Problem with TY Discs

vbimport

I had written 2 Taiyo DVD+R’s
One was written with a Ricoh writer.
The other a Pioneer 107-D

I scanned the Ricoh written one on the ricoh writer and the graph went up vertical i think from 2x to 4x and then went normal. (This was done with CD/DVD Speed)
I scanned the pioneer written one in the Ricoh writer and the results came up as good as they did on the pioneer drive when i scanned the pioneer written one.
Which must mean the pioneer does a better job of writing than the ricoh.

I’m at collage now. Just tried one of the DVD’s in the DVD-ROM the ricoh written one was not recognised properly.
Pioneer written one was also not recognised properly.

I was surprised.
I took the DVD out blew it and the DVD-ROM drive.
Put the disc back in and it then worked.
What im worried about is in case even the pioneer writer has made weaknesses in the media i have.
It even more surprised me that it didnt read the pioneer DVD straight away.

Is there any way i could find out its the DVD-ROM thats not good at reading or whether its a bad burn?

If i do a transfer rate test at home on the pioneer drive and the lines go how theyre meant to, does it mean its other DVD-ROMs/writers that arent that good at reading these discs?

I’m just really worried in case the pioneer and ricoh writers arent burning them strong enough.

Cheers ppl.

Are the burners firmware up to date ? And your burning software ?
Scan the discs with DVDInfoPro on the Pioneer drive and post results
(I don’t know if the Ricoh drive has PI/PIF scanning capabilities).

Maybe you have too much PIE/PIF errors ?

Maybe the DVD-ROM reader is not up to date : try a firmware upgrade, if you can.

I think the pioneers one is up to date.
Burning software is Nero Burning ROM.

got dvd info, what do i scan PIF?RPM?or what?

thanks for the info.

Here are the results done with the PIF scan.

Obviously the Ricoh one is the worst one because the writer is a load of sh!t.

Just wanted to know if the pioneers one is ok.

Also is there a prog that tells me if i have 100% data on the disc that was burned to it and that i have
A: No data loss.
B: No data corruption?

PO=PIF. They are clearly too high for me (but Pioneers are not very accurate at scanning PI/PIF), should be <12 if I remember well.
For Tayio Yuden, this are crappy burns.

I would suggest you to buy a BenQ 1620 (before they are replaced by 1640) for a few $ now (I buy mine 47 euros, with a Nero CD).

Maybe you can test VSO Inspector (free at vso-software.com) to test your media if you want. It’s a nice piece of software.

Ooh right ok cheers.
So looking aat these burn results, how much more life would you say these TY DVD’s have left in them?

I always though Pioneer were a good brand of DVD Writer.
But like you said Pioneer arent accurate.
Would the results of a CD/DVD Speed test be any help to you on how well the burns are etc?
I will check out the software you recommended.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=UFNQcm9kdWN0U2VhcmNoUmVzdWx0cw%3D%3D&mfr_uid=-1&cat_uid=27&order_col=sell_price&order=ASC&keywords=1620&show=stock&Filter=Filter

Thats a site that directs you to the BenQ writers.
I want the writer thats going to be capable of burning those TY DVD-R’s.
After clicking the correct drive on the page link i gave you, would you mind giving me the link to the correct product.
Thanks v much m8.

Isit really important though that i do flash my drives?
I’ve had so many problems in the past from flashing drives had to buy new ones etc.
Will the burns be worse if i dont flash them?

>>So looking aat these burn results, how much more life would
>>you say these TY DVD’s have left in them?

As I say, scans done on Pioneers are not reliable.

It’s difficult to predict the death of a disc, though…

>>I always though Pioneer were a good brand of DVD Writer.
Last Pioneer 109 is no good at all, worse than 108.
Check the poll here :
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=135828

>>Would the results of a CD/DVD Speed test be any help to you
>>on how well the burns are etc?
No need, I imagine the slowdowns, etc.

>>http://www.ebuyer.com
>>Thats a site that directs you to the BenQ writers.
>>I want the writer thats going to be capable of burning those
>>TY DVD-R’s. After clicking the correct drive on the page link i gave you,
>>would you mind giving me the link to the correct product.
Sorry can’t do that since I’m in Europe and that I don’t know
how this site works, etc. You should ask in the BenQ forum
a place to get one 1620.

>>Is it really important though that i do flash my drives?
>>I’ve had so many problems in the past from flashing drives
>>had to buy new ones etc.
>>Will the burns be worse if i dont flash them?
New firmwares are made to improve things and support more media, usualy.
Take your own risks, as your drives are old now, it could be useless…

ok thanks very much for all your replies.
For a perfect burn with 100% no data loss of corruption what would the rsults have to look like for the transfer rate test with CD SPEED?

Got a few more questions too.
What’s stronger, more likely to live more and better?
A Dual Layered DVD or a DVD-R?

Also when are these 50GB Optical Discs coming out made by Blu-Ray Technology?

It should also be noted that DVDinfopro doesn’t produce very reliable error rate scans as well. :wink:

aaaaah riiight!! lol.

Does CD/DVD speed produce relaible error rate scans?

Hi Jason, I have the pioneer 108 burner. It’s a good burner I really like it, but it’s not very good for scanning media that’s all. It’s probably just the way the firmware reports what’s going on with the error correction or something, I don’t think it means it’s a bad drive.

I, like youself, also find that with certain brands of media that the PI and PO curve look very similar, with near 100% correlation and PO being way too high. But then when I take these exact same disks (burnt on my Pioneer) and scan them in my friends liteon drive then the scans look just fine, PO is much lower. Let me emphasize that it’s not a problem with how the Pioneer burns the discs, and it doesn’t even seem to be a problem with how it reads then, it’s a very reliable reader. It’s just something about error scanning that’s wonky on these drive, otherwise the performance is good IMHO.

You should see if you know someone with a liteon drive and see how the same discs scan there, just so you know that your disks are really burning ok. For all you know those discs may be just fine, you cant put too much weight on the pioneer scans.

As an example here are two scans of the same disc, burnt on my pioneer and scanned firstly on the pioneer and then on a liteon, notice how different they are. And this is not even the best example, on some media the discrepancy between the pioneer scans and the liteon scan is very much more pronounced.

Pioneer Scan http://img182.echo.cx/my.php?image=ttg0239fw.jpg

Liteon Scan http://img283.echo.cx/my.php?image=ttg0231dh.jpg

aah thats a relief then been worrying like mad.
think i got a few probs with my TY discs anyway, looking at them in acertain angle, i have noticed this spray looking glittery specs on the back, millions of them.
I tyold svp about the prob, they knew what it was but said its extremely rare and usually hard to spot.
Hope it doesnt affect their lifetime.

If you use nero cd/dvd speed as per your other “baffled” thead and let it scan right though to the end then it tells you that all the data on the disc is readable.

A full error scan is actually better because it can tell you of a poor quality burn even before dvd/cd speed show any dropout or slowdowns, but you need a drive capable of accurate scanning results to do this.

BTW. I find the scans on my Pioneer 108 to still be usefull for relative comparisions. Even though the scans dont look as good as they should they still give me a comparative indication of how one burn compares with another.