Problems burning CDs... Out of the blue too!

Hello guys!

My name is Hiyoko and I’m a total newbie in this forum. I signed up cause I really need some help solving a problem that popped up this weekend. :confused:

I have an “old” computer that I use mostly to download anime from bittorrent and to burn those downloaded episodes to CDs. It is not a brand computer, but ‘armed’ by a private technician. We bought it in Dec. 2001 and it’s still up and running. I don’t know much about technical stuff (I only use computers as a normal user, I’m not an expert or technician… ), but I know it was a hard drive of 40 GBs, most of it’s all used up with installed programs, downloaded images, games and programs and a lot of things. The only thing we’ve ever done to it, is to change from Windows 98 to Windows XP about 3 or 4 years ago. From time to time, I defragment the hard drive but, lately, it stops in the middle and says “it can’t complete the defragmentation”, who knows why. ¬¬

In any case… This computer has a DVD reader drive and a CD-RW drive. Both are LG and they both came with the computer when we bought it. So far, they both have worked perfectly well. But, yesterday, I turned the computer on to burn CDs (a lot of stuff had finished downloading and I needed to burn them so I could put more to download) and I did the usual:

• Put a blank CD in the CD-RW drive.
  • Open Nero Burning Room.
  • Choose the proper option to burn a CD with video files.
  • Pick the files.
  • Press “Burn the current selection” and wait until it finishes.

Everything was fine during the simulation, so I stopped looking and went to do something else. Then, I checked back and the CD burning process had stopped in the middle, right when it started the actual “burning” of the files, showing an error message. That had happened only once before and it all got fixed when I rebooted the computer. So I closed everything, rebooted and tried again. Same thing: error, CD not burned. So I tried using a different CD cause maybe that one was screwed after the first attempt. Nothing. So, since I know computers have issues and a mood, I turned it off and let it be. I decided I’d let it rest and try again later. :doh:

Later, I tried and it burned 1 CD properly. When I tried burning a 2nd one, the same error (I saved a log from Nero, just in case, even though I don’t understand a thing of it ¬¬). Rebooting didn’t work, it didn’t burn another CD again. So I started looking up for info in the internet and found some forums where they said that the type of error I was getting sometimes had to do only with the Nero Burning Room version you were using. So I uninstalled the Nero I had, downloaded CDBurnerXP Pro 3" (the program I use to burn CDs in my laptop) and tried again. After managing to actually run CDBurnerXP Pro (I had to download a thing called .NET framework for it to run… o.o), it was too late so I went to bed and decided to let the computer rest until today. :rolleyes:

Today, I’ve been trying the whole afternoon and part of the night to burn CDs. After infinte reboots, I’ve been able to burn 2 CDs, out of the like… 15 attempts. Almost everytime, the same error appears. So I think it’s not related to Nero (cause I’m not using Nero anymore ) or anything. I checked some more forums and they said sometimes that kind of problem meant the “ASPI layer” was acting weird. They adviced to download aspi_471a2.exe from Adaptec’s website and to try installing those things. Of course, the normal installation procedure didn’t work for me so I manually copied the ASPI32.SYS and the WNASPI32.DLL to the system32 folder, as the read me file said the INSTALL.BAT thing would do… Rebooted and tried again and nothing. Same stupid error. :a

So here I am. I don’t know what else to do. I don’t know if this may mean the CD-RW drive is broken, if it’s a driver the one that’s broken… All I know is I need to burn CDs cause I’m short on hard drive room and I can’t cause my CD-RW drive is acting up. ¬¬

I know that, even with all this blah blah you can’t simply imagine what’s wrong so here are some things:

The error message I got 1000 times… :frowning:

Log of one of the many times Nero Burning Room sent me an error message before I uninstalled it :a

What I think is the model of CD-RW drive I have… :confused:

I don’t know if you need anything else. :stuck_out_tongue: If you do, let me know what or how to get it (keep in mind I don’t know much about computers…) and I’ll try to get it.

I sincerly hope someone can help me cause I’m truly going nuts. :sad:

Thank you very much, in advance, for reading my post and for your help.

Best regards,
Hiyoko :rolleyes:

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Bit of a mysterious one, this!

To address the drefrag thing for a moment - I believe defrag will have problems if you have something like less than 15% free disk space.

Also another thing I spotted in your log (besides your Nero version being terribly old), is that you have the CD-RW on the same IDE cable as your hard drive.

Not good. I’d put it on the same cable as the DVD-ROM drive (with the CD-RW at the end of the cable, jumper set to Master, and the DVD-ROM drive on the middle connector, jumpered as Slave).

Fopefully other members will chime in with more suggestions. :wink:

[QUOTE=Arachne;1921698]Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Bit of a mysterious one, this!

To address the drefrag thing for a moment - I believe defrag will have problems if you have something like less than 15% free disk space.

Also another thing I spotted in your log (besides your Nero version being terribly old), is that you have the CD-RW on the same IDE cable as your hard drive.

Not good. I’d put it on the same cable as the DVD-ROM drive (with the CD-RW at the end of the cable, jumper set to Master, and the DVD-ROM drive on the middle connector, jumpered as Slave).

Fopefully other members will chime in with more suggestions. ;)[/QUOTE]

Hello, Arachne

Thank you very much for your reply. Unfortunately, I have no idea of what all of that means! :sad: The computer was build that way and it’s been that way since 2001. :rolleyes: The CD-RW drive and the DVD-ROM drive are both ‘internal’ and they were installed when we bought the thing, so I have no idea how they are connected or to what. I’ve never ever opened a computer or seen one’s inside so I have no idea how to change whatever there is to change… :confused: I sincerly appreciate the suggestion, but I’m afraid there isn’t much I can do to change the current state of them, without calling a technician or something… And I don’t even know any technicians. :frowning:

As for the Nero version… Yeah. It was veeeeeery old cause I downloaded it from bittorrent. I can’t afford that kinda programs in their original versions and someone recommended me to use Nero instead of any other and sent me a bittorrent link to it. :o I downloaded it, installed it and used it until now. :rolleyes: That’s why now that I uninstalled it, I downloaded a freeware program. :rolleyes: But that’s why it was so old. :o

Anyway… Thank you very much again for sharing your knowledge with me. I’m sorry I’m too ignorant to take advantage of it. :sad:

If you have any other suggestions, I’m all ears. :o

Thank you!

PS: Thank you for the warm welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

Maybe the drive had its time…

[QUOTE=chef;1921885]Maybe the drive had its time…[/QUOTE]

:eek:

That would be… devastating! :sad:

I would recommend you delete Ner0 properly with this,

just choose the correct version to delete…
Then use your CDBurnerXP Pro,or Burrrn, DeepBurner, just a few to try,before you replace the drive…good luck!..

[QUOTE=t0nee1;1922490]I would recommend you delete Ner0 properly with this,

just choose the correct version to delete…
Then use your CDBurnerXP Pro,or Burrrn, DeepBurner, just a few to try,before you replace the drive…good luck!..[/QUOTE]

Alright, thank you very much for the suggestion. I’ll try it as soon as I can. :slight_smile: Thank you for taking the time to try and help me. :bow:

Best regards~

From the log:

2:50:51	#22 MMC -1119 File Writer.cpp, Line 335
	[B]Track following error[/B]

http://www.smartcomputing.com/techsupport/detail.aspx?guid=&ErrorID=29591
Bad media or worn drive. Maybe also a power supply issue.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;1922906]From the log:

2:50:51	#22 MMC -1119 File Writer.cpp, Line 335
	[B]Track following error[/B]

http://www.smartcomputing.com/techsupport/detail.aspx?guid=&ErrorID=29591
Bad media or worn drive. Maybe also a power supply issue.

Michael[/QUOTE]

Wow, I see… The “different media” solution didn’t work… And I still have tried the other suggestions. Maybe if I use a lens cleaner it will work again… or maybe I’ll simply have to find a technician :sad:

In any case, thank you very much for taking the time to read and post. :bow:

I’ll let you guys know of the development of my super problem. :rolleyes: