Problem with youtube videos

I can only play youtube videos by disabling shockwave flash plugin for both internet explorer and firefox. Youtube videos play fine in chrome. I have googled this problem for a while, but nothing seems to work.

I have tried what was recommended within youtube but that does not work. Any ideas.

Since the security problem IE had I’ve been using Opera Next v22 .
It is a Chrome bases browser & has both Adobe shockwave & flash players.
No problems with it.

What OS ?
My main OS on my desktop is Vista so it uses IE9.
On my laptop with W7 I have IE11.

I don’t have FF installed .
Let me know which is closest to the OS & IE you are using & I will give YouTube a test.

Also if you could post a link to a YouTube video you can’t play.

Perhaps the installations or permissions are messed up…
Did you check the default app settings for flash video?
Did you try to reinstall shockwave player and then flashplayer afterwards?

[QUOTE=cholla;2730549]
What OS ?
My main OS on my desktop is Vista so it uses IE9.
On my laptop with W7 I have IE11.

I don’t have FF installed .
Let me know which is closest to the OS & IE you are using & I will give YouTube a test.

Also if you could post a link to a YouTube video you can’t play.[/QUOTE]

I can’t play any video. It starts for about five seconds then displays an error message and a link to recommendations.

It’s not a problem with youtube because I have another partition on the same computer with Windows 7 and they play there. It is sort of a backup os in case something does wrong with the primary Windows 7 os.

[QUOTE=roadworker;2730550]Perhaps the installations or permissions are messed up…
Did you check the default app settings for flash video?
Did you try to reinstall shockwave player and then flashplayer afterwards?[/QUOTE]

Are you talking about the settings in about:plugins?

I have reinstalled adobe flash player after uninstalling with revo. The shockwave plugins are automatically installed. I have also removed the plugins before reinstalling.

Evidently a colon is the symbol for a smiley.

Check Internet Options/Security/Internet/Custom level
Scroll to Scripting & make sure " Active Scripting" is “Enabled”.

That might not be it but is something to check.
I tested with both IE 11 on W 7 & IE 9 on Vista both played YouTube with no problem.

[QUOTE=cpubound;2730554]I can’t play any video. It starts for about five seconds then displays an error message and a link to recommendations.[/QUOTE]

Try to grab the message with a screenshot,so that we can see…:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=cholla;2730556]Check Internet Options/Security/Internet/Custom level
Scroll to Scripting & make sure " Active Scripting" is “Enabled”.
[/QUOTE]
Active scripting is enabled.

In the same area I have " Scripting of Java applets" Disabled .

In Control Panel/Programs/Programs & Features I have Adobe Schockwave Player 12.1

You might see how that compares to yours.
Strange that the different partition W 7 plays YouTube OK.
It almost seem like it is a Security software blocking it.

Here is the screenshot:

I tested disabling Active scripting .
I got a black video screen that wouldn’t play anything but no error message.

[QUOTE=cholla;2730560]In the same area I have " Scripting of Java applets" Disabled .

In Control Panel/Programs/Programs & Features I have Adobe Schockwave Player 12.1

You might see how that compares to yours.
Strange that the different partition W 7 plays YouTube OK.
It almost seem like it is a Security software blocking it.[/QUOTE]

I had “scripting of java applets” enabled. I disabled it. No change.

I should mention that advertisements play before the youtube video.

In installed programs I have:
Adobe Flash Player 13 Plugin
Adobe Flash Player 14 Activex

I install Adobe Flashplayer and the shocwave plugins are automatically installed in IE and FF.

what are your file associations for .flv and .mp4?

I found a couple of things about this .
I disabled the speakers “Playback” on my laptop W7 IE11 & got the same error message.
Some people were able to get the error to stop by using headphones.
To me both 'fixes" if the work seem to point to a sound card confilct wit IE & YouTube.
You might give using some headphones a try .

[QUOTE=cholla;2730565]I found a couple of things about this .
I disabled the speakers “Playback” on my laptop W7 IE11 & got the same error message.
Some people were able to get the error to stop by using headphones.
To me both 'fixes" if the work seem to point to a sound card confilct wit IE & YouTube.
You might give using some headphones a try .[/QUOTE]
My speakers are disabled. I will try that.

Cholla, I think you just found a bug in youtube. The video will not play with the speakers disabled and showave plugin installed.

I had a dvi connection(no audio) so the speakers were disabled. I used my hdmi connection and rebooted which enabled my onboard speakers for the monitor. It worked. Congratulations.

Glad to have found the problem .
Strange that Opera Next v22 for me & Chrome for you would play the YouTube videos anyway.
I don’t have FF so I couldn’t test with it but IE 11 displayed the error when I disabled the speakers. If I listem to YouTube on the laptop I almost always use headphones . On my laptop the speakers have to be enabled for the headphones to work

Well done,cholla!!!:bow::clap:
@ cpubound:glad you got it sorted!:flower:

[QUOTE=cholla;2730570]Glad to have found the problem .
Strange that Opera Next v22 for me & Chrome for you would play the YouTube videos anyway.
I don’t have FF so I couldn’t test with it but IE 11 displayed the error when I disabled the speakers. If I listem to YouTube on the laptop I almost always use headphones . On my laptop the speakers have to be enabled for the headphones to work[/QUOTE]

In my research for this problem I came across a thread where someone said that chrome uses html5 and so to activate html5 to resolve this problem in IE. I just browsed the thread quickly, but figured that was not the ultimate solution, if it was indeed true.

That seems to be reasonable that html5 would bypass the problem .
Still I think it would depend on the specific computer & it wouldn’t work on some.