Problem writing to disc using external drive BTC DRW1008UI

vbimport

Hi Everyone,

I’ve installed the above external drive and established that it can play DVDs, and read CD’s (I’ve installed software via this drive). Then came the test for writing to DVD. I inserted a Verbatim DVD-R disc (I’m led to believe these are of good quality) and the drive icon in windows explorer indicated DVD-R. So far so good, I thought naively, as this indicated the drive is aware of the disc format - got to be a good sign, surely! However, when trying to drag and drop files to this drive (it does support this function doesn’t it?), I receive the message, ‘please insert disc’!!! Thinking I’d got a bad disc I tried another, but got the same message. Am I missing something here?

I’ve searched high and low for a solution but to no avail, even though the FAQ page on the BTC Europe site refers to this problem, but surprisingly, it recommends consulting the dealer who sold the kit - are they kidding?

This is my first ‘stab’ at the DVD writing game and I’ve come to realise that it can be incredibly complex once things go wrong (which is why I’m here writing to you guys) and there’s a lot to learn. I’ve come across terms such as DMA (Direct Memory Access, right? Relevant only to playback?), and I believe there is software available that allows you to ascertain where the discs were manufactured - would I be right in thinking this makes finding compatible discs a bit of a lottery? Then we have the question of firmware. Does this have an impact on the ability to write to discs?

As you can see, I am a virtual ignoramus, so I would appreciate any advice or relevant knowledge you can throw my way. By the way, for what it’s worth I’m running Windows XP, have 512mb of memory, an enormous 120gig hard drive.

To cut short my ramblings, it will suffice to say - HELP!

First of all welcome @ cdfreaks,

there are some answers needed to solve the problem,

• have you installed any packet writing software like Nero INCD or Roxios DirektCD, this software is required to write data per drag and drop to DVD RW.
  • i think that only DVD+/-RW can be written per drag and drop, try a RW media.
  • have you tried to burn the disk using a burning sofware like Nero?

I’ve searched high and low for a solution but to no avail, even though the FAQ page on the BTC Europe site refers to this problem, but surprisingly, it recommends consulting the dealer who sold the kit - are they kidding?

i only made the best expierense with BTC Support. For me they have the one of best support from all manufacturers. If there is an unanswerd question contact the support per mail.

believe there is software available that allows you to ascertain where the discs were manufactured - would I be right in thinking this makes finding compatible discs a bit of a lottery? Then we have the question of firmware. Does this have an impact on the ability to write to discs?

the software you are searching for is DVD Identifier. you can find compatible medias in many onlinestores many of them also tells you the MID (Manufaturer ID) and yes updating the firmware can improve the writing performance and makes your drive compatible to more medias.

i hope some of your questions are answered. and cu in the forums.

Thanks Herbei,

Ah, what a klutz I am! I assumed that the drag and drop function would work freely in the Windows environment. Yes, it did come bundled with Nero so I’ll try it as soon as I get home from this damn office.

Herbie is a star! Cheers.

I had another look at the problem last night, right-clicked on the drive icon in explorer, selected ‘recording’, and it suggested I might want to enable writing to the drive :confused: - I would have expected this to be the default setting, after all this is primarily a ‘writer’. Anyway, it seems to have done the trick. My only defence for not noticing this in the first place is, I was very, very tired :o

My next trick is to install a USB2 pci card as I only have USB1 ports. Expect me back soon :bigsmile:

Cheers everyone.