Problem: WMP cannot recognize DVD when loaded as an .iso

This is more of a question than a problem. I’m using DVDFab Plat 4.0.1.2. I’ve used the “clone” method to backup most of my dvds to my harddrive. When I load the cloned image (i.e. the .iso) using the latest copy of daemon tools, it plays fine with any of the DVD software I use (i.e. WMP, powerdvd, WinDVD, etc). Here’s my question: when I play the mounted iso back in WMP, WMP cannot identify the disk I cloned. However, if I load the original DVD (not the ISO) and play the movie back using the original dvd, WMP identifies the dvd correctly. Why is this? Can I clone my dvds so that when I mount the iso file, WMP can properly identify the imaged DVD?

(You may be asking why in the world I’m using WMP for DVD playback; it simple: I’m using Window XP Media Center edition and that’s what’s integrated in the Media Center interface.)

Any help would be appricated. It’s not a big issue, but I’d like to have fix (i.e. Media Center properly identifying a mounted iso). Thanks in advance.

Justin

You can use VLC player. It is able to read ISO files, and it is not necessary to install it. There is a portable version that requires only to unpack all files in the zip archive on any folder.

With VLC it is not necessary to mount the ISO on a virtual drive: [U]it is able to read directly the file[/U] :slight_smile:

Use “FULL DISK”, not “CLONE” to create the ISO and make sure that the DVD Label is retained.

I am pretty sure that this is where WMP obtains it’s identification.

the media centre interface is a real pain for DVDs. at least yours is still set to use WMP, My DELL pc insists on using someting called DELL CINEPLAYER, & that will only play DVDs in the dvd drive, not from the HD. I’ve given up trying to find out how to change it - I asked Powerdvd how to configure their program as the default player & they said ask microsoft!

anyway, back to your question - Full disc mode does keep the title info, but the format is not then an ISO & I don’t think you can get Media center interface to catalogue the full disc DVD copies on your HD.

but if you exit the MCE interface, go to the HD folder & open the video_ts subfolder & then open the VIDEO_TS.ifo file with WMP, the whole DVD will work for you.

To save the hassle of repeating all that every time, that you can build short cuts: send that IFo file to the desktop as a shortcut, give it a meaningful name like “dvd title”, then either leave it on the desktop or file it somewhere handy like in a movie shortcuts folder.

then you just double click that shortcut & the DVD launches. It may even be possible to add those shortcuts to the more programs menu in the MCE interface but I’ve not tried that.

NB the same trick works for powerdvd, whatever program you set as the default for opening .IFO files will kick in & run the DVD.

I quite like WMP as a DVD player - it’s stable & uncluttered, but I wish there was a way to get it to start in full scren mode automatically, & I cant find one.

cybmole, gregiboy and geno888,
Thanks for the replies.
@geno888. I need to use WMP because of the Media Center Interface. MPC is a great piece of software, I can’t use it in my set up.
@cybmole & gregiboy,
Ripping the movie using “Full Disk” mode didn’t work. Thanks for the advice though.

Justin

[QUOTE=weatheryoko;1938811]Ripping the movie using “Full Disk” mode didn’t work. Thanks for the advice though.
[/QUOTE]

what about it “didn’t work” - if you have a movie that full disc mode can’t handle you should post details of that specific movie & it’s IFOs so that the program authors can fix the problem in their next release.

Let me re-phrase. I sucessfully ripped Shrek using the full disk option. It created the corresponding .iso and it played with no problems on either WMP or Nero ShowTime once I mounted the .iso using the latest Daemon Tools. Here’s what “didn’t work”: When I played back Shrek from the .iso, WMP could not recognize the dvd (i.e. the exact same problem I’m having when I use the “clone” method.) Is that a little more clear…?

Justin

no

if you are not burning? use rip to dvd9 folder. download vlc!

troy

[QUOTE=weatheryoko;1939172]Let me re-phrase. I sucessfully ripped Shrek using the full disk option. It created the corresponding .iso and it played with no problems on either WMP or Nero ShowTime once I mounted the .iso using the latest Daemon Tools. Here’s what “didn’t work”: When I played back Shrek from the .iso, WMP could not recognize the dvd (i.e. the exact same problem I’m having when I use the “clone” method.) Is that a little more clear…?

Justin[/QUOTE]

I’m confused - full disc copy from DVD drive to Hard Drive does not create a .iso, it creates a video_ts folder contining various .ifo, .vob & .bup files. you can play the movie from those without mounting anything.

[QUOTE=cybmole;1939264]I’m confused - full disc copy from DVD drive to Hard Drive [B]does not create a .iso[/B], it creates a [B]video_ts folder [/B]contining various .ifo, .vob & .bup files. you can play the movie from those without mounting anything.[/QUOTE]

dvdfab can do both. user preference. click either folder or iso.

troy

Troy,
Thanks for the clarification. I ripped the movie to an .iso vice a folder. Let me try ripping it to a folder and see what happens. Again, because I’m using Windows Media Center Edition 2005, I can’t use VLC in the Windows Media Center interface.

Justin.

I ripped Shrek to a folder. No problems with the rip. Nero played the ripped DVD with no problems. However, when I played the ripped movie back in Windows Media Center, WMP could still not recognize the disk (i.e. on the Front Panel Display, it would not show “Shrek”; if I played the movie from the original dvd, the Front Panel Display would show “Shrek”).

I appreciate everyone’s help thus far.

Justin

[QUOTE=weatheryoko;1939836]I ripped Shrek to a folder. No problems with the rip. Nero played the ripped DVD with no problems. However, when I played the ripped movie back in Windows Media Center, WMP could still not recognize the disk (i.e. on the Front Panel Display, it would not show “Shrek”; if I played the movie from the original dvd, the Front Panel Display would show “Shrek”).

I appreciate everyone’s help thus far.

Justin[/QUOTE]

that’s right = WMP does not recognise the “disc” because it’s now a windows folder, not a DVD,

but WMP still plays it ,if you open the title IFO file as explained before. You could drag that specific file into the WMP list panel and save it as a playlist called Shrek.
then access your playlists via the MCE frontpanel & launch it that way.

Or you could put all of your video-TS.ifo shortcuts ( suitable renamed) into WMP playlsit called movie shortcuts. It’s a bit geeky but once you’ve set it up it should be very user friendly.

whoops - my playlists Idea was a bust, but I@ve found a how to play ripped DVDs artcle here:
http://apcmag.com/6488/how_to_play_ripped_dvds_on_vista
this says that it’s easy to do in MCE!!!

it says
"I don’t mean DVDs ripped using an MPEG encoder, but rather if you copy the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders off the DVD and put them in a root folder, when you selected that folder via the MCE interface, it would simply recognise it as a DVD"

I’ve yet to figure how you “select a folder via the MCE interface” but I’ll go experiment & report back. I may be stuck at changing my MCE DVD player from DEll cineplayer to WMP ( & that may need a registry hack), because cineplayer won’t open HD folders.

yes! - here’s how. lets’ say you have 3 movies in c:/dvdfab/main movie - calle them movie1, movie 2 & movie 3 for this example.
go into MCE - videos - add folders & add DVDFAb & subfolders. you can then use the MCE videos menu to select the Movie1 or Movie2 or Movie3 subfolder & when you double clcik that folder the DVD begins to play!

NB I’m doing this with a mouse because I dont have an official microsoft remote, but I’m doing it within the MCE front end & it is working.

I read in the previously posted aritcle link that its more difficult with Vista MCE but can still be done if you follow the instructions - so try it & report back please.

the non-intuitive step was that you have to use the MCE My Videos Menu, not the DVD menu ( the latter only works with what is in the DVD drive)

for an iso toplay you need an img drive of some kind i use nero and you can use any other player to play the movie when it is ripped to a videoaaaaa-ts folder

for an iso toplay you need an img drive of some kind i use nero and you can use any other player to play the movie when it is ripped to a video_ts folder

cybmole,
Thanks for all the leg work! I’ll try this today and report back. For what’s it’s worth, I’ve been using MyMovies (a great app btw; plus its free) to launch the movies from the folders. I’ll try your way and report back.

@darkman666j,
Lauching the movies (as an iso) has never been a problem. I was using daemon tools to mount the iso. The problem I’m having is getting WMP to recoginize (i.e. download the title and chapter information from the internet) the dvd/iso once it’s mounted.

Justin