yes, the machine only has one hard drive. The physical location of the D drive is on the right side of the laptop.

What software are you using to burn the disc?

Prior to the upgrade from Vista to Win 7, I wasn’t using any software other than the OS to write to the D drive; I simply put a disc in the drive, and when its “window” opened, I dragged the files I wanted to copy into that window. Virtually all the files I want to write to the D drive are Word files.

[QUOTE=debthompson;2560683]Yes, the machine only has one hard drive. The physical location of the D drive is on the right side of the laptop.[/QUOTE]

So this is a external HDD? It just sounds like short on hard ware specs for that other HDD and how you have it attached which make it hard to what it is doing. And did you have problems with vista before going to 7?

And this part is more confusing???

I simply put a disc in the drive
HDD disk aren’t Floppy or flash stick unless you have a USB HDD but you didn’t provide any information to know what that is???

Have you tried
My computer
> Right click on drive D:
> go to Properties
> Recording tab
> check all settings there.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2560867]So this is a external HDD? It just sounds like short on hard ware specs for that other HDD and how you have it attached which make it hard to what it is doing. And did you have problems with vista before going to 7?

And this part is more confusing???

HDD disk aren’t Floppy or flash stick unless you have a USB HDD but you didn’t provide any information to know what that is???[/QUOTE]

No, the hard drive and the D drive arevinternal; they came installed in the laptop. As I mentioned, I can transfer files onto the hard drive from a disc inserted in the D drive; I just can’t write files to the D drive.

Thanks. All appropriate boxes are checked in the Properties>Recording tab.
It’s been suggested to me that while my user account is the “administrator” account, I need to assign my user account master administrator rights to correct this problem. Would you know anything about this?

[QUOTE=debthompson;2560871]No, the hard drive and the D drive arevinternal; they came installed in the laptop. As I mentioned, I can transfer files onto the hard drive from a disc inserted in the D drive; I just can’t write files to the D drive.[/QUOTE]

So that means it was partitioned into two drives so your C: and D: are one physical drive but has two partitons. And if that is true you shouldn’t need to change any permissions cause your admin or login as admin. So I think this is more a O/S problem when you upgraded from vista to 7 something didn’t transfer correctly.

I think I have muddied the waters by referring to the drive as the D drive, which is how it is identified on the computer. I am referring to the DVD-RW drive as noted in the title of this thread. I can’t write/burn files to the DVD drive.

Try a different burning app like Imgburn, http://www.imgburn.com/. What type of files are you trying to burn?

I’m mostly burning Word files. I know there are other burning apps available, but I’d really like to understand why, after upgrading from Vista to Win 7, this normally simple operation is no longer possible for me to perform.

[QUOTE=debthompson;2560894]I think I have muddied the waters by referring to the drive as the D drive, which is how it is identified on the computer. I am referring to the DVD-RW drive as noted in the title of this thread. I can’t write/burn files to the DVD drive.[/QUOTE]

Ok that sounds a little less confusing… That sounds more like a O/S issue if you can’t use windows to burn to the cd/dvd itself. Have you tried to burn anything else besides word files?? Another way to go is to get a flash stick and copy your world files onto that it’s less work and faster and you can delete and remove. So what version of windows did you upgrade to and what version of vista previously did you have??

I’ve tried a variety of different file types; when I drag them to the DVD-RW window I get an “Invalid MS-DOS function” message.
I have no idea what version of Vista was on the machine; I purchased it in 2007 with Vista installed. I upgraded to a 32-bit version of Win 7 about a month ago.
I have a flash stick that works fine; it’s just really irritating not to be able to use the DVD drive when it functioned perfectly before the upgrade.

Use a proper burning app, forget that lazy drag and drop method, more because of it uses packet writing ormultisession technologies, both are well known to be buggy and a pain in the a$$.

Download imgburn, use it, be happy.

[QUOTE=debthompson;2560916]I’ve tried a variety of different file types; when I drag them to the DVD-RW window I get an “Invalid MS-DOS function” message. [/QUOTE]

Just for kicks try formatting the disk first. Does the same error occur when not using RW disks?

[QUOTE=debthompson;2560916]I’ve tried a variety of different file types; when I drag them to the DVD-RW window I get an “Invalid MS-DOS function” message.
I have no idea what version of Vista was on the machine; I purchased it in 2007 with Vista installed. I upgraded to a 32-bit version of Win 7 about a month ago.
I have a flash stick that works fine; it’s just really irritating not to be able to use the DVD drive when it functioned perfectly before the upgrade.[/QUOTE]

I think the DVD-RW might be the cause of the problem…but I never used the drag and drop feature much in 7 yet but past XP pro SP3 drag and drop worked when I used it. But I found a link you might want to give a read.

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=0&uid=swg21266443