Problems burning backups of DVDs

I recently purchased a HP DVD 640i verson C. I also purchased DVDPlatinum.

Initialy I was able to burn some backup copies of some movies I purchased. As I see recommended, I updated the firmware for the DVD 640i. I am getting very erratic success burning copies now. Using DVDGold I get to the prompt to Insert a disk for a burn but the drive does not see the disk. I have tried various disks. Memorex DVD +R 8x and 16x (I have not heard good things about these but…), Imation, and recently (when I enable the double layer burning function in DVDGold) Verbatim DVD +R DL no success. I even copied directly to the hard drive then tried burning from there with DVDGold. Same problem

I read on this site about disabling the XP burning function. could this be part of the problem?

Any problems with the 640i ? I believe that I read somewhere that BenQ makes this drive for HP. Is that correct?

Windows XP PRO version 2
AMD Athlon 64 3000
Winfast NF4UK8AA motherboard
NVIDIA GeForce PCX 5750
Memory 1 GB
DVDPlatnum vers 2.9.6.0

I am a Newbie
any help much appreciated

Get rid of DVD Platinum for starters, hate to say it but there are better programs that also happen to be free.

For newer movies with advanced encryption/protection, rip the disc using something such as DVDFab Decrypter, or use a combination of DVD Shrink or DVD Decrypter in conjunction with DVD43 Free or AnyDVD. Burn the discs as .ISO images with ImgBurn. The only program that I listed that is not free is AnyDVD, it is a nice application but there are free alternatives, although perhaps not quite as nice or convenient.

With most discs, a combination of DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter are all that you need. For some of the newer discs you’ll need an additional program, take your pick.

If you still encounter problems using the applications I suggested, post back.