Problems burning BD-RE DL

vbimport

Hi!
I have some problems burning BD-RE DL’s and cant really figure out what the problem is. My main burner is a Pioneer BDR-S09 and i also tested a Samsung SE-506 and also a different one in a Sony Vaio Laptop.
I tried using Verbatim BD-RE DL’s and could only burn 4 or 5 times until the disc produced verification errors in nero or cdburnerxp.
I use Windows 7 64bit and also updated the Pioneer firmware to the latest one. I did some tests with Nero Discspeed and here are some results:

Verbatim BD-RE DL burned one time (2x Speed):

Verbatim BD-RE DL burned two times (2x Speed):

Verbatim BD-RE DL burned three times (2x Speed):

Verbatim BD-R DL (4x Speed):

Original Bluray:

The 2nd layer seems to be a part of the problem.
I killed about 7 Verbatim BD-RE’s already and now bought two Sony BD-RE DL’s. I only burned one time now and the quality looks good but my Sony Bluray Player already had problems playing that disc properly. Maybe someone can tell me what i am doing wrong or what normal results are for Nero Discspeed.

This isn’t exactly what you want to hear, but maybe BD-RE just don’t survive that many write cycles…

Do you know if either piece of software has enabled BD-R defect management? Nero might have the option in its advanced options available at the same time you select the write speed. I’m not sure if CDBurnerXP has the option. A decent way to “check” is to figure out if the discs are being written at 2x or if they are being written at around 1.1x; the slower speed has defect management enabled, the faster speed does not. If the software does not tell you the speed in real-time, you can just estimate based on the time taken to write a disc.

Also also, can you use the SE-506 to check whether it agrees/disagrees with the scan done by the HP/LiteOn drive?

Do you know if either piece of software has enabled BD-R defect management?

I dont see such an option in nero or cdburnerxp. But they are usually burned at 2x speed and nero shows the speed in realtime.

can you use the SE-506 to check whether it agrees/disagrees with the scan done by the HP/LiteOn drive?

I tried the samsung but it does not support that. None of my bluray burners supports that. only the bluray reader in my hp touchsmart.

The SE-506 drives support it, but Samsung drives are by default blocked in CD-DVD Speed/DiscSpeed. There’s a way to disable that in the Windows Registry, but for now I suggest using OptiDriveControl (the effective replacement for DiscSpeed) for a second opinion. ODC is not free, but has a trial which should be adequate for purposes here. I would try it both with the Samsung and with the HP/LiteOn.

As for the BD-R defect management: In a burning tool called ImgBurn, I know the option exists. Are you willing to try it to see if it makes any difference? It is, as its name suggests, a tool to burn disc images, but is also kind of a power user’s version of Nero specifically for writing to/reading from DVD/CD/BD and disc image.

I downloaded ODC and tested the verbatim and sony discs with ODC and with Nerodiscspeed. Here are the results:

Nero Discspeed verbatim:

OptiDriveControl verbatim:

Nero Discspeed sony:

OptiDriveControl sony:

I cant really see that much of a difference there and think they test mostly the same way.
I downloaded Imgburn but dont see the option “defect management”.

You’d need to format the disc with spare areas enabled. It’s doing that which enables the drive’s built in defect management when the disc is inserted.

In Nero the option is available via Recorder menu -> Choose Recorder -> Options button -> Defect management checkbox (standard should be enabled?). Note that this will reduce the available space.

In Nero the option is available via Recorder menu -> Choose Recorder -> Options button -> Defect management checkbox (standard should be enabled?).

But it says that its only for blank discs and it was disabled by default.

So, for the ImgBurn route, I’m going to reference the first post here: http://www.sevenforums.com/software/198344-imgburn-formatting-new-bd-re-disks-inviting-problems.html

And say, while you are looking at those settings, make sure the option “DVD-RAM/BD-RE Fastwrite” is not checked and, just in case, also make sure the option “BD-R Verify Not Required” is not checked. Then do a full format of the BD-RE.

For the Nero route, you may still have to do a full reformat so you have the spare areas, and see if you can find the setting Oinker mentioned before the next burn.

This seems all very strange to me. If i really have to change so many settings and test again and again to find a good way to burn a BD-RE more than 4 times then i think it is better to give up on that. But other people should have the same problems since the default settings are not optimized in the software as it looks. Maybe nobody is burning on BD-RE anymore. Maybe someone here still uses BD-RE DL and can show some scans after burning a few times on the disc to compare it to my results.

I suppose I should ask if you’ve done a full erase on any of the discs, or have you done quick erases?

In my experience all re-writables, whether cdrw, dvdrw or bd-re need to have a full erase after 4 or 5 burns to continue to produce decent results.

Even then, they usually deteriorate after about 5 full erasures and eventually become useless.

I will try full erase the next time i burn something. Thanks for the suggestions :slight_smile:

I tried a full erase now and here are the results:

Verbatim BD-RE DL before the erase:

Verbatim BD-RE DL after the erase and burned same data again on it:

Guess this also did not help.