Problems after Burning with DVD Fab Express

Ok, I don’t know what has happened. I have been using DVDFab Express for about 2 months with absolutely no problems. Until, 3 weeks agos. I can burn any movie no problem. Now after it is burned, I try to play it in ever DVD player in my house (including my computer) and It burns the chapters out of order. I have tried everything I can think of to fix this problem. Also now my DVDshrink won’t work. I keep getting an error about an invalid VOB file or something like that. I even just went out today to buy a new burner because I thought it might be my old burner and I am having the same problem. I am using High quality and Low quality dvd’s with the same result. Can someone help me out here? :sad:

hi there - sorry about your trials w/fab, it can be very frustrating :doh: What version of fab express do you have? Also what make/model of burners to you have and what movie are you trying to back up? I know you said you’ve used both high and low quality dvds, what brand were they? Any new programs loaded b/t the time when your dvds burns [U]were[/U] working and when they [U]stopped [/U] working? Does anyone else use the computer who may have changed the settings or installed something w/o your knowledge? Try to have a good weekend :wink: I’ll be checking my email every few hours for a while - I’ll be sure to stop by and check this too.
Daemian

As daemian advised, we’ll need some specifics. As you added/changed burners, a burner issue per se, seems unlikely. In addition to the requested info above, I’m curious as to whether you’re using “main movie” or “complete disc” mode, I suspect the latter. The actual MID (media code) would be helpful as well.

The version of Fab is 2.9.7.9. I have a BenQ DVD burner and I just bought a brand new LG burner. The movies that I am trying to back up the last few days were: Annapolis, 16 blocks, Running Scared & Firewall. The dvd’s that I was using were: Memorex DVD-R & Retail Plus DVD-R (walmart Brand). No new programs were loaded and no one else uses this computer. I was trying to do “complete disk”… Now, when I back up a movie that I have already backed up from a couple of months ago, it burns fine. And I am not too sure what “maineman” means by MID or media code…thanx for trying to help me out. I appreciate it.

Mike

I see you have a BenQ, so did it come with Qsuite which is a test tool designed for their drives. If you do not have it you can down load it fron BenQ site. MID or media code is the identifies the manufactor who actually made the DVD as all are made by other companies and some brands use different ones.

for more info:

http://www.supermediastore.com/dvd-identifier.html

Mack

Hi again Mike.
MID (media identification or media code) tells us who manufactured the disc and what it actually is. It’s not foolproof, but it’s infinitely better than saying I have a memorex -R 4X…and no I’m not criticizing or picking on you, just trying to explain.
One way to obtain this info (and lots more), is to download and install Nero CD-DVD Speed (just click on the name to download). It’s a free and incredibly useful utitlty. Just put the disc in your drive and click “disc info” tab.

Ditch the memorex media…they’re crap, have multiple manufacturers, no quality control, totally unreliable. I know you had “some” good luck with them, trust me…you’ll have plenty of bad luck too.

Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim are quality media. If you need links for them, just ask.

For at least 6 months or so, we have seen problems with complete disc mode and certain titles (especially sony ARccOS). This seemingly is related to the actual compression in express mode and the newer copy protection with it’s disc structure issues. I’ve never seen the problems reproduced with main movie, a few users have reported this however, but few and far between…I think.

The more details you can provide, the more specific we can be with relevant advice.

Your burner(s) model and firmware will be help us a great deal. Nero CD-DVD Speed will also provide this info. Another route is to navigate to device manager below.

Hope this helps,

Tom

Sorry, I was in a hurry earlier and must have been typing when Mack was replying.
Just to follow-up, do you have both the Benq and LG installed or did you swap them?

I have both the BenQ and the LG installed. The Model number for both drives is: (LG) [B]HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4167B DL11[/B]
(BenQ) [B]BENQ DVD DD DW1620 B7P9[/B]

The Walmart brand DVD info is:
[B]
Nero CD-DVD Speed: Disc Info
Basic Information
Disc type: : DVD-R
Book Type : DVD-R
Manufacturer: : Verbatim
MID : MCC 03RG20
Write speeds: : 2 X - 4 X - 8 X - 8.0 X - 16 X - 16.0 X
Blank Capacity : 4.38 GB
: 4489 MB
: 4707321856 bytes
Extended Information
Layers : 1
Usage : General
Copyright protection : n/a
Recorder information
Disc Status : Empty
Raw Data
Pre-recorded Information in Lead-in (0Eh)
0000 - 01 40 C1 FD 9E D8 52 00 02 85 0D 0E 88 9A 80 00 - .@…R…
0010 - 03 4D 43 43 20 30 33 00 04 52 47 32 30 20 20 00 - .MCC.03…RG20…
0020 - 05 88 80 00 00 00 02 00 E0 D4 05 00 18 EE 90 7C - …|
0030 - 78 FB 90 7C FF FF FF FF 71 FB 90 7C 18 6A DD 77 - x…|…q…|.j.w
0040 - 51 6A DD 77 00 00 15 00 02 00 00 80 30 00 00 00 - Qj.w…0…
0050 - 18 00 00 00 30 00 00 00 18 D5 05 00 40 00 01 00 - …0…@…
0060 - 0B 00 00 00 20 D4 05 00 4E 00 4E 00 98 D5 05 00 - …N.N…[/B]

I didn’t have any more Memorex left to test.

Hopefully this will help a little.

Mike

I might have sent the wrong numbers…your image didn’t show up the first time. Hopefully I am sending you the right numbers.

(LG) [B]IDE\CDROMHL-DT-ST_DVDRAM_GSA-4167B____________DL11___\4332463138424245343838422020202020202020[/B]

(BenQ) [B]IDE\CDROMBENQ_DVD_DD_DW1620______________B7P9___\3939354231433235344334343136373434375053[/B]

i hope the are right

Mike

Looks like you have quality media. You may want to go to BenQ site Link below and check firmware. The have a tool to download to check it, and get Qsuite 1 as it will scan the DVD and show the possility of getting a good burn on that media a the speed you choose.

http://www.benq.us/ServiceAndSupport/

Mack

My firmware for my BenQ is B7P9 and for my LG it is DL11. I am not really sure what that means but that is what the tool told me.

Here’s an ok definition of firmware.

"Firmware is a software program or set of instructions programmed on a hardware device. It provides the necessary instructions for how the device communicates with the other computer hardware. But how can software be programmed onto hardware? Good question. Firmware is typically stored in the flash ROM of a hardware device. While ROM is “read-only memory,” flash ROM can be erased and rewritten because it is actually a type of flash memory.

Firmware can be thought of as “semi-permanent” since it remains the same unless it is updated by a firmware updater. You may need to update the firmware of certain devices, such as hard drives and video cards in order for them to work with a new operating system. CD and DVD drive manufacturers often make firmware updates available that allow the drives to read faster media. Sometimes manufacturers release firmware updates that simply make their devices work more efficiently.

You can usually find firmware updates by going to the “Support” or “Downloads” area of a manufacturer’s website. Keeping your firmware up-to-date is often not necessary, but it is still a good idea. Just make sure that once you start a firmware updater, you let the update finish, because most devices will not function if their firmware is not recognized."

The firmware for your Benq is severely outdated. Here are a couple links.
First one, read over firmware, how to actually update, the hazards, etc. You can ruin your drive if you screw-up, misflash, incomplete flash, etc. There is a ton of info here. When you flash your firmware…be precise and follow the instructions exactly.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=138436

The second site is Benq and the actual firmware…you can see B7P9 dates back to 2004.

http://support.benq.com/front/BenqMain.asp?MenuHead=128&ShowType=program&FileURL=service/driverlist.asp&Dataid=16041&downloadclass=Driver&product=3731&langu=null&ops=2756&GenMenu=&RootId=undefined.

You can find the same info re: your LG on the optical drive section here on cdf (just like the Benq).

I would also try ripping and burning in movie only mode as opposed to complete disc. Take a look at my post #6 for details re: this. You may want to try using +R (+RW, no coasters) and see what happens.

Also, I would follow Mack’s advice and download QSuite.