Problem with youtube videos

In case someone caught this, I made a mistake in post #4 when I said that I had another partition with Windows 7 where the youtube videos worked. That could not happen because the speakers would still be disabled in Windows 7 with a dvi connection no matter what partition the os is installed on. Turns out that Windows Vista was now on that partition and does not disable the speakers when you have a dvi connection. Hence the youtube videos will still play.

[QUOTE=cpubound;2730547]I can only play youtube videos by disabling shockwave flash plugin for both internet explorer and firefox. Youtube videos play fine in chrome. I have googled this problem for a while, but nothing seems to work.

I have tried what was recommended within youtube but that does not work. Any ideas.[/QUOTE]

I don’t get this there is no hardware specs or O/S or browser version your using to show what anyone can test to find were the problem is coming from? You mention later W7 but which version of W7 are you talking about?

[QUOTE=cpubound;2730580]In case someone caught this, I made a mistake in post #4 when I said that I had another partition with Windows 7 where the youtube videos worked. That could not happen because the speakers would still be disabled in Windows 7 with a dvi connection no matter what partition the os is installed on. Turns out that Windows Vista was now on that partition and does not disable the speakers when you have a dvi connection. Hence the youtube videos will still play.[/QUOTE]

DVI shouldn’t have any problem with audio that is for Video only why should this have Audio playback problem? IMO I don’t have dual boot but have Windows 7x64 Ult Sp1 and IE11 and FF30 and have no problem playing back Youtube with Shockwave, Flashplayer plugin, or Silverlight plugin causing any instability in Youtube video playback.

I think your problem is more deeper then what is being said here. Could be problem with the browser version and plugins or problem with the O/S install causing instability to play back Youtube. Also their problem unless it matches your hardware and O/S install and browser settings shouldn’t be used as a cure-all for your specific problem that may sounds like that but turns out not to be that problem exactly either.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2730627]I don’t get this there is no hardware specs or O/S or browser version your using to show what anyone can test to find were the problem is coming from? You mention later W7 but which version of W7 are you talking about?[/QUOTE]

First of all, I have been hanging out in forums for 5 or 6 years and I have never seen someone add a post after the thread is solved griping about not enough information was divulged to solve the problem. The problem is solved. Get over it.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2730627]DVI shouldn’t have any problem with audio that is for Video only why should this have Audio playback problem?[/QUOTE]
I never said I had an audio playback problem. The title of the thread is “Problem with youtube videos”.[/QUOTE]

A dvi connection in Windows 7 will disable the speakers because a dvi connection does not carry audio only video. When the speakers are disabled and you have the shockwave plugin in either IE or FF, youtube videos will not play as both Cholla and I have demonstrated.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2730627]IMO I don’t have dual boot but have Windows 7x64 Ult Sp1 and IE11 and FF30 and have no problem playing back Youtube with Shockwave, Flashplayer plugin, or Silverlight plugin causing any instability in Youtube video playback. [/QUOTE]
I never said that you could have Windows 7x64 Ult Sp1 and IE11 and FF30 and have a problem playing back Youtube with Shockwave, Flashplayer plugin, or Silverlight plugin causing any instability in Youtube video playback.

What I said is if you have Windows 7 and a dvi connection(which disables the speakers by default) and shockwave plugin you will not be able to play youtube videos.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2730627]I think your problem is more deeper then what is being said here. Could be problem with the browser version and plugins or problem with the O/S install causing instability to play back Youtube. Also their problem unless it matches your hardware and O/S install and browser settings shouldn’t be used as a cure-all for your specific problem that may sounds like that but turns out not to be that problem exactly either.[/QUOTE]
The problem and solution have been confirmed by Cholla and myself.
What you don’t understand is that your speakers have to be disabled for the problem to occur. Enabling the speakers is the solution to the problem.

[QUOTE=cpubound;2730657]What I said is if you have Windows 7 and a dvi connection(which disables the speakers by default) and shockwave plugin you will not be able to play youtube videos.[/QUOTE]

And definately 1 to remember…:iagree:
This is perhaps more widespread than people think…:iagree:

This same problem happens in Windows 8 except the video advances on the timeline with a blank screen. If you hover over the timeline with your mouse, you can actually see a thumbnail of the frame that should be displayed.

Again this only happens with a dvi connection, but in this case it doesn’t matter whether you have shockwave flash plugin enabled or disabled.

Definitely a problem somewhere and probably with youtube since the frames are available, but are not being displayed.

[QUOTE=cpubound;2730960]This same problem happens in Windows 8 except the video advances on the timeline with a blank screen. If you hover over the timeline with your mouse, you can actually see a thumbnail of the frame that should be displayed.

Again this only happens with a dvi connection, but in this case it doesn’t matter whether you have shockwave flash plugin enabled or disabled.

Definitely a problem somewhere and probably with youtube since the frames are available, but are not being displayed.[/QUOTE]
Great thread cpubound. Thank you.:wink:

@ cpubound , Did Windows 8 work once the speakers were enabled ?

I may be wrong, but there is no way to enable or disable the onboard speakers. With an hdmi connection they are enabled by default and wth a dvi connection they are disabled by default.

The Realtek sound card allows for two communication devices(AMD HDMI Output and Realtek Digital Output) through two mini-plug jacks(one for earphones and one for speakers). With a dvi connection neither of the two devices will work because audio is not carried through the cable. So there is no way to enable anything. Plugging anything into the jacks has no affect.

I haven’t use a DVI connection. I take it that when it is plugged in it makes the “Realtek Digital Output” the default device.

If you unplug the DVI connection & plug in speakers or a headphone . Will one of those become the “default device” ? Or can you click or right click on it then to make it the “default device” .
I know this is not what you want to do on a permanent basis. I was just curious if that makes the YouTube work.
It seems that if someone wants to use a DVI connection . A sound card & maybe a video card also that has the capability to do both might need to be used.

I compare it to ( I’m sure it is more complicated electronically) plugging in a set of headphones which disconnects the speakers.

The DVI apparently disables all sound output except digital. Is this the optical audio output ?

Check the dvi cable…to see if you have a dvi-d cable or a dvi-i cable …the last 1 will probably give you sound…:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=cholla;2730977]I haven’t use a DVI connection. I take it that when it is plugged in it makes the “Realtek Digital Output” the default device.[/QUOTE]
That is correct. When I change from an hdmi connection to a dvi connection, the playback devices are configured as shown.

[QUOTE=cholla;2730977]Will one of those become the “default device” ? Or can you click or right click on it then to make it the “default device” .[/QUOTE]
When I right click any of the devices, the only option available is disable.

[QUOTE=cholla;2730977]I know this is not what you want to do on a permanent basis. I was just curious if that makes the YouTube work.
It seems that if someone wants to use a DVI connection . A sound card & maybe a video card also that has the capability to do both might need to be used.[/QUOTE]
The only way that the video works is to disable the shockwave flash plugin, but other websites like ustream need the plugin enabled.

[QUOTE=cholla;2730977]The DVI apparently disables all sound output except digital. Is this the optical audio output ?[/QUOTE]
My tv has a separate jack for optical audio output ,but this monitor does not. Not sure, but I think that is for a home theater system(htpc).

[QUOTE=roadworker;2730978]Check the dvi cable…to see if you have a dvi-d cable or a dvi-i cable …the last 1 will probably give you sound…:)[/QUOTE]

Here is what is written on the dvi cable that came with the Viewsonic monitor:
AWM E101344 STYLE 20276 VW-1 80 (DEGREES C) 30V SPACE SHUTTLE - D

Picture attached about different connectors…
Since DVI-I also carries analog signals,MAYBE you can get sound too for integrated speakers?

You obviously know more than me about a/v cables. As I stated before, when I connect by dvi, everything is non-workable except Realtec digital output. The cable has all the pins and does not match your illustration for dvd-a even though it is described as that on ebay.

Now the Realtec card is ertainly capable of carrying both hdmi and digital sound for an hdmi cable. When I plug in my headphones nothing happens with a dvi connection. Is the digital audio for an optical audio jack? If so there is no way I can enable sound with a dvi-a,dvi-d or dvi-i cable. Correct.

On the company that made your DVI cable .
There site doesn’t have a lot of information but has contact e-mail addresses.
This is the site:

I’ve been trying to educate myself on DVI cables .
I found this site which has a lot of information (it also sells cables so advertises that subtlety.)
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/dvi-cables/index.htm

Looking at the ebay images of your cable I think it is a DVI-D .

I also didn’t see anything about audio over a DVI cable yet.

This is from the site about optical audio:

an increasing number of devices are coming onto the market with digital audio available only in optical form, following the TOSlink standard.

I’m sure there is more information on this . I will post if I find something.

It took too long to add this with edit . So another post.
The discussion in this link was interesting.
I think the adapter they discussed for ATi is a DVI to HDMI adapter .
That wasn’t exactly clear.
What was clear enough is from most graphics cards a DVI cable will be Video only.
The ones that do still use an adapter DVI to HDMI if I understood the discussion correctly.

I don’t yet know if audio can be detected(& enabled) by Windows 8.1 ( or other Windows versions) with DVI plugged into the computer .

This might have some useful information:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-pictures/windows-8-audio-through-a-hdmi-cable-on-desktop/79aaa786-8311-4fa2-8206-0e57b8861baf

[QUOTE=cpubound;2730974] Plugging anything into the jacks has no affect.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=cpubound;2731025]
When I plug in my headphones nothing happens with a dvi connection[/QUOTE]

This is very strange…normally the red ‘checkmark’ should be gone now, and the headphone tab should be selectable…this should not be influented by the dvi connection…
IMHO,this seems more a driver error than a real hardware problem…did you already try to remove them and then update to the latest version?

[QUOTE=cholla;2731065] I don’t yet know if audio can be detected(& enabled) by Windows 8.1 ( or other Windows versions) with DVI plugged into the computer .[/QUOTE]

That’s no problem for seperate speakers or headphones…at least,not on my desktop…:disagree:

I found this Realtek HD Audio manager.
Since cpubound has Realtek .
It might increase the setting options.

[QUOTE=roadworker;2731073]That’s no problem for seperate speakers or headphones…at least,not on my desktop…:disagree:[/QUOTE]

Thanks roadworker. Part of what I wanted to know .

Is this with a DVI cable plugged in ? Similar or the same as cpubound.
Also do you have the Realtek sound card ?

I figured out why the realtek digital output becomes the default device when I plug the dvi cable into the monitor. I have jacks for speakers and headphones on the back of my tower which are enabled and have nothing to do with whether a monitor is present or not. They will always produce sound if something is plugged in.

This is all becoming clear now. The AMD hdmi output device is specifically for an hdmi connection to a monitor. Hence with a dvi connection it is non-functional and the headphone and speaker jacks on the monitor are also non-functional.

If you look at the icon for the hdmi output you see a monitor. The icon for Realtek digital output looks like an amplifier.

Finally, Cholla you are right when you said to plug in some headphones or speakers to enable sound to resolve the problem. When I plug my headphones into the mini-jack on the back of the tower, I am able to view the youtube videos with shockwave flash plugin enabled. It was just a matter of figuring what jacks were for the two different communication devices.