Problem with VOB files

vbimport

I am backing up my DVD movies with the latest ver of DVDfab. I am using the video pass through setting and making a large VOB file ( about 4-5gb per movie). I am also renaming the movie.vob file to movie.mpg.

The movie will play in windows media player and also on my media extender but I am unable to fast forward or rewind the movie while I am watching it. I am also not able to skip ahead or back in the movie. I can only watch the movie from start to finish and I am only able to pause and un-pause. Is there a way to fix this? Is there another high quality movie format that allows you fast forward and rewind / skip ahead and back (just like watching the DVD)?

Thanks

you can just rip as Video_TS folder or ISO file. both are DVD compliant outputs.

yeah not having the .ifo and .bup files to go with the .vob file leave you with no navigation.

Can you stream the Video_TS folder to a stand alone media player (like the Linksys 2200) over my network? Will ifo and bup files help using a renamed large movie.mpg file or are those files only used with a Vob file?

I would like to be able to navigation the movie while watching it. Is there another high quality format I can use (like video pass through) and still navigate. Is there a way to edit the new mpg file and add navigation to it?

[quote=rhaensze;2184195]Can you stream the Video_TS folder to a stand alone media player (like the Linksys 2200) over my network? Will ifo and bup files help using a renamed large movie.mpg file or are those files only used with a Vob file?

I would like to be able to navigation the movie while watching it. Is there another high quality format I can use (like video pass through) and still navigate. Is there a way to edit the new mpg file and add navigation to it?[/quote]
Have you even tried the ISO option as it one file and I believe can be streamed but you have to try to find that out

[QUOTE=rhaensze;2184195]Can you stream the Video_TS folder to a stand alone media player (like the Linksys 2200) over my network? Will ifo and bup files help using a renamed large movie.mpg file or are those files only used with a Vob file?

I would like to be able to navigation the movie while watching it. Is there another high quality format I can use (like video pass through) and still navigate. Is there a way to edit the new mpg file and add navigation to it?[/QUOTE]

Like GJ, I can’t help you with the streaming aspect of ISO files, but to attempt an answer to your other question, as long as you use the pass-through option to crunch the movie to one large file, you lose all your navigation data, which, when present, allows you to fast-forward, use chapters, etc. as you would with a regular DVD.

You basically have two options:

1. Don’t use the pass-through and keep the navpackets

2. Re-author the large file to re-install the navpackets to use the file as you want to.

The only problem with item 1. is that I don’t know if conversion to another format keeps that data, and, 2. re-authoring will require you go on a crash course to learn DVDs well enough to use a good authoring program (not to mention the $$$).

There may actually be other options, but I’m not aware of all the details, so I won’t comment on them.

O’C

:eek:

please set your burn engine to ImgBurn and set the target as ISO. there are some players which support playing of ISO files. if not then you can mount the ISO with a program such as Deamon tools. this will make the ISO file its own drive like playing the original disc from your internal dvd drive.

also will your media extender work with VLC player. as VLC can stream video and player ISO files.

What software do you recommend that will convert my big VOB file to most other common formats?

What software do you recommend that will convert a ISO file to most other common formats?

Why not try [B]VIDEOFAB CONVERTER[/B]