Problem with ts-L632m

Hi everyone… I’m new in your great community!
I tried to crossflash my dvd writer tsst ts-L632m following the instruction in your site… from the hp OEM i flashed it into the SC03… everything seems to be gone well and the program asks me to reboot. my laptop now recognises the dvd writer an also Wininquiry does… But my drive cannot read any kind of disc!! What should i do?? :confused:
Thanks in advice

Hi and Welcome!

have you already checked device manager if there are any errors indicated?

Michael

No any errors in device manager. The drive is fully recognized by windows a ts-l632m. I followed this thread

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f105/tsst-ts-l623m-hp-oem-not-writing-279647

in which a user called sosa2006 post an HP original firmware. I downloaded that firmware and use it to flash my dvd writer. Like i said before, windows recognize it as a

TSST corp CD/DVDW TS-L632M ATA DEVICE

But even with this fw my drive doesn’t work. I think I need the original hp firmware. I remember it was the 017A version. Is there some possibility to get it? I’ve also tried to email HP website in order to get that firmware

[QUOTE=magicsimo;2449966]No any errors in device manager. The drive is fully recognized by windows a ts-l632m. [/quote]Okay.
No idea if this helps, but you may uninstall the drive from device manager, and also the IDE controller the drive is connected to. Then reboot and let Windows redetect the hardware.

But even with this fw my drive doesn’t work. I think I need the original hp firmware. I remember it was the 017A version. Is there some possibility to get it? I’ve also tried to email HP website in order to get that firmware
Haven’t checked myself, but you may try firmwarehq.com

Another question: Do you have a bootable CD or DVD at hand? If so, then please try if you can boot from that disc. You may change to boot sequence in Bios setup or invoke some boot menu.
If that fails, I suspect your drive is dead and needs to be replaced.

Michael

No good results while booting… the drive can’t read anything. I’ve tried crossflashing with samsung fw SC03 downloaded from firmwarehq: the crossflash went good, anyway the drive is not working!! The only one working fw may be the original hp one, but I can’t find it…

Sorry, I have no idea where to get that firmware :frowning: Also, I doubt this will fix the issue you have with the drive.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2450248]Sorry, I have no idea where to get that firmware Also, I doubt this will fix the issue you have with the drive.

Michael[/QUOTE]

I’ll try to get the original fw anyway… If that does not work i’ll change my drive. But there’s one thing i cannot understand: I followed this thread

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f105/how-crossflash-tsstcorp-ts-l632m-slim-tsstcorp-sn-s082m-256021/

In which you also take part. I did exactly what i read but my drive is gone… Can you please explain me why?:frowning: Thankss

Hi,

since the drive was properly recognised after the crossflash, it is not braindead. So the crossflash didn’t kill the drive.
I guess, the drive died mechanically for whatever reason. Maybe just conicidence.

What you can try: remove the drive and reinstall physically.

Michael

Ok I’ll try to physically reinstall it… Which firmware should I use now? The samsung one (SC03) for my drive(TS-L632M) or the SN-S082M firmware?? Thanks for all your answers :smiley:

Hi,

I’d think, it does not matter. The SC03 firmware might be newer than the SN-S082M firmware.

Michael

Drive removede and reinstalled… Nothing!! My drive, even if fully and correctly recognized by windows, can’t read any disc… I cannot understand why my notebook recognizes it but it does not work… Do you think it is dead??

Okay. Let’s summarize:

[ul]
[li]Drive is properly recognised --> Its core logic is alive and working[/li][li]No errors in Device Manager - have you double checked?[/li][li]Unable to boot from the drive (what bootable disc have you used? I prefer a Live Linux CD or the Ultimate Boot CD for such purpose)[/li][li]Does the drive spin up? Can you hear the disc spinning?[/li][li]Does the “eject” button work?[/li][/ul]
In case I forgot something, please go trough this article: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f61/troubleshooting-my-optical-drive-doesnt-recognize-discs-like-they-should-83984/

Perhaps this is helpful also: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&os=2093&product=3752864&docname=c00849402

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2450829]Okay. Let’s summarize:

[ul]
[li]Drive is properly recognised --> Its core logic is alive and working[/li][li]No errors in Device Manager - have you double checked?[/li][li]Unable to boot from the drive (what bootable disc have you used? I prefer a Live Linux CD or the Ultimate Boot CD for such purpose)[/li][li]Does the drive spin up? Can you hear the disc spinning?[/li][li]Does the “eject” button work?[/li][/ul]
In case I forgot something, please go trough this article: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f61/troubleshooting-my-optical-drive-doesnt-recognize-discs-like-they-should-83984/

Perhaps this is helpful also: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&os=2093&product=3752864&docname=c00849402

Michael[/QUOTE]

I got a little great news! Now I’m sure my drive is alive. It is recognized by windows and I can hear the the disc spinnig(in some case for 3-4 seconds only, in one case it really spins up!) and also the eject button and the “eject” from windows (right click on the drive - eject) fully works. But what happens when I insert a disc?

If I open the drive and then I close it WITHOUT insert a disc, the yellow led on my drive flashes for about 5 seconds. That’s all.

If I open the drive and insert a disc, the drive behaviour is the same as when I DO NOT INSERT a disc. In fact, with a disc inside the drive, if I click on the drive icon, a window pops up saying “Insert a disc in unit E”. If I’m not wrong this means that the drive can’t recognize if I put in a cd or not. (even if i can hear the disc spinning)

I thought my drive was dead, until the moment I tried to put inset different kind of discs: CDs, DVDs, CDs I bought, CDs I create… I found an old CD from a french book: when insert it the drive’s led doesn’t flashes only for 5 seconds, but for more longer. the drive make its normal noise while reading, i can really hear the drive spinnig up and the led is continuously flashing. My drive cannot read this disc, but at least it recognizes to have a cd inside and if I click on the icon of the drive it does not says “insert a disc in unit E” but the win Vista’s “spinning cd icon” pops up near the mouse arrow.

This could maybe indicate that the my drive is alive and it hasn’t got a firmware problem but maybe it has got some issues to Lens or Laser (some mechanical problems, not firmware’s: in fact it seems unable to read)

To answer your question:

[ul]
[li]Drive is fully recognized[/li][li]No errors in device manager (drive recognized with the right name; no yellow !)[/li][li]I tried many different Linux Distro i have at home (gentoo, dream linux, ubuntu) but I cannot boot form the drive[/li][li]I can hear the disc spinning ( most for 5 seconds, one for long)[/li][li]eject button fully works[/li][/ul]

Hi,[QUOTE=magicsimo;2451105]
This could maybe indicate that the my drive is alive and it hasn’t got a firmware problem but maybe it has got some issues to Lens or Laser (some mechanical problems, not firmware’s: in fact it seems unable to read)
[/QUOTE]I agree, I suspect the laser has died for whatever reason.

Michael

So gotta change completely the drive… :frowning:

[QUOTE=magicsimo;2451128]So gotta change completely the drive… :([/QUOTE]Seems so. :frowning: