Problems burning DVD

:a

My Nero Won’t let me burn 4.6gb in my 4.7 DVD.I think is all due to my status bar that is set to 4.5.How can I fix that.THX

You can only burn a max of 4.37GB of data onto a DVD-recordable.

4.7 billion bits is not 4.7 ‘real’ Gigabytes :wink:

Thanks for the answer!

Is there a place where I can find More info about this?

Sure. Google a bit.

8 bits > 1 Byte
1024 Bytes > 1 Megabyte
1024 Megabytes > 1 Gigabyte and so to
Terabyte
Petabyte
Exabyte
Zettabyte
Yottabyte

Megabits / Gigabits are different. Since there is no Byte equivalent, bit amounts are an eighth of their Byte counterpart.

ie Ethernet 100 Megabit per second (Mb/s) connection = 12.5 Megabytes/s (MB/s)

1 Kb = 128 Bytes
1 Mb = 128 KB
1 Gb = 128 MB
1 Tb = 128 GB

-bits are a data stream measurement. A CAT5e Ethernet Gigabit connection is theoretically capable of 125MB/s but is generally about 40% efficient on an unmanaged network, or a max of 50MB/s. My gigabit connection achieves 35-37 MB/s most days.

All the above is in 1024 lots. Disk and Disc space is in tens.

DVD-recordables: Divide 4.7 billion (47 followed by eight zeros) by 1024, three times, and you’ll get 4.377, which is the real capacity of the disc.

Similarly, take a “120” GB hard-drive. That’s 120 and ten zeros for 120 billion bits. Divide that by 1024, three times, and you get 111.759 real Gigabytes. It’s got nothing to do with formatting or any other nonsense. There’s space for 111 GB of user data including NTFS and SCSI overheads :slight_smile:

After this explanantion you don’t need to Google anymore! :wink:

Thanks for this lesson

:smiley:

-bits are a data stream measurement. A CAT5e Ethernet Gigabit connection is theoretically capable of 125MB/s but is generally about 40% efficient on an unmanaged network, or a max of 50MB/s. My gigabit connection achieves 35-37 MB/s most days.

Just like to add:
If your ethernet is on PCI buss, you are limited to 33MB/s.!
And, yes I know that Intel 865, 875 and other board mounted ethernet can work up to 133MB/s (266MB/s, theoreticly).