Problem with Writing Speed in Alcohol 120%

vbimport

Alright so, I’m really new to this forum, and to Alcohol 120% in general. I even mainly registered here just to solve one problem I’ve been having ~
I have Alcohol 120% 2.0.1.2033 and I’m trying to record an .iso file on a DVD+R (with max speed x16) disc to play a game on my PS2. the Version of Alcohol i have can record with writing speed none lower than x6 and I heard that the best chance of a PS2 to accept home-recorded games is x4 and not higher. My brother’s friend once recorded me some games for the PS2 using alcohol exactly with the speed of x4, and those games work perfectly on my PS2, however this time I had to go with x6, and it could not read it. I don’t want to risk wasting discs trying to record with x8, x12, etc. that’s why I wanna know, how can i make Alcohol 120% lower writing speed to x4?
I tried in the options setting the max writing speed of a Playstation 2 datatype to x4, but when I go to the burning starting menu and all it still does not show x4 in the dropdown menu, only x6, x8, x12 and x 16 (and of course Maximum). And even if this thing affects the maximum speed (like instead of x40 it will do x4) I still don’t want to risk wasting discs unless I know 100% it’ll be x4.
So Can anyone please help? I’ve been searching for 8 hours today and still found nothing (Except a normal version of Alcohol that actually works and this forum, which is my last hope ~ ).

Thanks anyone who will try to help :slight_smile:

Hi and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Burning speeds are “decided” by the drive firmware, not the burning software. My guess is that for discs you are using the 4x burning speed is not included in firmware.

What burner do you have? Did you try to update firmware? What discs are you using?

Thanks xD This place looks pretty useful, so I’ll prolly be sticking :stuck_out_tongue: (even if I’ll be inactive <w<)

By firmware you mean my PC? or the PS2? or Disk? *is Russian xD;; * if PC, then that’s the tricky part - we used to have x4 on our PC O.o We even recorded about 2-3 months ago on the same type of disc (that’s why I’m positive it these DVDs can record with x4 speed ~ ) and then we had the x4 speed, but now nor Alcohol, nor Nero 7, nor even Nero 6 have that O.o I was already wondering if the actual .iso file I’m recording was damaged or something … but I simply dunno any more places to download for (that are safe and trustworthy). But still, it has to be the speed. I know this myth about the low speed is broken, but still, I think my PS2 accepts stuff only recorded at x4 speed o.o;;

burner? <w< I used Alcohol 120% first (at x6), then Nero 7 Demo (at x8) and then Nero 6 (at x6) ~ (and all 3 discs failed) and so what is firmware? <w< Acme DVD+R for 4.7Gb and max speed of x16.

Oh and thanks for replying ODO MUCH appreciated ~ I waited until someone would reply ôwô

I was referring to the burner firmware :slight_smile:

You can find this information with ImgBurn. Run it, select Write mode, and take a look at the right panel: here you can find burner model and currently installed firmware :slight_smile:

I never heard about Acme DVD+R media, but I’m pretty sure that these are low quality discs. Try with a Verbatim, mostly if you need to use dual layer discs.

To exclude the ISO file as cause of the problem, however, simply make it again from the original disc :slight_smile:

Have the same problem here, i tryed 3 new burners on sata, 6 types of blanks media, and nothing. The firmware of burners will get me minimum speed of 6x…and for ps2 is too much. Is not your software the cause, we must know what burners to buy with suported speed of 4x for old media. my present burners are Liteon Ihas 124C, and 24B3ST.
I tryed also LG GH22NS70. Still nothing. And i have latest updates on them…somebody can tell us the models with low speed ??

Write speed is not the problem at all. PS2 is not designed to run games from writeable media.

Michael

Ps2 with modchip and backup of my original game is legit, so it suppose to read that. The dvd rom from ps2 read at 2x standard…write speed is a problem for most users. And most media is fake in shops, even Verbatims - are hard to find the original ones. I have over 10 years experience with them.

[QUOTE=vildzek;2627660][B]Ps2 with modchip and backup of my original game is legit, so it suppose to read that.[/B] The dvd rom from ps2 read at 2x standard…write speed is a problem for most users. And most media is fake in shops, even Verbatims - are hard to find the original ones. I have over 10 years experience with them.[/QUOTE]

…depend on the local (country) laws.