Problems 451s on Win2k w/ Nero & DVDXCopy

I bought the LDW-451s five days ago and haven’t been able to successfully burn even ONE DVD. Every attempt at burning a DVD (either regular Data or Video) results in Win2k Pro stack/core dumping with a system restart. I called LITEON tech support and they said it was software related. Here’s the rest of the info on my setup that’s relevant:

• AMD Athlon 900Mhz Processor, 256 MB RAM

• Windows 2000 Professional

• LiteON LDW-451s @ GSB6 firmware level
    –> connected to 2nd IDE Master
    –> connected with 80p IDE ribbon

• burns CD-Rs and CD-RWs fine
    –> this is why I’m confused!

• every attempt at burning DVD+RW results in
    system crash around 1 minute into burn process
    –> it usually cites some sort of call exception
    –> haven’t tried DVD+R yet (don’t want coasters)

• trying to use NERO 6.3.0.2

• trying to use DVD X Copy Platinum latest vers

• trying to burn DVD+RW at 4X
    –> also crashes at 2.4X

• 7 Gigs HD space free

I really don’t know what else to do. I’ve done numerous searches on various forums but not many people are having hard crashes with ZERO successes. If anyone has ANY ideas or can point me in the right direction, I’d be more than appreciative.

-mualan

Anyone have any ideas?

As a start:
Do a virus scan/ full scan disk/ degrag/ scan computer with LavaSoft Adaware to remove spyware.

Oh and post the exact error message if you can.

Thanks for the tip. I had already run ad-ware 6 multiple times on the highest settings, though.

Since my post, I installed the bundled software, “MySonic DVD”, and had my first successful DVD burn (DVD+RW) that played on my Panasonic S35, even though it was only a one minute clip. After this, I reinstalled both Nero 6.3.0.2 and DVD X Copy 3.0.2. For the first time, DVD X Copy finished burning a DVD… and rebooted Windows2000 as soon as it finished.

I’ve been able to burn 2-3 successful DVD+Rs, out of 20 or so attempts. On the attempts that fail, Windows simply restarts at a seemingly random point in the burn (no error message). I only see a stack/memory dump about 5% of the time now.

Anyway, it’s still frustrating because a 15% success rate is hardly anything to be happy about.

Does ANYONE out there have any similar problems with just random reboots in the middle of a Nero or DVD X Copy burn? Maybe there’s some minor setting that if I tweak will stabilize the whole thing … until then, I’ll keep looking.

Thanks,
mualan

Originally posted by mualan
[B]I bought the LDW-451s five days ago and haven’t been able to successfully burn even ONE DVD. Every attempt at burning a DVD (either regular Data or Video) results in Win2k Pro stack/core dumping with a system restart. I called LITEON tech support and they said it was software related. Here’s the rest of the info on my setup that’s relevant:

-[/B]

I am having the same problem … went back to my PC store and tried a new 451s and it did the same thing … Nero wont work Sonic starts to bun DVD’s … and then hangs after 1 %

Tried a Philips DVD burner in my machine and the same thing occurs …

What we are going to try today and what the computer tech thinks may be the problem is that windows may need to be reinsalled from scratch with the DVD drive installed in it from the begining.

So we are going to try that … othersie LITEON SUCK ! with their compatability issues

Let u know how I go

Originally posted by Empire
[B]Nero wont work Sonic starts to bun DVD’s … and then hangs after 1 %

Tried a Philips DVD burner in my machine and the same thing occurs …

… othersie LITEON SUCK ! with their compatability issues [/B]

Hmmm, how can you blame Lite-On if you had the same problem with Philips drive. :rolleyes:
Face the fact. It´s your system thats ‘messed up’, not the DVDRWs.

You have to format/erase the DVD+RW first. :slight_smile:
Use Nero or DVDInfo Pro

-Check if DMA is on. Use NeroInfoTool /configuration.
-Use 80 conductor 40pin IDE cable
-Check your ASPI layer. Search this forum for ‘ForceASPI’
-Unistall Nero. Use Nero Clean Tools to remove all old drivers and registry settings. http://www.nero.com/en/631938347293151.html
-Reinstall Nero.
-Disable Nero InCD
-Disconnect any USB devices
:smiley:

[My 411S works like charm here, on iNtEl system. Using Nero 5.5.10.54 and RecordNowMax/Stomp]

BTW, what´s the make and model of MB?

Originally posted by pinto2
-Disconnect any USB devices
:smiley:

I too am having a problem with Nero, but not a hard reboot. Nero would get to 99%, and then just freeze. I believe it is just before or right at the lead-out. I would have to reboot the computer to open the drive (it stays locked), to remove my coaster.
Just curious as to why you say to disconnect any USB devices? That would be my - Mouse, Keyboard, Palm sync, Scanner & Printer. Any further info on this? I would hate to have to disconnect those just to burn a DVD.
I have used other burning software with 100% success rate, but I am partial to Nero, and would like to get this working again.

Originally posted by GreyRider
I too am having a problem with Nero, but not a hard reboot. Nero would get to 99%, and then just freeze. I believe it is just before or right at the lead-out. I would have to reboot the computer to open the drive (it stays locked), to remove my coaster.
Just curious as to why you say to disconnect any USB devices? That would be my - Mouse, Keyboard, Palm sync, Scanner & Printer. Any further info on this? I would hate to have to disconnect those just to burn a DVD.
I have used other burning software with 100% success rate, but I am partial to Nero, and would like to get this working again.

He also forgot to add that you have to sacrifice a chicken, goat and human in that order to get the LITE ON to do anything besides crash a PC or create a load of coasters

:stuck_out_tongue:

I have the chicken and the human, any goats available. I would try most anything :bigsmile:

Re: disconnect USB
Hmmm, not the keyboard and mouse…

They have been reports of conflict of drivers on MBs with nVidia and VIA (-133A) Chipsets. Google this forum…

Use M$ default IDE-drivers in this case.

:slight_smile:

Originally posted by pinto2
[B]Re: disconnect USB

They have been reports of conflict of drivers on MBs with nVidia and VIA (-133A) Chipsets. Google this forum…

Use M$ default IDE-drivers in this case.

:slight_smile: [/B]

Well it seems as if I am totally out of luck then …

I have a VIA motherboard and NVIDIA gfx card.

But I am not going to resort to unplug my keyboard, mouse to burn a coaster … hmmmm

Originally posted by Empire
Well it seems as if I am totally out of luck then …
I have a VIA motherboard and NVIDIA gfx card.
But I am not going to resort to unplug my keyboard, mouse to burn a coaster … hmmmm

Your choise… :smiley:

BTW Empire, “nVidia gfx” is not a MB… smart

Mualan,
Your problem lies with the amount of Free space on
your Hard drive. 7GB is certainly not enough to burn DVD’S.

Ivanhoe…

The TRUTH is a LIE waiting to be told.

Originally posted by Ivanhoe
Mualan, Your problem lies with the amount of Free space on
your Hard drive. 7GB is certainly not enough to burn DVD’S.
Ivanhoe…

Wh00t?

Yesterday I backed-up a movie with DVDxCopyExpress, with less than 6Gb on one of my partitions. No problem. :bigsmile:

Thanks for the pointers everyone. I’ll try checking the APSI layer and using that Nero Clean Tools thing.

I’ll pretty much do everything I can before resorting to the reinstall Windows from scratch option. My workstation is used for a lot more than just burning DVDs, and everything was running in harmony before delving into this. (Completely different format, but burning CDs was easy and error free! I wish my introduction to DVDs was just as smooth.)

Yesterday night I had a string of successes, for no apparent reason… that is, I successfully burned a 4.7 GB data DVD-RW, a full video DVD in Nero on a DVD+R at 4X, and a small video on a DVD+RW at 4x. I thought the problems had somehow resolved themselves. I clicked DONE on Nero after the last burn and BOOM … another hard windows crash, this time the blue screen of death said something along these lines:

(0000x0x00>>bunch of register values I can’t remember<<00x0)
hard_crash_error

There is some hardware or software conflict. If you’ve recently installed new hardware, please remove it and see if the problem persists. If this is the first time you’ve seen this error screen, restart Windows in safe mode in order to debug any errors.

Beginning system dump…

It’s not word for word, but that was the general jist of it. Anyway, thanks again for the help, everyone. I’ll let you all know how everything goes.

mualan

• still optimistic on DVD burning stability
  • current coast count = 2; yay for ±RWs

P.S. Oh, and I cleared out an old harddrive and now have 12GB free for temp DVD files.

Just to clarify, I close out ALL applications and only let the burning program run during a burn.

Also, sorry for the typo, I wrote APSI instead of ASPI.

mualan

Originally posted by mualan
[B]Just to clarify, I close out ALL applications and only let the burning program run during a burn.

Also, sorry for the typo, I wrote APSI instead of ASPI.

mualan [/B]

Guys I solved all my problems with the burner last nite … check out the new thread I have started

I was having the same type problem w/ a Lite-on SHM-165H6S. It occurred right after I started trying to use DVDShrink 3.2. I had been using DVDxCopy Platinum and couldn’t copy a DVD, so I was trying DVDShrink and then it took me 2 weeks before I got the burner to work again.

I’d suggest uninstalling all of your burning software, whatever they may be. Then, if you have nero, use its general cleaner program available from the nero site/download tools- this will clean the nero keys from the registry. Also, if you have been using a registry cleaner, try to backup to a previous version before you installed the drive. Then try installing just one program to burn. Try that and see if you can burn with it. Bottom line- It may be a conflict b/w programs.

Also, download Lite-on’s SmartBurn tool. I use it everytime before I burn and haven’t had any problems. Make sure that hypertuning and smartburn are enabled.

Lastly, make sure you’ve got good media. Memorex are crap. Try something like Sony, Verbatim, TDK or Imation.

Good Luck!