Problem with Xvid to DVD conversion

vbimport

Hi all how are you,
Just a little problem with converting my Xvid’s to dvd and was wondering if anyone might be able to help…(I am a bit of a noobie to this stuff so please be kind)
I am following ChickenMan’s guide “How to convert your Divx/Avi to DVD+R”
What is happening my converted DVDs are always 5mins short.
It seems to cut of the last 5 to 7 mins of the movie, although the DVD is perfect, the quality of picture and sound is excellent other than the very end of the movie is cut off…
I set up the DVD2SVCD and D2SRoBa the night before and in the morning I check the finished conversion.
The program confirms the conversion is complete but there is an error message box with as follows:

“CCE encoding failed***Could not get the result of write operation to file <G:\TempDVD\Encoded_video_cce_pal.mpv There is not enough space on the disk.
(Windows error code: 0x79112)”

And when I close that box this error box appears

“fexp-close()failed:Could not get the result of write operation to file <G:\TempDVD\Encoded_video_cce_pal.mpv There is not enough space on the disk.
(Windows error code: 0x79112)”

If the error is telling me there is not enough room on the drive I am sending it to, I would be surprised as I allow 31gb of free space for it to do the conversion…
What is even a little more confusing is the first couple of movies I did were 100% perfect its been just the last few attempts that are going wrong. I am not sure what to do from here any help would very much be appreciated.
Alyson

What operating system are you using?
If it’s 2K or XP, is/are your drive(s) set up as NTFS filesystem?

Hi reboot
I am running Winxp and my drives are Fat 32
Alyson

Fat32 has a filesize limitation of 4 gig.
Chickenman’s tutorial allows for a standard DVD 5 size of 4.7 gig
Either convert to NTFS, or reduce the bitrate enough so it’s under 4 gig.
Don’t forget to leave room for authoring menus, if you do that.

Note, about the guide, roughly 3rd paragraph down, it says:
You will also need a Computer with:

• Windows NT, 2000 or XP installed (will NOT work in Win95/98/ME as >4gig files will be created.)

Thanks reboot,
I gather if I convert to NTFS it would have to be my Windows xp drive, and the drive I am sending the files to ?(I have 2x80gb hard drives partitioned into 40gb each with a dual boot 98se on C: drive)

Until I make the change to NTFS I would like to try reducing the bitrate. Which part of the program do I do that in and by how much do you think?.

Sorry for all the noobie questions but I am so wanting to get this to work. I had been using DVDSanta and although the conversion works ok, and it completes the whole movie, but the quality is no where as good as ChickenMans guide

I did see this in the guide and have got WINXP installed, I was under the silly assumption winxp some how fixed the 4gb limit. boy was I wrong I realize now you must convert to NTFS
Thanks again Alyson

In the guide, it should maybe be a little more clear, that NTFS must be used, not just NT/2K/XP.
On this screen, reduce the max average.

Use the bitrate calculator here to figure out the average bitrate, so it’s under 4 gig.
In reality, you should have one partition (40 gig) as NTFS, and do ALL of your video work on that partition.
Win98 won’t be able to read/write to it though.

p.s. glad you got away from Santa! IMHO, it’s a POS (piece of @$##^) :wink:
p.p.s. Another great beginner guide: http://members.dodo.net.au/~jimmalenko/AVI2DVD.htm
p.p.p.s Other software that will do what you want (free) include:
TheFilmMachine (seems a bit buggy)
D.I.K.O. Simple, but works good.
VSO Divx to DVD Extremely simple, no options, but does produce a good dvd.
Look for links in the tools section of www.videohelp.com

I can’t thank you enough for your response, I am going to give reducing the Bitrate a try today…If that is not the fix I will convert the drive I am sending the files to (G:drive), to NTFS.
Or would I also have to convert to NTFS on my WINXP (D:drive) also.?
Alyson
I will post back on how it goes

No, XP can reside on a FAT32 drive.
You only need a working NTFS drive that can handle the mpeg output.
Remember, reduced bitrate is going to result in a smaller file size, as well as leave blank room on your dvdr, AND may result in less video quality.
It’s always best to encode at the highest bitrate possible and still fit on the media.
There are ways around this, but they’re generally lower quality than most people are comfortable with, but work really well if your source material is no greater than VHS quality to begin with.

Just thought I let you know changing my drive to NTFS did the trick. I have converted a few Xvids and they are perfect, I am one very happy lady
Thanks for all your help reboot
Alyson

You’re most welcome :slight_smile: