Problems Buring Movies with Plextor 760

vbimport

I just picked up the Plextor 760A to replace my old NEC-1100. For some reason, when I try to burn backup movies, they refuse to play properly in either my standalone DVD player and my PC. They skip and the video is all garbled, I can’t figure out what the problem is.
Right now I’m using 8x Memorex DVD-Rs, which I have always used without problems, and I’m also using Nero to burn them.

Any one have any similar problems?

Memorex aint the best; which decrypter are you using? which backup software are you using?

I’m using DVDShrink and AnyDVD, when needed, to create the backups, a combination I’ve been using for quite sometime. I know its not a problem with these programs since if I play the DVD files in Media Player, the movie runs fine. Its also no a problem with Nero because I’ve also tried to create a PS2 backup with DVD Decrypter and that also did not work.
As for media, I’ve been using Memorex for years and never had a problem.
I’m thinking its a setting I’m missing someplace.

Memorex uses a wide variety of dyes (MID, or “media code”) for their media and even when you buy the same media type (say, 8X DVD-R) you can never be sure which one you’re going to get.

Check it out:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia.php?dvdmediasearch=memorex&dvdmediadvdridsearch=&type=1&size=All&dvdburnspeed=8&order=Name&hits=25&search=Search+or+List+Media

Six different kinds for 8X DVD-R! If you run Plextools or CDSpeed, you’ll see what the media code for the discs you bought is. I’m going to make a prediction and bet yours is either Ritek G05 or ProdiscF01 (if you’re actually using 8X, that is).

Sticking with a brand name that uses multiple dyes is no guarantee of anything; you really need to stick to a MID and not a brand name. It may just be that your NEC 1100 happened to have a particularly good strategy with the discs in question, but when it comes to Ritek G05 and ProdiscF01 most burners produce iffy results.

Also, if you run Sum-8 and Sum-1 scans in Plextools (or PXScan/PXView, but not CDSpeed), I bet the graphs come out looking fugly.

Wow, I think that some of that is a bit over my head (mostly the Plextools stuff).

You are correct, the MID of the Memorex DVD’s are Ritek, which I have heard in the past are low quailty DVDs. But since my previous burner was so picky about media, I assumed they would work as well with this new Plextor. Friends of mine who own older Plextor DVD burners use these Memorex as well, with positive results (but as you pointed out, that could be due to the fact there are 6 different types). I’ll try picking up some better media tomorrow.

Also, I tried burning at a slower speed but it had the same results, garbage discs.

Now, what are Sum-8 and Sum-1? I do not see them listed in PlexTools (I have Professional, not XL). And how do I know what a good and bad output graph looks like?

They vary. I’ve had some 8X DVD+R Ritek R03 from Memorex that produce terrific burns on my PX712 and BenQ 1640. And bought at Wal-Mart, no less! :slight_smile:

But since my previous burner was so picky about media, I assumed they would work as well with this new Plextor. Friends of mine who own older Plextor DVD burners use these Memorex as well, with positive results (but as you pointed out, that could be due to the fact there are 6 different types). I’ll try picking up some better media tomorrow.

The older Plextors have different chipsets and hardware inside them, and also have more mature firmware than the 760 currently has. As time passes and you install newer firmwares, you may find burning quality gets a lot better down the road. Apparently my PX712 was underwhelming until firmware 1.04 when the scans for a lot of media improved dramatically. Sometimes the combination of a burner’s burning hardware and the firmware produce great results on not-so-great media; might have been the case with your NEC. Generally speaking, my PX712 gets better results than my BenQ 1640 with lower quality media, although it’s no better with the good stuff.

Also, I tried burning at a slower speed but it had the same results, garbage discs.

That was true during the old CD days with the dreaded buffer underruns, but my experience has been that DVD media burns best at the speed listed on the packaging.

Now, what are Sum-8 and Sum-1? I do not see them listed in PlexTools (I have Professional, not XL). And how do I know what a good and bad output graph looks like?

In the yellow area on the left of the Plextools screen, you should see something called Qcheck PI/PO Test. If you click it, the graph on the right will appear and a drop-down selector for SUM-1 or SUM-8 (and others) will appear. Each one will take 28mins :doh: to run, but should provide a rough predictor as to how well the media might play in your DVD player. More exact interpretation information is provided in the FAQ at the top of this forum, but for now the higher the numbers on the graph, the poorer the recording is. If the SUM-8 numbers exceed 280 and the SUM-1 graph shows values above 4, there’s a possibility of getting corrupted playback on your DVD player.

Try it and let us know how it turned out.

PS. You can also look at the “Post your Plextor DVD quality scans here” thread (it’s sticky) at the top of the forum and see scans others have done, and how they feel about it. There’s a gazillion (conservative estimate) posts in there, though…

At the moment i’d avoid ritek, i’ve tested a few discs which the 760 doesn’t handle very well.

Also make sure your not overspeeding those disks. Manually set your burn speed in nero to 8x (do not use max). With the current version of Firmware for the 760 it does not handle Riteks very well. Try that next.

Also turn on bitsetting for dvd+r in plextools for your drive settings (default is unchecked). Buy dvd+R media next time you buy media, it seems to do better with that type than dvd-r for cheaper media.

I am sure as in all of thier firmwares that it will take several versions to get better burns with lower end media types.

OK, I just got home with a spindle of Sony 8x media and still no luck. I tried burning the same movie with nero at 8x and 4x and the results were the same, skipping / choppy audio and video.
So in total now, I’ve used 3 different types of media, Memorex 8x MID RITEKG05, Memorex 16x MID CMC MAG, and Sony 8x MID SONY08D1. With each brand, its the same problems.
So now I’ve really hit a wall :).
I will run those test now and post the results.

I ran the Sum-1 and Sum-8 tests. In the Sum-1 test, the graph never reached 0 and in the Sum-8 test, the graph averaged around 40, never over 60.

I think tomorrow, I’m going to give Plextor a call and see what I can do from there.

Thanks for all your help guys! I really appreciate it

Those values do not sound bad.

the 760’s [I]Advanced AS[/I] doesn’t help with notoriously crap MIDs? :confused:

It does. Example: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=1293636&postcount=53 Both my 712 and 716 do a lot worse than that, but then, why burn a crap MID in the first place?

And the graphs didn’t seem very erratic. They were very smooth with no large spikes at all.

I contacted Plextor today. They recommended that I put it on an ide controller by itself and check the cable.

Well I got it to work, kinda. I switched it to my secondary IDE channel and it burns fine now. The only issue now is that the discs do not seem to play in my set top dvd player, but they do play in my xbox and pc. That I can deal with.