Problems burning AVI files with Nero6

vbimport

I am new here and I can classify myself as a newbie, although I’ve managed to learn and successfully produce music CDs and other interesting things with my PC. However, despite my many efforts and having spent money on various software prog.s, I still find difficult or impossible to burn AVI files with Nero6.

When I am successful, the quality is rather poor.

The music (Opera) files are downloaded from a group through Rapidshare, all very legitimate, usually they come in AVI format and need to be joined by HJ-Split. So far so good. the problems occur when I try to burn them using Nero6.

My system: Microsoft Windows XP - Home Edition Vers. 2002 - Serv. Pack 2
Intel® Pentium® M processor 1.73GHz, 512MB of RAM.

Am I doing something wrong when I download the files, or is my system
not adequate to burn AVI files?
I am wandering what can be wrong for the following reason: few days ago, a friend of mine produced a perfect DVD using the same files that
I had tried to burn successfully several times.

I’d be very grateful if some of you could explain what may be wrong.

By the way, I have tried Nero 7 in the past but that poved to be even more difficult.

Many thanks in advance.

E

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Most of times these problems are due to the wrong disc type selected in nero. If you want burn the avi files without modification, then you must select “Data disc”, and not “video disc”. If you select video disc, nero try to convert the avi into a DVD video (i.e. .ifo, .bup and .vob files). This conversion requires a lot of CPU power and a lot of time.

If you plan to watch these avi in your standalone, and if your standalone is not able to read avi files, then this conversion is a must.

If your standalone is able to read avi files, then a plain data disc is sufficient.

Alternatively, you can use a different burning software, like the excellent (and free) ImgBurn. To create a data disc with ImgBurn is rather straightforward (see my signature for a simple guide)

Thanks for your advice. I’d like to watch DVDs on TV Video and possibly
keep Nero6 as a way of burning AVI video files. Any other suggestions please?

Many thanks.

E

I personally believe Nero is a poor choice for converting avi to dvd. Many people around here like a program called ConvertXtoDVD. It is not a free program though.

Two free ones I know of are FAVC and DVDFlick. They can take the avi files and produce a dvd ready to be burned by whichever program you prefer, though FAVC can be set up to use ImgBurn automatically at the end of the conversion process.

You’ll need to install Net 2.0 and AviSynth to use FAVC, but they are free to download and use also, and there are direct links to them at the FAVC homepage. http://favcfavc.googlepages.com/
FAVC comes with two free encoding programs. I prefer HC over Quenc. FAVC is a very simple program to use, and will allow you to make menus if you like, though they are not required.

DVDFlick is also set up for simplicity in use. It uses FFmpeg as the encoding engine. I don’t like it as much as FAVC, but then again, I have only tested it and not run it very often.

[QUOTE=eleonora66;2015438]
[B]The music (Opera) files[/B] are downloaded from a group through Rapidshare, [B]all very legitimate, usually they come in AVI format[/B] and need to be joined by HJ-Split. So far so good. the problems occur when I try to burn them using Nero6.

[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I doubt this can be true.
Music does never come in avi format!!

[quote=chef;2015883]Sorry, I doubt this can be true.
Music does never come in avi format!![/quote]

I am sorry, I meant Video files. frustration plays tricks sometimes!

My apologies.
E