Problems backing up "Twister"

I am currently using DVDFab Platinum version 4.0.0.5 Beta to back up my own legally purchased copy of the movie “Twister” starring Helen Hunt and Bill Paxton (Special Edition 1996). My computer’s operating system is Windows XP Professional SP2.

While most backups take around 15 to 30 minutes to complete, this disc takes anything up to 8 hours at a painfully slowwwwwww… copy rate of just under 1 MB/sec!!! :a

The freeware programme DVDShrink v3.2 successfully completes exactly the same task in 25 minutes 11 seconds, and no other DVDs seem to be affected by this problem when I am using this particular beta version of DVDFab Platinum 4.

Unchecking DTS appears to make no difference to the estimated copying time. :confused:

Any ideas as to what is going on here?

Any assistance either any of you or the author can offer me will be much appreciated.

reeman50 :bow:

reeman50
Twister" is an old movie had has been backup by many and so did I if you are having trouble with the backup I would lay odds on it being due to dirty or scratched disc
I would try and clean the disc the best you can and if you still have issues try using ISO Buster to extract to your HDD then rip from there also try resetting DMA if it still takes that long

Thanking you for your comments but… :frowning:

The DVD is not dirty or scratched and copies fine with DVDShrink in the same burner.

Note that there are no copy errors occurring as would be expected if the disc was damaged in some way (or if the DVD burner itself was on the way out), but it is simply that the copying process is so incredibly slow.

Of course I have been unwilling to wait the nearly 8 hours required to more fully test this out, but the DVDShrink copy is quite OK.

I have since copied three other more recent DVDs using the exact same drive and DVDFab Platinum appears to be having no similar problems with these.

None of my DVDs are in High Definition, so the postings concerning the very slow copying of such discs on this forum are not relevant to my situation.

New release movies copy at the normal speed of about 20 minutes for a full disc, and these have much more heavy duty copyright measures than used on “Twister” which as you say is a relatively old movie (but which I have only just purchased).

Thanks again, but it looks as though I will need to wait for somebody else to offer me some clues as to why this disc amongst all the other over 560 titles I have in my personal collection seems to be a special problem to DVDFab Platinum v4.0.0.5 Beta.

Your’s truly,

reeman50 :doh:

[QUOTE=reeman50;1921897]I am currently using DVDFab Platinum version 4.0.0.5 Beta to back up my own legally purchased copy of the movie “Twister” starring Helen Hunt and Bill Paxton (Special Edition 1996). My computer’s operating system is Windows XP Professional SP2.
[/QUOTE]

I own this movie also
How did you copy it? Full,Movie only
What region code have your disc?

Will try it . Let you know

Could just be a poor pressing when it was made, also try disabling pathplayer and read ahead cache and see how it goes.

Could just be a poor pressing when it was made, also try disabling pathplayer and read ahead cache and see how it goes.

I feel this is highly unlikely as again I ask you why doesn’t DVDShrink (a much older and now outdated programme) experience a similar problem? Pathplayer is disabled, but I am wary of disabling the read ahead cache. DVDShrink does not include a PathPlayer setting for me to be able to compare the two programmes in this way. I can only assume that Shrink does have it’s own perhaps less advanced form of read ahead cache to allow it to be able to copy at these sorts of speeds. Whatever read ahead cache it does possess, I have always left it enabled at all times (wouldn’t disabling the read ahead cache be expected to cause the copying process to take longer than it otherwise would have, not less?).

How did you copy it? Full,Movie only
What region code have your disc?

This is a very relevant question, as the first time when I tried it I chose to have a customised version with the menus preserved, and this was going to take the nearly 8 hours. When I selected instead to copy the full disc it was still far in excess of the average 20 minutes (over 2 hours at least). I never choose Movie Only, as I prefer to still have the menus.

The freeware DVDShrink did the full disk in 25 minutes 11 seconds and I burnt a test copy to a DVD-RW to see whether or not some copyright protection mechanism would prevent this, even if the HD copy was alright.

The movie itself was released in 1996, but the disc also contains bonus material which carries a copyright 2000 trademark. This continues to be the only DVD which ever done this with DVDFab since I purchased it, and if the no longer updated freeware programme can read the disc with no problems (including copy protection updates) why should DVDFab Platinum in it’s latest version take so long to accomplish the same task.

It is coded specifically for region 4, and I live in Australia.

Thanking you both for your feedback and advice, but so far I do not feel that this unusual copying behaviour involving only one particular DVD in my collection has been adequately explained.

At no time was there an error dialogue with either programme for me to post to this forum.

reeman50 :confused:

[quote=reeman50;1924092]why [B]should[/B] DVDFab Platinum in it’s latest version take so long to accomplish the same task.[/quote]have you waited to see if it is really going to take 2 hours. i often see where it starts slow but will increase in speed as the copy process progresses. if you have waited out the process and it really does take 2 hours, sorry for wasting your time.:frowning:

if you really feel that the dvd has something worth taking a look at by the programmers, read this.

troy

okay i have tested this movie with the latest beta 4.0.0.5

Disc info:

Info for drive [E:] (DVDFab Platinum 4.0.0.5 Beta)
Drive region: 2

Disc type: Video DVD
Disc region: 2, 4
Volume name: TWISTER
Video standard: PAL
Layer 0 size: 1959904 sectors (3827 MBytes)
Layer 1 size: 1959904 sectors (3827 MBytes)

CSS (Content Scramble System) protection is removed!
RC (Region Code) protection is removed!
RCE (Region Code Enhancement) protection is removed!
APS (Analog Protection System) protection is removed!
UOPs (User Operation Prohobitions) protection is removed!
Structure protection (ARccOS, RipGuard, etc.) is not found.
Fake vts protection is not found!
Bad sector protection is not found!
Invalid PGCs protection is not found.
Invalid CELLs protection is not found.
Invalid VOBUs protection is removed!

PathPlayer is disabled.

I did a full copy of the disc to harrdrive (Clone Mode)
Without any problems
Backup time: 15 min 26 sec

Here are the results

reeman50
As you can see from post #8 Chucky had no problem with the backup, like I said there may be something wrong with your Disc or maybe you need to defrag your system and/or do a reg cleanup

When I speak about a backup I am talking about copying the actual files to a hard disk folder as DVD 5 (compressed). As I use FAT32 (because I have a dual boot setup with Windows 98 SE) rather than NTFS), I am unable to backup to an ISO as it exceeds the file size limit set for FAT32.

I have not yet tried to allow it to run for the full 2 or 8 hours, but again why did DVDShrink do it in 25 minutes 11 seconds, at a fairly constant rate, right from the very beginning of the copying process?

I may however send the IFO files as suggested to Fengtao, to see what it is about the structure of this disc which makes it different from any other one in my collection. The disc is definitely not damaged or dirty, and plays fine on all our three DVD players plus on my PC.

Thanks guys. Will let you know when if anything transpires.

Cheers,

reeman50 :eek:

hey reeman50, sorry about your problem. can you disable the pathplayer, insert the twister dvd and post the disc info similar in --=CHUCKY=–'s last post? also what are your read settings? if you have ignore all read errors and there is a read error which dvdfab can not skip, it could be stuck just trying and trying over and over to skip the section. so i know that your other dvds copy to hard drive in 15 to 20 min but if can you select ask retry/ignore/abort, 1 retry time and skip 64 sectors. also just to rule it out please also uncheck read ahead cache. again just to rule this out can you select main movie.

if there is anything you think might be relevant that you are not tell, please let us know.

This is a very relevant question,…

I feel this is highly unlikely as again I ask you why doesn’t DVDShrink (a much older and now outdated programme) experience a similar problem? Pathplayer is disabled, but I am wary of disabling the read ahead cache.
could you just try.

My computer’s operating system is Windows XP Professional SP2.
then later you say

As I use FAT32 (because I have a dual boot setup with Windows 98 SE) rather than NTFS), I am unable to backup to an ISO as it exceeds the file size limit set for FAT32.

sorry for wasting your time :p. troy

Troy should in my opinion be awarded the door prize for his earlier suggestion:

have you waited to see if it is really going to take 2 hours. i often see where it starts slow but will increase in speed as the copy process progresses.

Although the programme originally reported that it would take nearly 8 hours to create the customised version with only the movie plus menus (with DTS), it took only 25 minutes and 4 seconds (making it slightly faster overall than copying the full disc with DVDShrink).

I still do not know why the first VOB file must be copied so slowly when compared to the rest of the files, and I have no idea why the effect is not so noticeable if you copy the full DVD.

I only know that my customised backup is working perfectly, and I thank you all sincerely for your time and efforts on my behalf.

Genuinely trying to help another person in need is never I believe wasting either their time or your’s. I can only hope that what I have learnt here from Troy will also in turn help someone else in return for the favour.

Thank you all again, from a very relieved reeman50 :clap::clap::clap:

…awarded the door prize…
thanks, ive sent you a pm with my bank deposit information. jk :stuck_out_tongue:

your welcome.